Views: 525
Message 72 of 77

Re: Linux on Ideapad D330

Hi,

I followed your recommendation:

xrandr --output default --scale 1.2x1.2

and got:

xrandr Failed to get size of gamma for output default
xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 800x1280 (desired size 960x1536)

:-(

hideme
Punch Card
Views: 492
Message 73 of 77

i made a mistake. It has to be --scale 0.8x0.8 in order to make it bigger. Default is a standard output name am I right guessing you booted with nomodeset/gfxpayload or xforcevesa? If so you won't get it working because these boot parameters disable a lot of stuff. Best regards Felix
BerndL
Paper Tape
Views: 394
Message 74 of 77

Hello again,

I seem to make things worse on every attempt. While I used to be able to get a normal display, which was sideways (rotated left) with the mouse working in portrait orientation, I am now not able to get but a scrambled display. Above worked with gfxpayload=800x1200 and nomodeset, which now is of no more avail after playing around with xrandr on the idea pad directly (not via ssh) the last time.

Via ssh, the command xrandr and other x-comands all read "Error: Can't open display:". But perhaps that is because I am on another machine with ssh? I tried using the orignal grub script without the gfxpayload=800x1200 and nomodeset, but that gives me no display at all (first few seconds I get a backlight which then turns off).

I hate to give up on this, so I wonder if there is a way to complete re-install the X-system via ssh and apt? Maybe I have messed up the X-configuration? Others in this forum got their notebook working, but none of their advice worked for my device. I would hate to have to re-install the entire linux system as it was endlessly difficult to get ubuntu working in the end (I tried Debian, Mint, antergos, zorin, all of which failed to get me into a readable installation screen, only ubuntu worked with gfxpayload=800x1200 and nomodeset).

Any more advice you could give me - would highly appreciate it.

lordee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 374
Message 75 of 77

I understand your frustration, we have been waiting for months.

Please note that your model has no solution.  The solutions others are posting are for different models - think of them as being completely different computers...  The solutions just _do not apply_ to your model.

The only thing you can do is to wait for the driver to add support for your model (I also have this model) or give up and sell it.

D330-user
Fanfold Paper
Views: 358
Message 76 of 77

I agree, if you have the low res screen it is just not possible at this time.

It is an annoying situation for me for a number of reasons:

- You can take an 18 month old generic windows 10 iso and install it and the screen works without any further Lenovo specific drivers.

- 32GB is not enough space to run Windows 10 properly, Windows will fill enough of the remaining space with updates that it will then constantly fail and undo because there isn't enough space. They removed the option to utilise external storage for updates.

- USB C to HDMI, Linux works perfectly on an external display

- It is actually a really nice travel device and it would be perfectly suited to a number of linux distros. .

- You can't actually buy the higher spec screen model in Australia so it isn't even an option to spend more.

I have gone back to Windows which is really disappointing. Rocket dock makes it slightly more usable as a tablet but I really don't want to continue with Windows as it isn't at all what I was after. I'm finding I'm travelling with my full size linux laptop anyway.

These are AUD $296 at the moment, I'd be tempted to post one to someone if they could actually fix the display problem. But it seems people are aware of the issue but unable to fix or it isn't a priority.

hideme
Punch Card
Views: 348
Message 77 of 77

Even on Windows 10 Pro there are some issues with my display. During installation my screen is sideways the same way it is on Linux. After a lot of updates it fixes itself but i still have wierd glitches on bluestacks and some older games that ran just fine with wine on Linux. They seem to be related to the orientation in fullscreen mode. I might as well switch back to Linux now that Ubuntu 19.04 is released 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors