Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xeropero
Punch Card
Views: 1,524
Message 51 of 77

Re: Linux on Ideapad D330

@lordee Thank you for sharing it, i hope it is solved soon.

xeropero
Punch Card
Views: 1,385
Message 52 of 77

I think we got good news, the D330 was added to this patch around 2 days ago:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/dri-devel/list/?series=81521

lordee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,357
Message 53 of 77

Unfortunately that's for the better d330 version and related to screen orientation, but here's hoping

Pianoman_72
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,216
Message 54 of 77

Hi,

I have followed this thread for some time now. It seems that there has been great progress, esp. with the full-HD-model.

While, of course, the main focus was to get Linux up and running and fixing the screen orientation, could someone tell me if

- sound works, including microphone

- cameras work (front and back)

I am looking for an affordable convertible that runs linux to equip a school with it, and those items (sound, microphone, cameras) are important in an educational setup.

Thanks,

Andreas

hideme
Punch Card
Views: 1,172
Message 55 of 77

Hi Andreas,

sound works out oder the box. Playback and recording.

Both webcams are working just fine, but the resolution is 640x480 on the 5M in the back and the 2M on the front. Tested with cheese only. I‘m gonna take a closer look in the next few days.

Pianoman_72
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,162
Message 56 of 77

Thanks!

vga resolution is a bit low, though. In class the 5 MP camera could be used to take photographs of notes, blackboard and so on. Cheese itself is well capable of higher resolutions (I use it with a full HD webcam), so this might be a driver issue. I'm looking forward to your reports on that.

Andreas

hideme
Punch Card
Views: 991
Message 57 of 77

Sorry for my late response. It has been a very busy week. 

I managed to get the 2M camera working with a resolution of 1280x720 but the 5M camera refuses to work properly. I searched the Internet for 3 days and tried varios drivers, kernelmodules and fixes on 4 different distributions. Nothing seems to work with this proprietary Lenovo uses in their Laptops. I have been on this for month to get everything working and enjoyed diving deeper into to Linux than ever before. But right now i am at a point where i am just tired of workarounds. 

If you are looking for a tablet running Linux i can't recommend this thing. Depending on what stuff Lenovo put in their different models, it is likely to not work at all.

My next Laptop/Convertible won't be a Lenovo. 

Best regards

Felix

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

Pianoman_72
Fanfold Paper
Views: 957
Message 58 of 77

Thanks for you detailled answer! No need to be sorry, I rather feel sorry for you as you put in so much time.

If you have time to wait you might give it another try when kernel 5.0 comes out. I have read somewhere that there is a new driver for some intel chip included which controls cameras (or, if impatient, maybe you can install a 5.0 preview). I'll check my bookmarks later, maybe I find the exact name of it.

When you say "your next tablet won't be a lenovo", the trouble is that there are almost no alternatives. Linux runs fine on many flip-convertibles (where you can flip the keyboard to the backside) - including lenovos - but not on detachables like the Ideapad D330.

I have searched quite extensively on the internet for any (!) detachable that runs linux. This is how I came to this thread. Usually it's like here - you get it running somehow, but not completely (like no sound - no microphone - no cameras - no screen rotate).

This is sad, as linux is so much better suited for those low-end tablets than windows.

I have linux running perfectly on a Lenovo L380 Yoga, but this is not really useable as a tablet, and the price-tag is completely different, too.

Regards, Andreas

Pianoman_72
Fanfold Paper
Views: 939
Message 59 of 77

Ok, I found it.

The chip making trouble (and I am quite sure that it is in the Ideapad D330, too) is the intel atom isp (isp stands for image signal processor).

There used to be a driver for that, but that was buggy. It has been improved / rewritten for Linux 5.0 (aka 4.21), see here:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.21-x86-Platform-Drivers

So this might improve things for quite a lot of hardware. I have no device to test it, though.

mwgarcia
Paper Tape
Views: 761
Message 60 of 77

Hello everyone. If any of you want to help testing please follow this bug thread: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109267

One thing any of you could perhaps do is compare the VBT data in your own device to what I've attached in that thread. This is so we can see if there are any differences among the 1280x800 SKUs and ensure the fix will apply to everyone.

I'll be actively helping the Intel developer working on this so we can have resolution ASAP.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors