Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Antony0312
Paper Tape
Views: 37,486
Message 1 of 39

Lenovo y510p and Linux

Hi!

Is the Lenovo y510p compatible with GNU/Linux distribution like Ubuntu?

Thanks!

highlightall
Fanfold Paper
Views: 37,315
Message 2 of 39

Re: Lenovo y510p and Linux

It is "supposed" to be.

Now, that doesn't mean it won't be a pain in the ass. Personally, I've been trying to install a different distro since yesterday. The "UEFI" and "secure boot" coupled with the NVIDIA graphics card have been (at least in my case), a huge pain in the ass.

MidnightNinja
What's DOS?
Views: 37,283
Message 3 of 39

Can you please explain how you did this?  Im a bit stuck(I've gotten grub to install, ubuntu does not boot(blackscreen) and if I select windows in grub, nothing occurs.

Highlighted
Antony0312
Paper Tape
Views: 37,272
Message 4 of 39

I agree,

Can you explain the trick you did for the installation?

Antony0312
Paper Tape
Views: 37,256
Message 5 of 39

I think with Ubuntu 13.04 there is nothing special to do for the installation, is that true?

clarenc3
Fanfold Paper
Views: 37,048
Message 6 of 39

I forward this; the detection of two graphics cards (nVidia and Intel) is a massive pain (I had to force nomodeset), even more so because the Intel card is hardware disabled.
highlightall
Fanfold Paper
Views: 36,954
Message 7 of 39

I'm posting this to potentially help others with the same model that have been having issues installing a linux distro. As I was going through the whole ordeal, I thought how useful would it have been if someone had the same model and mentioned what they went through. Just to summarize the headaches I experienced when installing Fedora.

1. EFI/UEFI: I could not boot off in UEFI mode when installing my OS. Fedora is supposedly UEFI compatible, but that was a no go. Only way I could boot  was to resort to Legacy mode. Good news is that Lenovo (at least on this model) doesn't restrict you only to UEFI. Even though I don't use Windows, I decided to keep the windows partition, and it still does boot using Legacy mode.
  2. Graphics card: The 750m is an "Optimus" card. You cannot switch off Optimus through bios -- if you could I think it would resolve about 90% of the problems. One method has been using "Bumblebee" for Optimus support (which I never tried since NVIDIA "supposedly" provides native support). Other method is to use NVIDIA's native support for Optimus cards. But only recently did NVIDIA provide native support for Optimus cards in Linux. Since its support is recent, it is unstable and buggy.  You can obviously go to fallback mode and not use your NVIDIA card, but then that defeats paying $200-$300 extra for a decent graphics card.

Here's some of the issues that I experienced with the NVIDIA driver:

• Boot would get stuck at splash screen. Solved by not using nomodeset.
  • Boot into black screen. Solved by reverting to tty and manually starting X. (I do this everytime, a pain in the ass)
  • Following boot, X crashes. Solved by removing Gnome 3 and replacing it with a different DE. Good news is that Gnome 3 is a POS anyway in my opinion, so no loss there.
  • External monitor connected through VGA port stuck at 640x480 resolution. Different ways of trying to change resolution results in either no effect or crash of X. Only way to support is another hack: disconnect monitor, boot X, connect monitor, manually add a new modeline, and switch to it using xrandr. I have to do this EVERYTIME.

I had to manually install the ethernet driver as well, but that was straightforward.  I think it took me a total of 2 weeks to figure out how to fix some of the issues (or use a hack like manually starting X everytime).  I think the major issue has been that this whole Optimus and native support is "recent", so sometimes you find that a google search brings either nothing, or a  forum post 2 months old that describes the problem you're having but has not been resolved.

ppham1504
What's DOS?
Views: 36,201
Message 8 of 39

Hello,

Did anyone have any success installing Linux on their Y510P? I have searched on Google but haven't seen any thing so far.

Thanks,

Joe

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged to this thread. Was; How to install Linux on Y510p

SanchoPanza
What's DOS?
Views: 36,139
Message 9 of 39

Hi there!

First I turned off Secure Boot.  Then I created a linux swap partition first using gparted (from livecd).  Then installed Ubuntu side by side with Windows 8 (with Windows side slightly bigger).  I end up with Ubuntu bootable but Win 8 not bootable.  So from Ubuntu, I run boot-repair to end up with both Windows 8 and Ubuntu bootable on this laptop (I have to use the fourth entry on the grub2 list to boot into regular Windows 8, I think it shows up as 'Windows 8 UEFI recovery').  Wish I could edit the grub2 list and eliminate some of the entries that boot-repair makes but doing that looks complicated to me.  If there is a simple way to fix this or alternative method, I would appreciate hearing it.

When booting into Ubuntu, I get a black screen but you can manually turn the brightness up using the keyboard shortcuts.  That part is more of an annoyance than a huge problem.  If someone has a fix for that I would appreciate hearing it.

One other issue is that only the Intel HD4600 integrated gpu is detected in Ubuntu.  I haven't messed with the nvidia 750m because quite frankly what will be done on the Ubuntu side can all be handled by the hd4600 and battery life should be better too.  Intesive graphic applications and/or gaming will be done from Windows using 750m gpu's.

So far, I am pleased with this laptop.  Questions still to be answered from day to day usage are:

*how does battery life compare Ubuntu vs Windows

* how difficult is it to get nvidia drivers up for 750m up and running on Ubuntu

Also, I was able to get the blu ray player to work using VLC (which needs to have the video set to use Open GL or you get a green screen) and the script/instructions found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53mXYbRLhOM

Hope this helps someone and if I've missed something or someone knows of a better solution or approach, please share.

Thanks,

Sancho

lenklone
What's DOS?
Views: 31,933
Message 10 of 39

I just bought the Lenovo y510p as well and stuggled with getting any distro to just work out of the box until Sabayon came out with 14.01! Wireless, sound, Bluetooth, and you get use of the main NVideo SLI card (I have the dual 755m model). You still have to disable the Secure Boot(but don't have to turn on Legacy Support).  Hope this helps! 

http://www.sabayon.org/latest

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors