Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

407 Posts

03-06-2021

Germany

227 Signins

2420 Page Views

• Views: 2420
  • Message 31 of 78

Re:Linux S0ix support on AMD platforms

2021-09-28, 20:57 PM

@ jixbo wrote:

Really? Have a look, half of the messages on this thread are you not helping and just making noise. If you don't wanna help, fine, but don't clutter the thread telling everyone to go away.

Listen, read the effing thread, i was the one testing all this , contributing patches and testing all sort of things for weeks.

So yeah , go the eff away if to lazy to read and figure by yourself. Getting tired of people like you.

Options

13 Posts

11-29-2018

Germany

29 Signins

142 Page Views

• Views: 142
  • Message 32 of 78

2021-09-29, 0:31 AM

Folks, relax – the hard-/firmware issue is frustrating enough :)) Let's keep noise and jitter low.

@jixbo Yes, it IS hard to read all that. But it doesn't take too long and I think it is worth reading. I learned a lot.
@osnix We can only estimate how many hours you spent on that, and we are grateful for your findings, scripts, patches, kernel parameter hints and patience.

Options

1360 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

578 Signins

7025 Page Views

• Views: 7025
  • Message 33 of 78

2021-09-29, 2:54 AM

Hello,

@osnix, my new machine is an L15 AMD with 64MB RAM and 45 Watt Hour Battery.

I attempted to decompile my dmidecode file, and found no references to S3 activation and/or references to Si0x mode either.  There are some firmware posts available for my machine on IVFS, but not system BIOS, so there is some intention for Lenovo engineering to support this machine.  So far though support for Linux has not been released.

I obtained a pre-release of kernel 5.14 from my distribution, fedora, and am running on that version today.

The Gnome desktop version 40 presents an option to click on the power menu named "suspend."  When I click that, the screen darkens after a few seconds and the led on the power button starts blinking.  With very crude technique the machine seems to consume 5 Watts per hour in this mode, whatever mode it is....

My intel machine mentioned earlier uses 0.5 watts per hour in S3 suspend to ram state, supporting 8 GB of RAM.   My AMD machine also has DDR4 RAM but 64 GB of it, or 8 times more.  Is supporting RAM during suspend to RAM mode power consumption linear, so 8 times larger ram will consume 8 times more watts per hour?  IF so, there is likely nothing excessive regarding suspend to ram power consumption on my AMD machine.

Regards,

Usedtoberich

Options

872 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

535 Signins

6521 Page Views

• Views: 6521
  • Message 34 of 78

2021-09-29, 3:16 AM

I owe an apology as well on this thread - I really did mean to pull out the highlight posts in the really long thread and link to them from this thread and I think that would have been helpful and saved some frustrations. I genuinely haven't had time - which is a lame excuse as I locked that thread in the first place. It's on my todo list and will try and get to it by the end of the week. If someone happens to have links to the key posts with details on enabling S0ix optimally please let me know and I think I can add them to my initial post at the top of this forum (or I'll figure out something smarter) and hopefully save some folk a few headaches.

As a note - I believe there's a problem on the L15 AMD with IRQ 34 firing due to an error in the ACPI tables for one of the GPIO pins that makes S0ix/modern standby not work there (and @Usedtoberich - if you're interested, the settings are in the BIOS under power if they added support....). The platforms isn't actually in our Linux program but the firmware team are looking at fixing it which is nice. Not sure if that impacts you - I don't have the platform on hand myself but it was noted by one of the AMD engineer working on S0ix support.

Note - I think there is another issue with the reset button signal into the AMD GPIO that also needs solving - but that's more generic.

Mark

Options

407 Posts

03-06-2021

Germany

227 Signins

2420 Page Views

• Message 35 of 78

2021-09-29, 10:18 AM

@ MarkRHPearson wrote:

I owe an apology as well on this thread - I really did mean to pull out the highlight posts in the really long thread and link to them from this thread and I think that would have been helpful and saved some frustrations. I genuinely haven't had time - which is a lame excuse as I locked that thread in the first place. It's on my todo list and will try and get to it by the end of the week. If someone happens to have links to the key posts with details on enabling S0ix optimally please let me know and I think I can add them to my initial post at the top of this forum (or I'll figure out something smarter) and hopefully save some folk a few headaches.

As a note - I believe there's a problem on the L15 AMD with IRQ 34 firing due to an error in the ACPI tables for one of the GPIO pins that makes S0ix/modern standby not work there (and @Usedtoberich - if you're interested, the settings are in the BIOS under power if they added support....). The platforms isn't actually in our Linux program but the firmware team are looking at fixing it which is nice. Not sure if that impacts you - I don't have the platform on hand myself but it was noted by one of the AMD engineer working on S0ix support.

Note - I think there is another issue with the reset button signal into the AMD GPIO that also needs solving - but that's more generic.

Mark

Mark, do you have more informations about the IRQ error ? If it is just a GPIO pin mapping issue it could be probably workaroudend in the kernel until it has an BIOS fix.

Options

26 Posts

08-20-2020

Estonia

27 Signins

180 Page Views

• Views: 180
  • Message 36 of 78

2021-09-29, 12:10 PM

@ MarkRHPearson wrote:

...If someone happens to have links to the key posts with details on enabling S0ix optimally please let me know and I think I can add them to my initial post at the top of this forum (or I'll figure out something smarter)...

I do not think there is one definite post that describes how to do it

1.  UEFI reset - reboot to UEFI
2. do your modifications in UEFI you need
3. disable LAN port - reboot to UEFI
4. enable LAN port - enjoy

Options

63 Posts

06-28-2012

Romania

116 Signins

516 Page Views

• Views: 516
  • Message 37 of 78

2021-09-29, 14:41 PM

FYI

If anyone has a thermal camera and wants to compare notes....

I looked at the components that stay warm in S3 on Windows.

Maybe someone can identify something that is powered up that shouldn't be.

Link to pictures.

The images are for 1100 mW drain. It would be nice if someone with a drain of 300-500 mW can take some thermals.

Options

1360 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

578 Signins

7025 Page Views

• Views: 7025
  • Message 38 of 78

2021-09-29, 15:06 PM

Hello,

@osnix and Mark Pearson, regarding my L15 AMD machine:

I checked the BIOS screen config>Power and mine seems to have consumer level options  I can toggle CPU power management on and off, toggle power on when AC attached, and disable internal battery.  (I obtained and installed it from Windows 10 desktop, so consumer level access is expected....)

However, BEFORE I start investing some time on this, AFTER the project is completed, the way I use the machine I need at least 24 hours of endurance in suspend to RAM mode, and preferably 48 hours or more.   So after project is completed, suspended power consumption needs to be 2 watts per hour maximum and preferably something less than 1.2 watts per hour.   Do the hardware engineers see this as possible on this L15 platform?  Otherwise I will seldom select "suspend" option and just "power off"

I applaud AMD for stepping outside the box and offering processors that are truly different from the other brand, instead of simply offering generic "compatible" machines.  It is normal, reasonable and desirable that new ways of implementation won't conform to existing third party consensus standards such as ACPI committees, "S3" designation.  The amd64 innovation was fantastic, the other organization adopted it too.  Keep up the innovation!!

Usedtoberich

Options

407 Posts

03-06-2021

Germany

227 Signins

2420 Page Views

• Message 39 of 78

2021-09-29, 22:29 PM

@ Usedtoberich wrote:

Hello,

@osnix and Mark Pearson, regarding my L15 AMD machine:

I checked the BIOS screen config>Power and mine seems to have consumer level options  I can toggle CPU power management on and off, toggle power on when AC attached, and disable internal battery.  (I obtained and installed it from Windows 10 desktop, so consumer level access is expected....)

However, BEFORE I start investing some time on this, AFTER the project is completed, the way I use the machine I need at least 24 hours of endurance in suspend to RAM mode, and preferably 48 hours or more.   So after project is completed, suspended power consumption needs to be 2 watts per hour maximum and preferably something less than 1.2 watts per hour.   Do the hardware engineers see this as possible on this L15 platform?  Otherwise I will seldom select "suspend" option and just "power off"

I applaud AMD for stepping outside the box and offering processors that are truly different from the other brand, instead of simply offering generic "compatible" machines.  It is normal, reasonable and desirable that new ways of implementation won't conform to existing third party consensus standards such as ACPI committees, "S3" designation.  The amd64 innovation was fantastic, the other organization adopted it too.  Keep up the innovation!!

Usedtoberich

Mark mentioned some IRQ/GPIO BIOS errors on your machine, which prevents S0ix to work. 

Regarding drain, I can't tell you what to expect, since I don't own ( nor have access to ) any L series machine.

I can tell you my P14s went from 1.86W/h S3 to 0.62 W/h S3, and 0.32 W/h S0ix ( In Windoze this was about 1.23 W/h ).

Since you don't have an S3/S0ix switch I guess you are on S0ix with no way to switch from BIOS menu.

( We can try to use a custom DSDT and enable S3 but that is really unsupported by Lenovo ).

Can you upload a dmesg somewhere to see what that IRQ error is about?

( boot, do a dmesg >dmesg-boot.txt , suspend and wait a minute or so, resume dmesg >dmesg-after-resume.txt )

Gabriel

Options

407 Posts

03-06-2021

Germany

227 Signins

2420 Page Views

• Message 40 of 78

2021-09-29, 22:35 PM

@ vicentiu wrote:

FYI

If anyone has a thermal camera and wants to compare notes....

I looked at the components that stay warm in S3 on Windows.

Maybe someone can identify something that is powered up that shouldn't be.

Link to pictures.

The images are for 1100 mW drain. It would be nice if someone with a drain of 300-500 mW can take some thermals.

Unfortunately, I don't have any thermal camera in this place, but Windows is irrelevant here, the drain there is even more ridiculous.

Windoze S0ix is around 1.23 W/h, while I get in Linux 0.32 W/h drain. S3 is unsupported by Lenovo in Windoze anyway.

Please do your testing with Linux :).

( PS: De unde din Romania esti ? .) )

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms