Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

01-07-2021

India

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 81 of 90

Re:Linux: Fn-keys not working - Thinkpad E14 AMD Gen 2

2021-04-23, 5:25 AM

I would request you all to mail customercare@lenovo.com and mention all the issues . I did mail as well . Maybe a bigger response would let them know that lot more users are affected by this . Of course its gonna decide whether I should  buy a Lenovo device next time (maybe you all as well).

I did mail . And I got a response that the corresponding team has been informed . 
BTW a new BIOS came . There is nothing related to our issue in the changelogs .

Options

3 Posts

09-03-2020

Germany

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 82 of 90

2021-04-23, 12:28 PM

New BIOS. No improvement in this version.

CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE
 Version 1.12

[Important updates]
- Enable Rollback Flash prevention.

[New functions or enhancements]
None

[Problem fixes]
- Fixed an issue that the symbols of "(" and ")" on Numpad when the languageID is Arabic. 
Options

194 Posts

03-06-2021

Germany

85 Signins

1245 Page Views

• Views: 1245
  • Message 83 of 90

2021-04-23, 15:31 PM

@ Ddenno wrote:

Lenovo will not fix this with a high probability, since this is not a BIOS error.
I wrote instructions on how to fix it all.

https://github.com/masksshow/Thinkpad-E14-15-AMD-Gen-2-FIX

If anything, ask questions.

@MarkRHPearson, seriously, this is not a done my mistake, I got my hands on a ACPI

dump of such a box. It seems like is 'broken on purpose'. Not supporting an OS is OK,

breaking it just because is NOT OK.

Can you please explain? :)

Options

519 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

401 Signins

4326 Page Views

• Views: 4326
  • Message 84 of 90

2021-04-23, 17:29 PM

Hi,

This is definitely not broken on purpose - I'm 100% sure of that. None of our products deliberately break things for Linux and generally our teams are becoming more and more Linux aware.

Dave pointed out quite early in this thread that this isn't a linux certifed system which means the Linux team has limited levers to pull on to get things fixed. The product teams can choose to ignore us - they usually don't but if they're busy, we're bottom of the pile - just the way it is. We'll do our best but we just cannot guarantee a solution.

I haven't read the entire thread in detail so apologies if I miss anything but the key point from the linked github fix seems to be getting this into the BIOS ACPI tables

sed -i 's/Name (H8DR, 0x00)/Name (H8DR, One)/g' dsdt.dsl && \

I can definitely forward that on to the BIOS team and ask for it to be implemented (that should be a reasonable request). Please let me know if I'm missing anything else important - I'd like to get everything into one request as cleanly and as focussed as possible.

I saw there were also issues around sleep - which I suspect is because Windows uses S0ix and that's only just available in Linux (and I still haven't tested it...too **bleep** busy). I'm not going to be able to get that one changed easily - sorry :( Hopefully with support being added in Linux it solves that by update (and if anybody can confirm that would be *awesome*)

Mark

Options

519 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

401 Signins

4326 Page Views

• Views: 4326
  • Message 85 of 90

2021-04-23, 17:31 PM

Well that's amusing - I've never come across the bleep feature before....and I didn't even thing I was using a rude word in the above :D

That's made my day...

Options

5 Posts

01-07-2021

India

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 86 of 90

2021-04-23, 17:42 PM

Thanks for your considerations. As of now , 

1) fingerprint dosent work in linux 

2) the function keys issues 

3) I can't wake up the laptop from sleep using keyboard or touchpad in both windows and Linux (I'm not sure if that's how it generally works with lenovo laptops either ,but I had a ThinkPad e520 before and it  worked fine like that .

4)Sleep in linux happens late  sometimes . I'm not sure if this is this laptop specific either .

Options

194 Posts

03-06-2021

Germany

85 Signins

1245 Page Views

• Message 87 of 90

2021-04-23, 19:41 PM

@ MarkRHPearson wrote:

Hi,

This is definitely not broken on purpose - I' 100% sure of that. None of our products deliberately break things for Linux and generally our teams are becoming more and more Linux aware.

Dave pointed out quite early in this thread that this isn' a linux certifed system which means the Linux team has limited levers to pull on to get things fixed. The product teams can choose to ignore us - they usually don' but if they' busy, we' bottom of the pile - just the way it is. We' do our best but we just cannot guarantee a solution.

I haven' read the entire thread in detail so apologies if I miss anything but the key point from the linked github fix seems to be getting this into the BIOS ACPI tables

sed -i '/Name (H8DR, 0x00)/Name (H8DR, One)/g' dsdt.dsl && \

I can definitely forward that on to the BIOS team and ask for it to be implemented (that should be a reasonable request). Please let me know if I' missing anything else important - I' like to get everything into one request as cleanly and as focussed as possible.

I saw there were also issues around sleep - which I suspect is because Windows uses S0ix and that' only just available in Linux (and I still haven' tested it...too **bleep** busy). I' not going to be able to get that one changed easily - sorry :( Hopefully with support being added in Linux it solves that by update (and if anybody can confirm that would be *awesome*)

Mark

Mark, every developer who zeros out code, and know things will break is doing that on purpose, I'm sorry.

( The reason may not be him, but a Company decision but the result is the same .. )

The sleep issue is another good example of that.. While supporting some features some OS is adding, we kill

working code for no reason. And this is not an issue about manpower or anything. All code is there, the OSI code

is there to handle all the other unusual things Windoze is doing, where is the problem to add a NEW variable in there

and store a ONE or a ZERO for whatever Windoze version supports those new features? And then instead of throwing ZEROs

in the code and killing it, add an If block in about 5 places and be done. ( what would that be 5 minutes work? )

The problem by itself is self-made too ( and I let out contracts and deals with other companies ).

That whole Linux support is a non-issue ( I talk about ACPI implementation, arch code initialization etc ).

Linux by itself is trying to be ACPI spec-compliant, so things like spec ACPI code, etc, etc should work,

*IF* the BIOS who presents to be some ACPI version compliant would be that and not a bunch of hacks around

Windows. That is what happens when supporting an OS that is passing its BUGs to the BIOS makers and BIOS

system integrators for decades.

Seriously dump your ACPI tables and look for the OSTP Method in Lenovo BIOSes, and you tell me

which recent Lenovo machine will boot things like Windows95, NT, ME, etc  :-).

Also, Linux is ignoring that code by default anyway, I mentioned that already there:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-Linux-Discussions/BIOS-BUG-Common-BIOS-mistake-on-Linux/m-p/5070747?page=1#5281756

Hell, there isn't even 64bit math support in the tables.

Also, don't get me wrong I don't want to blame you or any particular developer, I am myself one, and I

know how difficult it could get, when working under NDA's and having to follow some agendas you may

or may not agree with ;).

( I guess once I'm home again I start this Linux vs Distros thread and add those BIOS issue while at it :),

do you have any suggestions for a good thread name? )

Gabriel

Options

1 Posts

05-25-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 88 of 90

2021-05-25, 21:37 PM

FYI: In Manjaro I had to install acpi-tools with snaps then acpid form the gui package manger to get it to work . Keys work fine now thanks.

Options

1 Posts

05-27-2021

Finland

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 89 of 90

2021-05-27, 11:34 AM

I was trying to fix the Fn problem by updating the BIOS. Update Broke my whole Artix install. Now I can't open anything on desktop, even terminal won't open. I don't have time troubleshoot what went wrong, maybe I try to make fresh-install and hope that works...

I don't get it, Lenovo promise 2020 upping their Linux support, but I think it's only getting worse. 

Options

194 Posts

03-06-2021

Germany

85 Signins

1245 Page Views

• Message 90 of 90

2021-05-27, 11:45 AM

@ Tehc wrote:

I was trying to fix the Fn problem by updating the BIOS. Update Broke my whole Artix install. Now I can' open anything on desktop, even terminal won' open. I don' have time troubleshoot what went wrong, maybe I try to make fresh-install and hope that works...

I don' get it, Lenovo promise 2020 upping their Linux support, but I think it' only getting worse. 

Well, that laptop doesn't have Linux support.

Did you check your dmesg? Any errors from GPU/HDD/memory ?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms