Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nd0x
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,473
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo X1 Carbon 7th Gen - Issues with trackpad and sleep

Hello all,

I'm the happy owner of a new X1 Carbon 7th gen (i7, WQHD Anti-glare, with NFC, no WWAN) and first thing I did was install Ubuntu. I've followed every tutorial I could find on how to configure bios and what to keep in mind when installing linux. After that successfully installed Ubuntu 18.04 and everything seems fine. However after some use I run into two problems on both 18.04 and 19.04 using BIOS version 1.14

Touchpad not working 

The touchpad is not working about half of the times that I boot the system. I found a lot of "fixes" / "workarounds" but none of them work for me. I am also not able to fix it when it's not working unless by rebooting and hoping it starts. 

xinput list:

⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ SYNA8005:00 06CB:CD8C Touchpad          	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ TPPS/2 Elan TrackPoint                  	id=12	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Designer Mouse                          	id=14	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Integrated Camera: Integrated C         	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ ThinkPad Extra Buttons                  	id=13	[slave  keyboard (3)]

dmesg log full of:

i2c_designware i2c_designware.1: controller timed out

Deep sleep not stable

Deep sleep has not been working stable for me. Whenever I close the lid experience on of these three situations:

- It goes to sleep, power led starts blinking but after 10-15 seconds it powers back on, no weird statements in dmesg log

- It goes to sleep, power led starts blinking but after some time the device restarts itself and goes to ubuntu disk decryption screen and stays there (draining my battery)

- Screen goes black, power led stays lit, cannot do anything anymore except reboot

- On a very rare occasion deep sleep seems te be working

(Sleep mode is set to Linux in BIOS)

I really hope someone can help me with this as I'm very excited about the new X1 Carbon. It would be a bummer if i'd had to go back to Windows, since this is not workable.

Thanks

willismonroe
Serial Port
Views: 1,439
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo X1 Carbon 7th Gen - Issues with trackpad and sleep

I posted a thread to the Ubuntu forum here with fixes and tweaks: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Ubuntu/Guide-X1-Carbon-7th-Generation-Ubuntu-compatability/td-p/4489823

I have not had the sleep instability you're describing.  I updated the BIOS using the most current bootable image from the Lenovo site and changed it to Linux sleep in the BIOS settings, and sleep has been very stable for me.

I see that if I run

cat /sys/power/mem_sleep

I get

s2idle [deep]

meaning "deep" sleep is selected over s2idle, but I dont' remember how (or if) I specifically configured that.  You could try the advice in this reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/8b6eci/xp_13_9370_battery_drain_while_suspended/dx4ftc5/

nd0x
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,360
Message 3 of 7

Okay so after a long night of trying to fix this I managed to get the track 100% functional on every boot.

To do this I needed to reinstall Windows and run the Synaptics Touchpad Firmware for Windows 10 (64-bit) firmware update from https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/nl/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

I've also ran the Thunderbolt Firmware Update Utility and the Intel Management Engine 12.0 Firmware for Windows 10 firmware updates. After that the touchpad works perfectly.

However, I've still experienced some issues with sleep. I'll try to figure out what's wrong and get back on that in this thread.

willismonroe
Serial Port
Views: 1,352
Message 4 of 7

Nice find!  They mention the Linux problem in the changelog for the driver (https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n2hgc06w.txt):

[Problem fixes]
- Added workaround to avoid system BIOS hang-up randomly when reboot from Linux Ubuntu 18.04 OEM version

Now if I can only figure out how to upgrade it without installing windows... 

Highlighted
nd0x
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,251
Message 5 of 7

So after a few more days I have no problems anymore with the trackpad or deep sleep. The firmware update as mentioned above fixed the trackpad issues. I've also found out what was causing the sleep problems: bluetooth. 

The 7th Gen documentation page just became available on the Arch Linux wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_(Gen_7)#S3_Suspend_Bug_with_Bluetooth...) and it has a section about S3 Suspend bug with bluetooth. I gave it a try and it is indeed caused by bluetooth. I've created a small fix by disabling bluetooth before sleep and enabling it after sleep by creating a file at /usr/lib/systemd/system-sleep/bluetooth and making it executable

#!/bin/bash
if [ "${1}" == "pre" ]; then
  service bluetooth stop
elif [ "${1}" == "post" ]; then
  service bluetooth start
fi

Hope this helps some people

Priggelpitt
Paper Tape
Views: 1,138
Message 6 of 7

Hey, wanted to share my knowledge:
I had the same issue, BIOS sometimes hanging up after reboot and trackpad issues.
So with "Win-To-Usb" you can essentially make a Windows-Live-Usb-Stick.
So i booted that thing up and installed the Driver and until now everything seems fine, will update if something bad happens Smiley Very Happy
ThinkOperator
Fanfold Paper
Views: 891
Message 7 of 7

@nd0x - thanks for your info/script to get sleep working properly with Bluetooth.  This issue was driving me crazy on my X1Y4 with Mint.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors