07-30-2020

AF

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo driver Experience

2020-07-30, 19:25 PM
I want to buy a Lenovo IdeaPad but I heard there are many problems with Linux. The most problems can be solved with kernel 5.7 but e.g. the touchpad didn't work. There are some possible workarounds but this would be my first time using Linux and I don't think I'm able to do this. My question is whether it is likely that drivers will be made available for Linux in the future.
Options

15 Posts

06-24-2020

US

21 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 2 of 4

Lenovo driver Experience

2020-07-30, 19:53 PM
The Ideapad is not certified for Linux so the answer is likely that nobody knows. For your first time using Linux I would recommend using hardware that is certified for Linux like a Thinkpad or waiting for when Lenovo starts selling Thinkpads with Linux pre-loaded (hopefully soon).
Options

321 Posts

05-14-2020

US

163 Signins

1725 Page Views

• Views: 1725
  • Message 3 of 4

Re:Lenovo driver Experience

2020-07-31, 14:25 PM

Hello,

Microsoft has a near monopoly on operating systems, so hardware manufacturers work hard, and microsoft works hard to make sure the drivers work.

Linux, has a much smaller user base for commercial for profit version.  (Like Microsoft these charge the users money to use their operating systems.)

Linux also has a large number of open source versions,  The programmers for these open source versions are mostly unpaid volunteers, with a variety of expertise.  Hardware drivers are slightly different for every kind of hardware, so not all flavors of opensource linux have drivers that work on specific hardware.  Unfortunately you only have one specific computer, so it is easiest to keep looking at different flavors of linux until you find the one that works.

Regarding selection of which Linux to try, there are many different ones available, here are some names I can think of quickly, Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, FreeBSD, or even the free evaluation version of Oracle Solaris, inside Oracle you can choose either UNIX or Linux (!)   Here is my advice on selecting one:

A)  If it won't boot using UEFI boot process, just keep on walking by and DON"T ATTEMPT.

B)  Download the Bootable LIVE USB version, use the bootable USB creation software found on the EXACT SAME web page as the Bootable Live Image.

C)  Boot your computer from the Live image, and use it for a WEEK.  If all the features you use work no problem, then install it.   IF something does not work, wifi, the cpu temperature is wrong, graphics, etc., TRY A DIFFERENT flavor of Linux Live USB.

HINT:  A few months ago LENOVO announced supporting and maybe even selling new systems with Open Source FEDORA linux installed.   Several years before that, I picked Fedora WORKSTATION live usb, and using steps B) and C) found acceptable performance.  I am still using Fedora Linux and only boot into Windows once a year or so to review and install the latest BIOS software.  goto getfedora.org  select the Workstation version to download, and try it for a week!  I hope Fedora is the only one you need to download and try!

Sincerely,

Usedtoberich

Options

321 Posts

05-14-2020

US

163 Signins

1725 Page Views

• Views: 1725
  • Message 4 of 4

Re:Lenovo driver Experience

2020-07-31, 14:42 PM

PS>

I use an Ideapad 330-17IKB,  an INTEL chip for the processor.

Usedtoberich

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete