Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emes85
Paper Tape
Views: 1,335
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo x220 tablet pc with ubuntu 12.04 Shuts down and starts up unexpectedly

Hi

I bought a lenovo x220 tablet pc and installed ubuntu 12.04 with GNOME 3 a while ago.
It was working fine at first however recently:

1. the computer shutsdown unexpectedly, the shutdown dialog appears (the one that gives you the option of restart, cancel, or shutdown); I try to cancel it however the laptop would just power down (without going through the proper shutdown routine). Once it powers down it would try to reboot on its own but halfway during the reboot it would power down again.

2. At times when I do shutdown normally, I would just close the lid and the computer would start back up again, without my pressing the power button (just moving the monitor makes the computer startup)

In addition I dropped the computer on the battery side at one time and cracked the plastic casing a little. The above mentioned problems still exists when I use the laptop without the battery.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about finding out what's wrong and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

achim19890
HDMI
Views: 1,301
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo x220 tablet pc with ubuntu 12.04 Shuts down and starts up unexpectedly

Hey mate,

sorry to here about that. Here may be a path to the clearing where a possible solution is waiting: Nowadays it is standard to let the pc (or more exactly the power manager of the OS) listen to the ACPI bus for messages like power button pressed and such things. If such a message surfaces and your power manager picks it up it is possible (if you have this configured as an action) that it shuts down you computer or restarts it. To eliminate this possibility you can try one of the following to things:

1. stop your power manager from working 

2. get yourself superuser rights and use acpi_listen to listen to the acpi bus (if not working then install "acpid", shut down your power manager and start acpid as service)

3. open your system log (e.g. /var/log/messages) and search for things connected to your power manager or acpi

Please tell me if it worked! If not you could also post the content of your system log for analysis.

##############################################################
Using x230t (i5-3320M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 80GB mSata-SSD) and loving it!

"I may not own the world but I own my mind and therefore the world is at my feets." (me)
emes85
Paper Tape
Views: 1,268
Message 3 of 9

Re: Lenovo x220 tablet pc with ubuntu 12.04 Shuts down and starts up unexpectedly

Hi achim19890 thanks for the quick reply and sorry for the late response I had tests all week this week

So it seems that the acpi_listen picked something up when I try to move my screen, which is when I got the shutdown message.

button/power PWRF 00000080 00000001

My laptop powers on the same way as well(When I move my screen). I also get the same problems when I work from a live usb of ubuntu 12.10.

Could this be a hardware problem? I never had it before two weeks ago.

Thanks

emes85
Paper Tape
Views: 1,267
Message 4 of 9

Here's a few more acpi_listen events

button/power PWRF 00000080 00000002 (When I moved the screen down a bit, did not close)
^[ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00005009 (When I put the screen in tablet mode)
ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 0000500a (When I came out of tablet mode)
button/power PWRF 00000080 00000003 (when I moved the screen again)

All these events triggered the shutdown dialog.

Thanks in advance

achim19890
HDMI
Views: 1,264
Message 5 of 9

Ok, thats weird. Have you tried to disable your power manager or apcid? If not then do it by killing their process or stopping them with their init script and then try the same actions again. 

There is also this: http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Thinkpad_ACPI 

You can find out if the module is already running by typing "lsmod | grep thinkpad". (If the output is empty it is not running) If it is running you could try to remove or disable the module by typing "rmmod thinkpad-acpi".

"I may not own the world but I own my mind and therefore the world is at my feets." (me)
emes85
Paper Tape
Views: 1,247
Message 6 of 9

Hi shutting down acpid or the power manager did not work.

I think the problem is with my turning the laptop lid into tablet mode; that's when the shutdown dialog comes about then shutsdown the computer; When the computer restarts all the programs that were loaded are still there.

Do you think flipping the screen is causing an auto hibernation?

achim19890
HDMI
Views: 1,228
Message 7 of 9

Can't think of any reason why it should do this when the power manager is not on. Normally only a daemon or other program which is listening to the acpi bus can trigger such an action.

Do you see any errors when your laptop has restarted? Is your laptop really hibernating or may it be that is just switching between two modes? Maybe you can make a video and post it somewhere?

emes85
Paper Tape
Views: 1,189
Message 8 of 9

hey

So I installed linux mint debian and still had the same problems. I then decided to clean my laptop, I unscrewed the back and took out the harddrives and memory, then I air dusted every orifice in the laptop. All of a sudden it seems like the problem is gone.

I'm not sure what I did there though.

achim19890
HDMI
Views: 1,179
Message 9 of 9

Sounds like something provoked a short circuit while you've been turning your laptop screen.

I have a somehow similiar behaviour with my desktop pc: If I plug in a USB device with (what i believe it to be) a static load into my frontpanel USB ports a restart gets triggered. The reason could be in this case that the voltage burst is getting into the reset button circuitry and simulate a press by - because i'm not sure hot it is build I'm guessing at this point - either forcing a interrupt onto the circuit (meaning that the circuit voltage/current collapses) or sending a high voltage impulse (the same that you get by compressing a piezo crystal e.g. like in a gas lighter).

What I wanted to say is that it could have been similar in your case. But the logical conclusion of this would be that the circuitry design is a bad one...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors