Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcloaked
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,682
Message 21 of 39

Re: Lenovo y510p and Linux

I found that it was well worth spending the time to run the free update from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. It is a big download, and takes quite some time. But once that is done, then you will then need to update the drivers for particular components like the clickpad, the graphics and maybe the network cards including wireless. However the Lenovo update download page does not seem to have the latest driver versions and I found that by going to the manufacturer's web pages for the above I could get more recent drivers which was a bit of a pain to install. But once that was done then I could start configuring the laptop to the way I wanted it.  Also it may be worth debloating the laptop when you still have Windows 8 before the update to 8.1 and remove anti-virus packages (since Windows has its own Windows Defender) and any other packages such as MS Office since LibreOffice is free of charge and can handle all the recent document formats. Unless you have extensive use of underlying code in spreadsheets there is likely little need to keep the MS version.

However once you have Windows 8.1 with full updates to drivers and to the operating system then you can set it up to boot to the desktop rather than the more tablet like interface but that is a personal choice of course. I have found the machine quite fast since it is a quad core CPU, and runs nicely though I have to admit I really do not like the clickpad and preferred the older touchpad with physical buttons so in order to have the clickpad usable for me I set it up with soft buttons to do right click to avoid having to actually depress the corner of the clickpad which I find really irritating. The alternative is to plug in a mouse which works even better but defeats the purpose of having a machine that will work without the need for external input devices!

Good luck and hope you enjoy your new machine. I am enjoying mine now with dual boot, and with Windows working in a satisfactory way even though it took me a few weeks working in the evenings to get the WIndows side of it into decent shape, and then a few more weeks to get dual boot and Arch Linux working nicely as well!

mcloaked
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,682
Message 22 of 39

Oh and by the way it is also worth spending a little time making a backup recovery usb drive just in case you manage to trash the system, or in the event that the hard drive fails.  If you don't do that then it would be quite a bit of hassle getting Windows back on the machine starting from scratch.

daeden
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,491
Message 23 of 39

I was finally able to install Arch Linux successfully, but I have hit a serious snag. I just can't get X Server to work. I went to NVIDIA's website to download the right drivers, and I followed the steps pertaining to NVIDIA Optimus installation, but the moment I want to start the X Server using 'startx' the screen goes black, the GPU fan kicks up and, after roughly ten seconds, the machine restarts.

Were you able to get your Linux install to provide you a desktop environment? I'd like to get GNOME to work, but I'm really stuck. I'm thinking of restarting the install from scratch in the hope that I screwed something up along the way. Robot Sad

mcloaked
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,476
Message 24 of 39

I replied to your post on the arch linux forum but I will copy it here.

On my Y510p I only used the open source nouveau driver, and installed the main set of KDE packages so my display manager is the default that comes with KDE. My system never had any issue with starting X and getting the desktop running. After the initial install with a text console I then simply ran pacman to install the kde set of packages, and enabled the graphical desktop before rebooting and it just worked. I know that the proprietary Nvidia drivers may need more manual setting up, but since I never used this and only nouveau I have no experience of the proprietary drivers to be able to guide you. Maybe other users who do ise the Nvidia drivers can help.

Having said that I don't actually use the the full range of the hybrid graphics and the system boots and uses the integrated Intel graphics chip. I did have a dabble some months ago at using bumblebee but I could not get it to work so I reverted to letting it use the integrated graphics and not the discrete graphics card. So for me the simplest solution was to just use the open source driver and not try to set up the drivers provided on the Nvidia web site.

daeden
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,463
Message 25 of 39

Thanks for your quick response mcloacked!

I have not tried the Nouveau drivers yet and it definitely gives me something new to try. I've read that NVIDIA's drivers are supposed to outperform Nouveau, but at this point, I can live with that. I have also considered trying Bumblebee, but I do not have high hopes for it.

I have a couple questions for you regarding your install:

1. Did you have to install the Intel drivers for the integrated GPU?
  2. DId you have to modify 'xorg.conf' at all, or was it just autogenerated?
  3. Is your HDMI out working?

mcloaked
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,457
Message 26 of 39

I usually install the following packages for intel machines with intel graphics:

intel-dri
intel-tbb
intel-ucode
libva-intel-driver
xf86-video-intel

You should also have the nouveau packages installed.  You can check which nouveau packages are available in the arch repos by doing pacman -Ss nouveau but usually it needs:

nouveau-dri
xf86-video-nouveau

You may have to clean up cruft left behind when you remove the Nvidia drivers to make your system clean before installing the nouveau drivers.

Also I have in my systems:

mesa
mesa-demos
mesa-libgl

There is no need to have an xorg.conf file at all within /etc/X11 but there are default config files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ which can be amended to tweak settings like the clickpad settings. However you can make an xorg.conf file if you want to change defaults but usually the system will be fine without one.

I only use the laptop screen so I have not tried connecting to an external screen using hdmi on this machine. However on a different (desktop) machine I use hdmi to connect to a monitor and it works fine, including the sound to the speakers within the monitor, but it required making sure that the monitor was set to display the input arriving on the hdmi cable, and the sound required suitable selection of the pulse-audio channels and settings in the kde sound settings - but as I said that was not on the Y510p laptop. I would imagine that hdmi output from the laptop would require similar setup.

daeden
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,448
Message 27 of 39

That is very interesting. I did not install the Intel drivers at any point. I'm going to try the NVIDIA route one more time with the Intel drivers installed as well. If that does not work I'm going to try something as close to your build as possible.

Thanks a lot! You've given me some good ideas. I'm not ashamed to admit that I was really down in the dumps yesterday when I could not get things to work.

mcloaked
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,438
Message 28 of 39

Hope you get it working. You might also find a lot of useful information in the arch wiki for example at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xorg

and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/hybrid_graphics

Do a bit of googling around the arch wiki and you will find there is a lot of useful hints about how to get things working.

daeden
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,427
Message 29 of 39

So I've gone through the entire install from scracth and tried to emulate your build. Everything installed correctly, but the Nouveau install warns me about enabling KMS. I ignore it for a second and install xorg-server, xorg-server-utils and xorg-xinit. Finally, I attempt to manually start the X Server, but it fails.

I check the error log and see errors:

(EE) [drm] KMS not enabled

No devices detected

Fatal server error:

no screens found

The first issue involving KMS is very frustrating because I manually disable that feature in the 'grub.cfg' file by passing 'nomoseset'. I do this because when I do not, the display freezes up. The machine is responsive, but the frame buffer appears stuck.  Did you run into this issue?

daeden
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,417
Message 30 of 39

I might be having a similar problem to one you described.

How did  you "revert to tty and manually start X"?

I'm having the issue where I have X Server installed, but it won't start with KMS disabled via the kernel parameter 'nomodeset'. Unfortunately, if I remove that parameter, then the display freezes at the login prompt and I can't do anything! It's a really frustrating situation.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors