Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
polo23
Fanfold Paper
Views: 75,548
Message 1 of 31

Lenovo yoga book - Linux

Hello,

has anybody of you tried to install Linux on this device? Is in BIOS option to boot from USB (I would use this cable: USB - OTG kabel, konektor microUSB)

Thank you in advance.

Pavel

polo23
Fanfold Paper
Views: 75,265
Message 2 of 31

Re: Lenovo yoga book - Linux

Hello,

today I had a chance to play with Lenovo yoga book in shop. So what I got learn? I created LiveCD bootable USB medium with Linux (Fedora 24 distribution) and connected it with microUSB... I entered to BIOS/EFI of Lenovo yoga book, choose "boot menu" and I could saw, that my USB stick was detected - so I choose it and restarted yoga book.

It started to boot and after a while it really displayed boot menu "Start Fedora workstation". But I couldnt to choose anything, because keyboard was inactive and it didnt react on touches on display as well. Thats all what I could trySmiley Sad

So, now, I got an idea to use MicroUSB hub

I would to connect that to MicroUSB konektor of yoga book and to the hub I would connect LiveCD USB stick and keyboard. Do you think that this solution would work?

Thanks for posts.

Pavel

slseed1969
What's DOS?
Views: 74,779
Message 3 of 31

Please update me on your progress . I'm very interested in being able to dual boot Android and Linux on this device. 

Fanatole
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 74,601
Message 4 of 31

Hello everyone.

I have the same issue with Yoga Book Windows 10 version.
I want to make Linux/Windows dual boot.

First I connect the USB-hub per Usb-microUsb adapter
Next step, I create create a bootable USB stick with ubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso on Linux PC with standart utilite.
Thrird I connect usb-keyboard and usb-bootable-stick to hub
After then, I set off seaure mode in BIOS, reboot the Yoga and boot from usb stick.

Good news -- I can choose any menu punks in GRUB loader -- try Ubuntu, Install etc
Bad news -- when I try to choose any I get the black screen only, nothing happends.

Guys, maybe somebody has any idea what's wrong?

If you have a same issue please update.

I'm staing tuned. Thanks.

IDDQD
polo23
Fanfold Paper
Views: 74,544
Message 5 of 31

Hello Fanatole,

I would like to cooperate with you on the solution of mentioned problem. So, I can see that we have the same goal - DUAL BOOT (Windows/Linux). I still have not bought Lenovo yoga book, so I always have to go to shop a ask shop assistant. "Please let me boot my LiveCD with Linux Smiley Happy" But, back to the problem...

Here are steps, which I would do if I was you.:

1] Download  Fedora media writter and install Fedora 25 on USB stick (the best stick is with LED diode - you can see if it works when the screen is black).

2] Connect USB stick to yoga book and try to boot.

a] With secure boot off

b] With secure boot on (we have to test all possibilities)

Please let us know if the screen will be still black. If the screen is black watch the LED diode... If LED is not blinking and screen is still black for 5 minutes at least... hmm thats bad Smiley Sad

Fedora 25 has the newest kernel (4.8.6). Btw. I tried to boot with Fedora 24 - result is the same as yours - black screen.

Pavel

Fanatole
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 74,460
Message 6 of 31

Sure! Thank you, Pavel (Btw, my name is Anatoly), it will be nice to cooperate, maybe we can find the solution.
I'll try to do what you wrote, I guess, it has a sence. 
I'm going to update topic and show you results.

And I find your  way to "hack" yoga pretty funny (: I mean ask shop assistant to boot Linux from USB, now I want to try to repeat it (=

IDDQD
Fanatole
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 74,196
Message 7 of 31

Hello.
I'm back. So, I found a time to play with Linux and Yoga Book again, and I have a bad news.

1. I've found USB-stick with led, formatted it to fat32 and created the USB stick from a running live environment
2. Next, I tested the USB-stick
2.1 Checked the usb for errors -- no errors
2.2 Verified the iso checksum -- all right
2.3 Try to boot from this USB-stick on other laptop(Lenova Yoga 2 Pro) -- I can boot and work
3. Finally, I connect it to Lenova book and try to boot
There are not different between is the secure mode 'on' or 'off'. I get the same -- black screen with a tiny white text cursor on top left. The led on USB is blinking all the time, some about 2-3 times per second, like it's being read, but nothing happends. I was waiting for a 5 minutuse and turn it off.

I know, there is Android version of the Yoga Book. Now I'm going to try boot Android from USB.

IDDQD
polo23
Fanfold Paper
Views: 74,114
Message 8 of 31

Hello Anatoly,

thank you for your time and help. I dont think, that version with Android will be better... I mean  - the attempt to install Linux there will end with fail - black screen. I am disappointed - I was looking forward to this yoga book so muchSmiley Sad(

My last questions

* have you tried to install Fedora 25?

* have you checked BIOS/UEFI, that there is not another option, which could help?

Pavel

slseed1969
What's DOS?
Views: 74,065
Message 9 of 31

Can you also try GalliumOS ? It's a Linux distro designed to run on chromebooks and may have better support for the hardware in the Yoga book. 

https://wiki.galliumos.org/Welcome_to_the_GalliumOS_Wiki

Fanatole
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 73,919
Message 10 of 31

Hi pavel. 
Thank you for you help. I'm little disappointed about Yoga Book too.

Answer on you question:
* yes

* There is a pretty poor for a settings BIOS, just sequre mode on/off and BIOS back flash

About Android, I mean, if I can run it from USB-stick it means i have OS matter, if I can't there is the other issue(BIOS,UEFI, etc.)

Hello slseed1969.
I'm going to try GalliumOS, but now I guess it's not a OS version matter. 

IDDQD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors