Did you mean: 
drakxstar
Paper Tape
Views: 689
Message 61 of 77

Re: Linux on Ideapad D330

Hi guys,

This is my first post.

Actually I have been following this thread since the beginning.

Just want to share my recent experience, I tried zorin os 15 beta. Quite tricky to get it start.

After booting, as usually the screen will become unreadable, wait until the screen become blank, then close the lid.

Wait until the power led start slow blinking, then open the lid again, if there is no display, just press the power button once, then you will have working display.

everything works including touch screen, but as usual wrong orientation. 

This can be fixed later on by choosing the "screen orientation icon" near the wifi icon, at the taskbar.

so happy linux-ing Smiley Happy

lordee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 671
Message 62 of 77

It sounds like you have the higher spec'd screen. What resolution do you have? It has been 4 months now with no driver update - I'm sadly thinking of selling mine.

drakxstar
Paper Tape
Views: 603
Message 63 of 77

the screen resolution is 1200x1920, but I found it too small

haven't try to changed the screen resolution yet, since i am quite happy that everything work at the moment.

Why should sell? you can try prime os,an android x86 alternative or bliss os, or even just install windows 10 lite and combined with bluestacks, can be a cheap surface go alternative

lordee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 593
Message 64 of 77

You have the higher spec'd machine, that machine does not have the driver issues of the lower spec'd ones.

I have the lower spec'd machine, prime os wouldn't work for me.  I don't have any interest in running a non linux os on it so those other options are off the table for me.

drakxstar
Paper Tape
Views: 584
Message 65 of 77

lets wait, maybe the next ubuntu can do some magic with kernel 5

for me, i am planning to use this device for android tablet alternative, as you know good android tablet is very pricey, moreover the one from the korean vendor,

THerefore it wil be very interesting if this lenovo can be used as linux for daily acitivities + android tablet for gaming

BerndL
Paper Tape
Views: 450
Message 66 of 77

Hi,

I bought a Lenovo IdeaPad D330 - W10P and for the past two weeks tried to install various linux distributions, succeeding olny with Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.18.0-16-generic x86_64), replacing the first line of grub with gfxpayload=800x1280 and nomodeset. X started well but the display was tilted to the left. Mouse and touchpad, however worked as portrait. In gnome-control-center the orientation was set to landscape and I tried to change the orientation to portrait, but no avail.

Then I followed your instructions to fix the orientation problem, but must have done something wrong as upon the next re-boot, I only got a black screen. Turning the standby button on and off brought no results. Luckily, ssh works. The Xorg.0.log file lists some errors which I cannto interpret, but the X server seems to be running in the end.

I would hate to have to re-install the system. Would you know a way to get my X working with the correct landscape orientation? Can I re-install(configure) X without having to re-install the entire system? I don't care if monitor rotation works, in fact I don't want it. Would that ease things up?

lordee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 441
Message 67 of 77

Everything i have seen, the answer is no regarding rotation. You'll have to go to windows and/or wait for linux driver support unfortunately.

mwgarcia
Paper Tape
Views: 427
Message 68 of 77

There is a problem with i915's support for Gemini Lake + MIPI/DSI or either with Lenovo's VBT configuration for the 1280x800 SKU. nomodeset is not a proper fix as it is practically unsupported by i915 and will disable a lot functionality, including X orientation controls.

I'm trying to help as much as possible the i915 developers working on this bug (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109267), but I'm getting a sense that Lenovo and Windows may also be doing something non-obvious with this specific SKU's setup. My current theory is that a PMIC is involved in setting up the panel ("PPS GPIO Pins: Using PMIC" in the VBT data) but there is no PMIC MIPI command sequence in the VBT to direct the driver. Note that PMIC MIPI sequences on the VBT are something i915 also just recently added, and this is what makes me wonder if Windows may be using some other source for data on how to drive the PMIC to set up the panel.

If any of you know how to summon some relevant technical person from Lenovo that would be greatly appreciated.
hideme
Punch Card
Views: 369
Message 69 of 77

Try and enable automatic login. In my experience it gets you to the desktop.there is some kind of problem with xserver. Start without nomodeset and gfxpayload. In a terminal type
xrandr —output DSI-1 ( or wahrerer your Display is called) —rotate right
It works on the Full HD model
drakxstar
Paper Tape
Views: 346
Message 70 of 77

tried ubuntu disco dingo beta

the trick is still the same, after booting from usb just close the lid until the power button blinking slowly

then open the lid, press any button, it will bring you to the desktop

the default screen orientation is still vertical or 1200x1920(16:10)

everthing works, from touch screen, wifi, sound

but screen orientation still error no matter how many times you change the orientation (maybe due to it is still beta)

tried also manjaro deepin 18.04, unfortunatelly the magic open close lid trick can not work

as far as i tried, zorin is the most compatible, the only problem is the screen resolution becomes too small

becomes not really convenient 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors