Did you mean: 
lordee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,484
Message 31 of 77

Re: Linux on Ideapad D330

I'll be running through this tonight:

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentation/build-guide-0

and then trying to report an issue on it if no luck.  I'll update here with any details.

lordee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,318
Message 32 of 77

I have submitted a bug report:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109267

Feel free to add info.  I was unable to get booting using the drm-tip kernel, I think because of trying to boot from emmc.  If anyone knows how to enable that module and is willing to tell me, I'm happy to recompile and try again.

lordee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,124
Message 33 of 77

I have now submitted kernel logs for drm-tip and submitted.  Hopefully someone replies.

D330-user
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,098
Message 34 of 77

Awesome, I wish I had a bit better knowledge I would have liked to had done a bit more.

Hopefully someone can look into it and get it sorted, though sideways ubuntu is still more user friendly than windows 10.

ppdevelop
Paper Tape
Views: 1,029
Message 35 of 77

I thought to let you all know how linux runs on this device.

Device: D330 with N5000 processor, 4Gb ram, 128Gb storage, FullHD screen, no lte.

I made the precondition to remove secure boot in the BIOS. You get in the bios by pressing Fn-F2 multiple times at bootup. I could select bootdevice by pressing Fn-F12 multiple times at bootup.

I first tried fedora 29 as I prefer the gnome interface on small laptops and 2in1's. I got the scrambled screen. No fidling with the grub parameters helped. Ubuntu all showed the same problems that where mentions above.

My desktop pc runs linux mint 19.1. So of course, mint would be a good alternative option. And lo an behold. The live image booted strait to the desktop. I did have some troubles running the install. This would give a errno 5. I checked my MD5 hash of the image and everything seemed ok. The installer also did not find any errors on the usbstick. Not giving up. Something I could not do by now, as I had already wiped the default windows install! I tried with an other usbstick. And yes, this one completed the boot, install and reboot.

On first boot all was ok, except the orientation of the screen. I solved this by pressing the windowskey->display->orientation->clockwise90. Testing the device, I also found that closing the lid did not suspend the laptop. I solved this by going to settings, opening the energy applet, and in extra options I selected that the action of closing the lid should also happen when external displays are connected. I also noticed that the screen does not rotate when using the device in tablet mode. I have not looked into this. I also noticed that, while the touchscreen works, it is way off. It probably thinks we are still in portrait while in landscape.

What works out of the box:

* battery indication + charging indication

* Suspend using button

* Audio

* Wifi network

* Keyboard dock

What needed some help:

* Display orientation

* Suspend closing lid

What still has to be fixed:

* Orientation sensor

* Touch screen orientation

For me, with linux mint 19.1, it is already a good small laptop on the go. At the moment I can't really use it as a tablet. But once the other issues are remedied in future versions of fedora/ubuntu it will rock. Well done, Lenovo!

hideme
Punch Card
Views: 1,023
Message 36 of 77

Configuring the automatic orientation is described in the 4th reply on the first page. It fixed the touchscreen problems as well 

skudo
Paper Tape
Views: 947
Message 37 of 77

@ppdevelop wrote:

I thought to let you all know how linux runs on this device.

Device: D330 with N5000 processor, 4Gb ram, 128Gb storage, FullHD screen, no lte.

I'm have almost the same spec as you (except I only have the HD not FHD screen).

When you installed Linux Mint 19.1, did you set your gfxpayload and nomodeset ? I could only make Linux Mint boot with gfxpayload=800x1280 (i assume you used 1200x1900) and nomodeset.

However, after installation, I'm not sure if it would work without nomodset.

D330-user
Fanfold Paper
Views: 940
Message 38 of 77

I think throughout the thread it's been narrowed down to the D330 with the Celeron N4000 and the 1280*800 display. The version with the Celeron N5000 with full HD display seems to work, albiet with a bit of playing around for certain things.

It doesn'y help they are all just referred to as the D330, In Australia the only D330 model available is the version with N4000 CPU low res display and 32GB MMC storage

skudo
Paper Tape
Views: 935
Message 39 of 77

@D330-user wrote:

I think throughout the thread it's been narrowed down to the D330 with the Celeron N4000 and the 1280*800 display. The version with the Celeron N5000 with full HD display seems to work, albiet with a bit of playing around for certain things.

It doesn'y help they are all just referred to as the D330, In Australia the only D330 model available is the version with N4000 CPU low res display and 32GB MMC storage

Hi,

I have the Intel N5000 (Pentium Silver), and an HD (NOT Full HD) and I'm also having problems. I guess the problem is with the display and not the CPU.

This is the only model for sale (at least when I bought one) here in the Philipppines. I guess I'll stick with Windows 10 for a while and make do with WSL.

ppdevelop
Paper Tape
Views: 919
Message 40 of 77

@skudo wrote:

@ppdevelop wrote:

I'm have almost the same spec as you (except I only have the HD not FHD screen).

When you installed Linux Mint 19.1, did you set your gfxpayload and nomodeset ?

No, not on Linux Mint 19.1. Live media booted strait. I did not edit any grub parameters. But, as has been said. It seems that the FullHD devices go easier.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors