Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jerryhispano
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,367
Message 1 of 7

Linux Mint/Ubuntu touchpad drivers u410

Hi, can one of the lenovo reps provide, or explain why they are not providing touchpad drivers for the u410 in linux. I have a bit of a hack going that allows tapping on a certain area of the touchpad to register as a right click, but depressing the clicker to the right of the marking just does a normal left click.

Any method of registering a right depress of the touchpad as a right click will do me.

Thanks.

johnv474
802.11n
Views: 13,301
Message 2 of 7

Re: Linux Mint/Ubuntu touchpad drivers u410

I am not a Lenovo rep.

I think there are touchpad drivers out there already.  When I needed to get a Thinkpad working, I remember searching for how to configure trackpoint in Linux.  There is some useful touchpad information on the wiki pages, IIRC.

The package pointing-device-settings or gnome-pointing-devices may be something like what you need.

HTH

jerryhispano
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,270
Message 3 of 7

Tried gsynaptics and gpointing-device settings there, neither were of any use. I think it's related to the touchpad only having a single pressable button with the touchpad figuring out a left or right click based on where you're touching when the single button is depressed.

Really infuriating, I've spent day's trying to get it working.

Thanks for answering john.

reverseinverse
What's DOS?
Views: 13,202
Message 4 of 7

create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/51-clickpad.conf

(i had to create the xorg.conf.d folder)

put the following text into it, log off and log on:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Default clickpad buttons"
MatchDriver "synaptics"
Option "SoftButtonAreas" "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"
EndSection

I intend on playing with that 82% value, perhaps changing it down to 62%, because the height that the right button responds from isn't the same as the left button with the above solution.

What way did you set up the hard drives with the u410? I wiped both, put mint 13 on the SDD and have the HDD for data. Do you know if that's a sane idea? I've heard SDDs might not last very long, but then I've also heard info to the contrary. Also think the mic doesn't work out of the box. Did you set up the nvidia card with bumblebee? Nice laptop really, have had to reinstall linux 4 or 5 times to get to this (finally stable) state though, given all my attempted twickery. Had intended on putting ubuntu studio on it, but it kept freezing (as did mint). Would love any info on moving the home folder (and anything else that makes sense) to the HDD. From Galway... Out

jerryhispano
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,184
Message 5 of 7

Ha, I'm also in Galway. You in NUIG? We should meet up!

Ya, what you have done is the hack I mentioned in the first post. I reverted it as it left a dead spot for scrolling on the touchpad. I accidentily found out that a 2-finger tap anywhere on the touchpad does a right click, so I'm getting used to that.

As for installation, I broke the RASI array, put mint on the 22GB part of the SSD, put a swap area on the remaining 8.2 GB part (just bigger than the ram so it can hibernate if needed), and i set the u410 to boot from the SSD in the BIOS. I havn't actually deleted windows, it's still there and functioning, though quite slow being on the HDD only.

In the mint installer somewhere in the "other install" or whatever the last selection is called it gives you options to put different folders on different partitions. I didn't bother though, and I don't know how you would go about changing it now.

I had to do one re-install of mint, the first time it went swimmingly and i got all set up and I got the stupid idea into my head to upgrade Cinnamon. Bit of a disaster.

jerryhispano
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,182
Message 6 of 7

Oh, and I've disabled the graphics card in the bios, word on the internet is that it's worse than the new intel integrated HD4000 and i didn't want it using power.

I'm not sure about the mic, im not in a position to test it right now.

whiskas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,965
Message 7 of 7

Hey folks,

I'm on a U310 but I figure it's a similar touchpad. I can't for the life of me get the middle-button emulation (i.e., click with both fingers and issue a middle-button command). Either a right-click event is triggered or the cursor moves erratically 

I tried the 51-clickpad.conf route described, but as far as I can tell, nothing has changed; I'm not even sure this was read/processed upon restart. I've also tried everything in the mouse/touchpad configuration page, to no avail.  Any advice?

(I never realized just how often one relies on that - say, highlight something and paste by middle click - until I got to this computer where it doesn't work. Aaaaaaarrrghh!)

Cheers from Germany,

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors