Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honson
Not applicable
Views: 5,946
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo Flex 5 - Boot From USB

Hi,

I recently got a Flex 5 laptop and am trying to set up dual boot windows 10 / ubuntu. I have a usb set up correctly (can elaborate if needed, but I don't think it is the issue) with ubuntu. However, the Flex 5 doesn't seem to be able to boot from a usb. In the BIOS there doesn't seem to be a legacy boot option; the uefi row is grayed out. When booting from usb within windows 10 - shift click restart and select boot from usb - a message pops up saying that there is no boot from usb compatibility and to select a different boot option, from which I can only select the default windows.

How would I boot from a usb?

If there is another way that I can get dual boot windows 10 / ubuntu that would also work!

jingping
Not applicable
Views: 5,714
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo Flex 5 - Boot From USB

you will have to disable the Secure Boot in BIOS (default is enabled, this blocks non-authorized usb).

I was able to successfully boot from USB on my new flex 5. 

ThinkJapanese
Not applicable
Views: 5,660
Message 3 of 7

Can you please give more specific instructions how to "disable the Secure Boot in BIOS."
My SSD failed, Lenovo installed a new one, and now I need to boot from Acronis recovery media on a USB to restore my backup.

Thanks.

jingping
Not applicable
Views: 5,598
Message 4 of 7

first check out the video of access BIOS for your model, it might be slight different. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=thinkpad+access+boot+menu&oq=thinkpad+access+boot+menu&aqs=chrome..6...

After that, you can 

https://www.google.com/search?ei=_EApW-Uzx-bmArPXhcAH&q=disable+secure+boot+lenovo+thinkpad&oq=disab...

that should be clear. 

vicram
Not applicable
Views: 4,980
Message 5 of 7

I am having Lenova Flex 5 -1570 laptop. I tried disabling "secure boot" option in the bios but did not help. I also noticed that there is a tiny hole next to power button. Should I insert a pin and press the button inside to change the boot option. I am trying to use USB 3.0 flash drive for Ubuntu 18. Please help!

Hightouchtech
Not applicable
Views: 4,654
Message 6 of 7

I had the same issue and had to go into the other section of the bios , PC is reinstalling WIN 10 pro now so can’t see spisiffics but it was in like the 2nd or 3rd tab many hardware 

and it was the SATA raid type , switch from ACHI to Legacy and still disable secure boot , but should open all the settings you need. Use the pin hole button to start up and it gives you the boot menus

Redman11
Not applicable
Views: 3,742
Message 7 of 7

You will need to access the Bios by pressing F2 at startup and change SATA Controller Mode to AHCI. Once this is done you will be able to change Boot mode to Legacy. Save, reboot, and hit F12 at startup and you should see the option to select your USB...etc.

Hope this helps.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors