Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

06-02-2021

Argentina

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 14

Lenovo Legion 7 16ACHg6 - No sound from speakers with ALC 3306

2021-06-02, 1:43 AM

Hey there!

I recently bought a Lenovo Legion 7, and I like it quite a lot.

I installed Manjaro, and everything seems to more or less work, except for the speakers. The funny thing is that headphones, bluetooth, and HDMI work alright for sound.

I've read a couple of bug reports to the Linux Kernel that could be related:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=213159

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=208555

The S3 sleep solutions don't work for this particular system, so I'm guessing it only works on other Realtek cards.

It seems likely that there are some "pins" values that need to be set in order for the speakers to be initialized properly or something like that. The problem is that there seems to be not much information about this sound on the Internet.

Is there a possibility for someone at Lenovo to give the community a datasheet for this sound card or something like that? Or maybe we need to contact Realtek directly?

Any information about the card that could help the community to troubleshoot the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Options

9 Posts

02-07-2021

United States of America

10 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 2 of 14

Re:Lenovo Legion 7 16ACHg6 - No sound from speakers with ALC 3306

2021-06-17, 1:26 AM

I have the 2020 Legion 7i with the same problem. The only reason I didn't return the laptop within the 30 day window is that I figured this would be fixed within the first few months at most. I was interested in the 2021 Legion 7 model, but it has the same problem with the same Realtek ALC3306.

While I'd love to see some datasheets, etc released, I don't see it happening, and I won't be buying the newest model. Right now I'm very actively looking for a new gaming laptop even though I've only had this 2020 Legion for less than a year (since August) because this makes my machine almost unusable. I'm in Linux 95% of the time to get work done, for general tasks, working on hobby projects, etc. Sometimes I want to play games so I reboot to Windows.

It's absolutely ridiculous that I can't get audio output on my speakers. I'm not asking for full Lenovo support here. I don't need or want Lenovo technical support for something I've been using professionally for over 20 years and personally since the 90's. I just want a driver either directly through Lenovo or indirectly through the release of documentation.

Late last year, a good friend of mine who's a director of technical operations was looking at Yoga Slim 7i's for Linux usage. Fortunately I was able to share this issue with him before the company went ahead and made any purchases. Ordinarily a company looking for Linux support would go for the officially supported models, but in this case it was on an as-requested basis for those asking for Linux.

Options

2 Posts

06-17-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 14

2021-06-20, 15:08 PM

Hi - just adding to this thread as having the same issue.

I am a student and just used my grant funding to pay for the lenovo Legion 7 with RTX 3060 GPU. It ticked all the boxes in terms of a solid GPU laptop with an integrated webcam for calls etc which I need as a student.The first thing I did was wipe windows and install Linux (Ubuntu 20.04) and then realise there is no sound from internal speakers. 

Such a bummer! Really difficult to return the laptop etc as the university bought it on my recommendation. No way I could have known about this issue. 

The external speakers and headphones do work but it is frustrating when using it in a private space and I can just turn on a video. Also dont like the idea of wearing headphones on a video call :(

Honestly astonished that the audio codec is ALC3306 and not ALC287, I dont see a reference to ACL3306 anywhere.  After a lot of pain realised that the deepsleep fix doesn't work on ALC3306 codec.

There are two soundcards on the system:

and somehow the fault with the amplifier chips affects both? 

@DaveOber from Lenovo was mentioning something about blacklisting snd_soc_skl in blacklist.conf. This is how my blacklist conf looks:

anything else I can try??

If not, is there any hope that this can be fixed in the near future? I need to decide whether to return or not as I didnt realise linux compatibility would be such a huge issue.

Options

9 Posts

02-07-2021

United States of America

10 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 4 of 14

2021-06-20, 16:44 PM

Internally, under both Windows and Linux, the ID of the sound card does show it to be an ALC 287. What's most likely happening is that Lenovo is re-branding it as a 3306...

And what's really probably also happening is that ACL refers to a combination of the ACL 287 in conjunction with the speaker amplifier hardware in the laptop. Some ALSA devs seem to think this is an issue related to amplier chips in the laptop, which is something that has been becoming more common in laptops and that Linux hasn't had a lot of success in supporting so far.

There's "hda-verb" that would allow us to manually send verbs to the hardware via the snd-hda-intel hardware, but we don't have any data sheets to know how totalk to and initialize the hardware. I'm completely new to sound drivers (and almost completely new to drivers in general) so I don't know where to even begin debugging this especially without any documentation.

I thought maybe if we used PCIE passthrough to get Windows to init the hardware under qemu, might be able to figure out what the Windows driver is doing we might get somewhere, but while Windows sees the device, it seems to be confused as to what the device is. I posted about this under the kernel bug for this particular Legion sound issue if you're interested in trying PCIE passthrough:

After having spent so much time on the qemu/passthrough stuff, I haven't had enough time to really messing with this yet but, it's possible that there are other laptops with the same or similar internal setup that would work. If you force the kernel to use the same features for this laptop, we might make progress. I think you'd need to start looking here:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c

And yeah... It's frustrating. The Legion matches exactly what I'm looking for in terms of specs and its look (though I'd like less LED's). Other than the sound issue, the 2020 Legion has been a great laptop for me, and I'd like to get a 2021 Legion.

Options

9 Posts

02-07-2021

United States of America

10 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 5 of 14

2021-06-20, 18:24 PM

I decided to mess with the PCIE passthrough a little more this morning. The passthrough was setup correctly. Turns out I had to be more aggressive in forcing Windows to use the right drivers. I can now get sound on my laptop while running Linux and a Windows VM. I think this might be an important step in the right direction.

Options

5 Posts

06-02-2021

Argentina

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 6 of 14

2021-06-20, 18:28 PM
Genius!
Options

2 Posts

06-17-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 5
  • Message 7 of 14

2021-06-20, 18:34 PM
wow!
Options

9 Posts

02-07-2021

United States of America

10 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 8 of 14

2021-06-20, 19:05 PM

Thanks for the encouragement!

The tracing didn't work... Looks like the qemu package for Ubuntu 21.04 (well, Kubuntu in my case) doesn't have tracing support enabled so I'm rebuilding the package. It's also possible that this version of qemu isn't recent enough... So if necessary I'll build something more recent entirely by hand.

Options

9 Posts

02-07-2021

United States of America

10 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 9 of 14

2021-06-20, 22:18 PM

Great news! I got the sound card working under Windows. It was really weird finally hearing sound from this laptop in Linux even if it was really through a Windows 10 virtual machine.

I've given much more detailed updates at the filed kernel bug:

Probably worth signing up to bugzilla.kernel.org (if you haven't already) to follow this bug for any updates and to show there's interest in seeing this bug fixed.

Options

9 Posts

02-07-2021

United States of America

10 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 10 of 14

2021-06-21, 16:37 PM

Just wanted to follow up. Early this morning, I managed to get sound working. It's not a full solution, but it does work (several others have confirmed it's working for their Legions):

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)