Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hackman
Paper Tape
Views: 30,484
Message 1 of 39

Linux on ThinkPad Helix

I'm interested to know are there any issues with installing Linux on ThinkPad Helix?

I wish to know what hardware is kept in the KBD part of the laptop. Obviously there is a battery in the KBD, but what else?

What happens when the tablet is separated from the KBD? Is the KBD connected to the tablet via USB(as interface, not as USB port)?

If there is other hardware in the KBD, what is it and will it work hot-swap on Linux?

rubdos
Paper Tape
Views: 30,230
Message 2 of 39

Re: Linux on ThinkPad Helix

I'm interested too. Is it possilbe to run a linux on the device? I'd love to use Fedora 18 on it!

(And I'd like a windows refund and a programmers dvorak keyboard)

rubdos
Paper Tape
Views: 29,983
Message 3 of 39

Okay, did some thinking. Could anyone with more Lenovo-insider-knowledge clarify this more?

From what I'm ablo to see: the 'dock' is just a USB hub/some ports, which connect the keyboard/mouse. If windows can handle something that's hotplug, Linux will certainly be able too. The only problem could be the touchpad: in the first demo with Windows 8, they couldn't use it, they were still developping a driver for Windows. If they had to write one for windows, I don't think there's one for Linux. If the touchpad doesn't work under linux, I'm going to write some patches (for the first time in my life) and use a 'normal' mouse the first days.

Greetings,

Ruben

rjzak
What's DOS?
Views: 29,937
Message 4 of 39

I too would like to run Linux on the ThinkPad Helix. At the very least, it would be easy to run Ubuntu's WUBI installer. It runs Ubuntu Linux out of a virtual disk on the Windows partition, so it doesn't destroy the Windows installation. I'm also curious if the ThinkPad Helix would ship with Windows reinstallation media.
RedPuppy
Serial Port
Views: 28,974
Message 5 of 39

Linux on the Helix?

Anyone done this yet? Looking to install Linux Mint 14. Any issues so far with any version of Linux on the Helix?

tomstockmail
What's DOS?
Views: 29,188
Message 6 of 39

I'm only interested in the Helix if I can put Linux/KDE on it. Now that they're shipping, what's the answer?
iElectric
Paper Tape
Views: 29,016
Message 7 of 39

I have just tried Ubuntu 13.04, and it boots.
tomstockmail
What's DOS?
Views: 28,957
Message 8 of 39

Thanks for the response, that's good news.
IO
Blue Screen Again
Views: 28,941
Message 9 of 39

Thanks. I will soon have a Helix here to test more. In the meantime: What doesn't work? Any bugs? It would be awesome if everything worked out of the box. Could you please try 12.04 LTS?

johnv474
802.11n
Views: 28,776
Message 10 of 39

Re: Linux on the Helix?

I saw this post in this forum: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/Linux-on-ThinkPad-Helix/td-p/1036897

It says that Ubuntu 13.04 worked without issue.  If Ubuntu works, Linux Mint should (as Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu IIRC, which is in turn based on Debian).

I find Linux Mint to be among the easiest to install because many of the most common adjustments are already done.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors