Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
immermitternach
Paper Tape
Views: 14,647
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo IdeaPad 530s (81EV0039GE) Linux support

Hello,

I am thinking about buying a notebook and the new IdeaPad 530s (15") series looks promising. 

But since I need to be able to use linux i was wondering if there is proper driver support (touchpad, sound, fingerprint-scanner, ...) at this point. If not, when can we expect it?

Best regards!

immermitternach
Paper Tape
Views: 14,437
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad 530s (81EV0039GE) Linux support

Well, I bought it, and, after the latest BIOS update and hours of messing with the UEFI config, finally got it working. The only thing which doesn't seem to be supported is the fingerprint reader.

breizhalcoholic
Paper Tape
Views: 13,613
Message 3 of 6

Hello, i just bought a 530s ideapad (AMD version), but i'm facing several problems. first, when trying to install debian, it seems i don't have access to wifi, but i read there were no drivers yet. so i tried ubuntu, but when i try to either "try before install" or install, i only reach a black screen. i tried in both UEFI and legacy mode, but i can't get any further. Also i didn't find any guide elsewhere, so i wondered if you could light my path!
immermitternach
Paper Tape
Views: 12,932
Message 4 of 6

I don't think you'll have much success with Debian or Ubuntu.. I tried Antergos (Arch), but the system randomly shut down while installing. Manjaro (an other arch dirstibution, featuring a more up-to-date kernel) however worked fine - even though it took me hours configuring the UEFI and getting GRUB to work.

Before trying anything turn off any BIOS settings with may be cause trouble (even though i don't think you have to, just to be sure).

The only problem I encountered was that there isn't a driver available for the fingerprint reader - but that thing is pretty trash anyway.

Edit: I completely forgot: In the beginning, every reboot reset the UEFI - but the last BIOS update fixed it. If you run into the same issue you may have to install windows first, update the BIOS and then install linux. (I actually ended up dual-booting) My BIOS version

immermitternach
Paper Tape
Views: 12,918
Message 5 of 6

J3SKPF3

tintmeaning
What's DOS?
Views: 12,063
Message 6 of 6

Hi. Is it possible to update bios without windows?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors