Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lordee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,406
Message 11 of 77

Re: Linux on Ideapad D330

A question for you, do you have the more upmarket model of the d330? I received advice from someone else and they had no issues after specifying a resolution, however it turns out they have the better model.

Those I have spoken to about the base model have been unsuccessful.

I will be trying the drm-tip kernel for latest Intel driver support once I'm home either way I suppose.

hideme
Punch Card
Views: 1,379
Message 12 of 77

Happy new year from Germany.

I have the D330IGM model with the pentium silver and 128gb storage. 

@lordee can you set your resolution to minimum, rotate the screen and set the resolution back up? Worked for me. 

I can uploud a video how i get to the desktop with correct orientation with the USB live media.

lordee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,362
Message 13 of 77

If you wouldn't mind posting a video, that would be great. I won't be home to try until the 6th unfortunately.

TheOnlyJxnas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,330
Message 14 of 77

@lordee So, I already tried to add nomodeset. It had no effect at all.

@hideme Yes, I disabled Secure Boot already in the bios. I even updated my Bios that I can enable VT-x in the bios. 

If anyone wants to know this, I have the model with the Celeron, 4gb ram and 64gb storage. I think the model is D330-10IGM (this is from the notebooksbilliger.de Website)

lordee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,318
Message 15 of 77

I have the same model as you, as long as I set nomodeset and gfxpayload of 1280x800 I am fine. Higher resolutions will cause issues.  Sorry, no further help beyond that from myself 

TheOnlyJxnas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,310
Message 16 of 77

I will try that, when I am back home. What linux disteo do you use? Antergos or Ubuntu? I am using antergos.

lordee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,302
Message 17 of 77

I have installed xubuntu, but I tried this with antergos, Ubuntu, debian weekly and a few others.

I have the same model as you. I think the problem needs to be reported to Intel, however I need to compile and install the Intel testing kernel before reporting.

However, I am hoping that there is a simple solution I am missing in order to enable rotation of the screen, that's the last hurdle that I have.

D330-user
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,291
Message 18 of 77

I posted on reddit. I have been trying to troubleshoot the issue as well without much luck.

I have tried all the tricks with closing and opening the lid or using the power button  to put it to sleep then wake it up. I followed a few tutorials that apparently work on the miix 320. None of it seems to work on this device. The best I can work out is that it is something to do with how the internal display is recognised. I think you mentioned it as well but I also think it seems to be the low res display version that has the issue.

I have mainly tried ubuntu and yesterday a bit with Antergos. Ubuntu as you know you can atleast get it to load and display portrait only by using gfxpayload to force the resolution and nomodeset. Also adding fbcon=rotate:1 you can get tty2 to display landscape but that setting doesnt change the gui.

Once you use gfxpayload and nomodeset though it really locks you out of any further configuration of the graphics/display. Antergos grub doesnt seem to actually recognise those settings though. Tried the 4.20 Kernel in ubuntu, no change.

I also ended up trying the external monitor. Using Ubuntu with the modified grub settings it doesn't send a signal to the external monitor , but if you leave grub default it works perfectly, Antergos was the same. It picks up the resolution and you can rotate the display (according to the settings), however nothing is actually displayed on the in built display. Its just the usual black screen but you can see the backlight is on, in fact you can still even control the brightness. 

Not really sure where to go from here. 

Lenovo D330-10IGM 81H3

Celeron N4000

Intel UHD 600

1280x800 display

Screenshot from 2019-01-01 23-07-06.pngScreenshot from 2019-01-01 23-11-34.png

hideme
Punch Card
Views: 1,230
Message 19 of 77

That is strange. The black screen is the point where i have to put the Laptop into Hibernate mode.

Here are the steps i do to boot and rotate the screen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7VKfqB40sI&t=6s

Works every time.

Gfxpayload is described in the grub manual to  even depend on the "phase of the moon" and nomodeset can either cause some problems or hasn't any effect at all on wayland.

The main difference between our devices is the Display. On my Model i've got an 1920x1200  screen Resolution so is is a complete different Display. Who knows what Lenovo put in there.

TheOnlyJxnas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,211
Message 20 of 77

@hideme What Antergos Version/ISO are you using? I know that we have different models, but with my one I can't even boot into the CD Boot. Also, are you using Rufus, Etcher or something different? I don't know why I can't go into CD Boot... I know that someone else already had that problem but yeah..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors