Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
giacomopomp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,130
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo X1 carbon screen blinking

My Lenovo X1 Carbon with Ubuntu release 17.10 has started blinking two weeks ago. Once every five minutes, something that looks like an other (almost transparent) screen appears for a very small fraction of time. Immediately after this happens, the screen blinks (gets black) , also in this case for a tiny fraction of time. In some cases, before the screen blinks it seems to shift from left to right.  Sometimes, it starts doing this thing more frequently (about once every 3 seconds for one or two minutes). I can not relate this to any of my actions.

I can't find a better way to describe the problem, hope this gives an idea. Has anyone any suggestion for  at least trying to solve this problem? Thank you in advance.

Guru
Views: 1,098
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo X1 carbon screen blinking

Hi giacomopomp,

1. Does the screen blinking occur during bootup or in the BIOS?

2. Does the screen blinking occur when you are using it with Windows?

3. Does the screen blinking occur with an older version of Ubuntu?

We need more information to better assist you.

Peter

ThinkPad 13 | ThinkPad X40 | ThinkPad W520 | ThinkPad T560 | ThinkCentre E73 SFF | ThinkPad L570 | Yoga 11s | Yoga 3 Pro | Yoga 900 | Yoga Home 900 | Yoga Tablet 2 Pro | Miix 2 10" | IdeaPad Y460p | IdeaPad K1 | 3000 Y300 | Vibe K5 Plus

Give kudos to reward people for their assistance | Mark thread solved if the solution works | I am an active volunteer, not an Lenovo employee

=====================================

List of Sound Enhancement Thread

T520 | W520 ; Dolby ; IdeaPad Slate Tablet ; Yoga 3 Pro ; X100e ; Vibe Shot ; Yoga 900 ; P50 ; P40 Yoga | Yoga 14 | Yoga 460 ; T560 | P50s ; Vibe K5 | K5 Plus ; M0620 Speaker Mod ; Windows 10 / Server 2016 ; Legion Y720 ; UltraSlim DVD Mod

giacomopomp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,075
Message 3 of 8

Hi Peter,

1. The screen is NOT blinking during BIOS or bootup. It starts as soon as the bootup terminates.

2. I don't have Windows, only ubuntu.

3. I have upgraded ubuntu to the newest version: 

>lsb_release -a

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Release:	18.04
Codename:	bionic

The problem has not been solved.

rh78
Punch Card
Views: 991
Message 4 of 8

This might be due to the new panel self refresh (psr) power savings feature enabled in kernel 4.17. To see if it is active on your machine, issue this:

sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_edp_psr_status

If you see yes beside enabled, then it is being used to save power and may be causing your issue.

You can disable it by passing along this kernel parameter in grub: i915.enable_psr=0, then see if it solves the problem.

Psr saves me about .5W (more than 10% savings at idle) with no negative side effects (in Fedora 28) on my X1Y3.

giacomopomp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 978
Message 5 of 8

Hi,

no, it does not seem to be enabled.  This is what I get:

Sink_Support: yes
Source_OK: no
Enabled: no
Active: no
Busy frontbuffer bits: 0x000
Re-enable work scheduled: no
Main link in standby mode: no
HW Enabled & Active bit: no
Performance_Counter: 0

giacomopomp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 974
Message 6 of 8

Maybe this can be helpful, If I run: 

lshw -C video

i get:

*-display 
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 0b
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:43 memory:f0000000-f03fffff memory:e0000000-efffffff ioport:3000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff
rh78
Punch Card
Views: 930
Message 7 of 8

I have the same hardware with PSR on (it is the default in Fedora on 4.17, but evidently not on Ubuntu) and don't hav the issues you describe.

giacomopomp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 889
Message 8 of 8

After noticing that the blinking was "position dependent" I realized that it increased when I was at some special same points, while it decreased in some other areas. It turns out that the areas where this blinking occurs frequently are areas where there are a lot of different wifis, and every time my computer tries to connect to a wifi, it starts blinking. In airplane mode, the blinking stops, so it is definitely happening whenever my computer tries to connect to a wifi.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors