Options

19 Posts

12-12-2014

52 Signins

323 Page Views

• Message 1 of 9

Lenovo T530 disk too laud on linux

2015-04-03, 23:11 PM

In dual boot or alone linux  ubuntu fedora mint... ect.   force too laud disk 320gb i don't know how to fix it i need linux please help me 

btw no bed sector ...

in windows work perfect 

Solved! See the solution
Options

136 Posts

01-24-2015

United States of America

184 Signins

2941 Page Views

• Views: 2941
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo T530 disk too laud on linux

2015-05-12, 6:06 AM

If the drive is quieter under windows, it may be that Windows is setting the Automatic Acoustic Management features of the drive. The linux smartctl utility allows you to view the automatic acoustic management features of SOME hard drives. Open the terminal and issue the command "man smartctl" to read the options. 

The first thing you might try (assuming your hard drive is /dev/sda)

$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda

Look at the output of that command to see if the drive reports that its acoustic management is adjustable.

HOWEVER beware that mistakes with the these commands can potentially cause unexpected problems including data loss. so be careful.

Options

19 Posts

12-12-2014

52 Signins

323 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2015-05-12, 8:16 AM

u are good guy hahah 

can u say me what a need type to acoustic shut down :) 

i'm newbie in linux

Options

136 Posts

01-24-2015

United States of America

184 Signins

2941 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2015-05-12, 11:39 AM

I think I may have told you wrong. The command for reading the Automatic Acoustic Management on the hard drive is (assuming it is sda)

$ sudo hdparm -M /dev/sda

If you use the man command, you can learn what the options are.

$ man hdparm

once you find the setting that works, you could put the command in the hdparm.conf file so the drive does what you want every time.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

19 Posts

12-12-2014

52 Signins

323 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2015-05-12, 12:41 PM

hfparm -M doesn't support for my hdd 

im interesting about your opinion (BUY new hdd/sdd) ? 

Options

136 Posts

01-24-2015

United States of America

184 Signins

2941 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2015-05-12, 19:35 PM

wrote:

hfparm -M doesn't support for my hdd 

im interesting about your opinion (BUY new hdd/sdd) ? 

I hope you typed hdparm -M

As for the noisy hard drive, here's the deal...The drive defaults to maximum performance -- it tries to read the data as quickly as possible, which means moving the read/write heads into position and stopping them as quickly as absolutely possible. HOWEVER, just like a car, driving it around as quickly as possible and steering and accellerating and braking hard will make a lot more noise AND use more fuel than if you drive a car "gently." Acoustic Management keeps the drive from slapping its heads around as quickly as possible, and it also uses less energy. SO Windows probably has the drive set to "energy saving" mode, which is very similar -- except the energy saving MAY also include turning off the spindle motor. Turning off the spindle motor when the drive isn't in use tends to wear out the hard drive faster than keeping the drive spinning all the time, so unless you are trying to save every watt-hour of battery use, you usually want to keep the drive spinning.

There are all sorts of things you need to change in linux if you want to let the drive spin down most of the time and move the heads gently. Probably between studying smartctl and hdparm you can figure out how to make the drive quieter.

You can probably improve the sound of your drive BUT it probably isn't hurting anything. It's just using more electricity than it needs to and making more noise than it needs to in order to get the job done.

HOWEVER If you have the money and are unhappy with the sound of your drive, you will be MUCH happier replacing the mechanical drive with a Solid State Drive, or SSD. If it's a relatively new SSD it will probably have much better performance than the mechanical drive, and might have a similar lifespan. (Laptop hard drives don't last as well as desktop drives, but they should normally last a few years.) I just put a Crucial CT500BX100SSD1 in my Lenovo E540 and I am very impressed. I can turn the machine on, boot up and be logged in to Ubuntu in less than twenty seconds. Unfortunately the drive cost a LOT more than a mechanical disk, so I definitely consider it a luxury. OH and yes, the laptop is almost silent. The fan doesn't even run as much because there are no disk motors to heat up the insides and of course the battery lasts a lot longer, too.

Just be sure you also spend some additional money and put as much RAM as you can in the laptop, too, because it would be a shame to spend a lot on a SSD and have it wear out using it as a swap device.

Options

19 Posts

12-12-2014

52 Signins

323 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2015-05-15, 9:16 AM
Thank you bro, for help, i will buy ssd.
U must be a teacher in a life :)
I asked this question on 30 forums and chats and nobody answered me
If u go in Europe come in Sarajevo, be my quest :)
Options

136 Posts

01-24-2015

United States of America

184 Signins

2941 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2015-05-15, 11:41 AM
I am glad you feel this answered your question!

I am very sympathetic to the issue, though. Some hard drives are noisy. Years ago I upgraded to a 1-terabyte hard drive in a desktop computer running Ubuntu, and I found the noise of the hard drive very distracting. It sounded like a tiny battle going on inside the computer. Fortunately I discovered the command to change the acoustic management of the drive and it has been silent since. I am sure I sacrificed a tiny amount of speed, but I could not stand to sit next to the box making all that racket!

Now that I think of it, the hard drive must store the setting internally because I have never had to set it again in all these years, through many software updates and at least one complete reinstallation of Ubuntu.

Options

242 Posts

06-06-2011

United States of America

183 Signins

2209 Page Views

• Views: 2209
  • Message 9 of 9

2015-05-20, 16:55 PM
You will like SSD very much. It is much faster and quieter. You can use EaseUs free to duplicate your drive if you want. Have fun!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms