Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 24,922
Message 1 of 31

Linux on the ThinkPad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen)

Does anybody have feedback to share regarding running Linux on the ThinkPad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen)? I'm running Linux on several other ThinkPads and it's fine. Any reason to think the ThinkPad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen) will be any different?

Also, are the overheating problems on the ThinkPad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen) real or is that a very isolated problem?

Final question: would you guys recommend the 2nd gen or 3rd gen X1 Yoga for someone planning to run Linux exclusively?

Thanks

jwojcik
Paper Tape
Views: 24,830
Message 2 of 31

Re: Linux on the ThinkPad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen)

I spent several hours trying to get  Debian 9 running on a Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 3. Debian will run from Live CD, will install, but will not boot. I have changed the standard BIOS changes needed for Linux (secure boot, UEFI only,...).

The machine will either not boot at all (legacy mode) or only boot to windowss ("both" mode with legacy first). If I can not get it to run by end of the day I will be returning. I have absolutely no use for a windows only machine.

I have installed Linux dozens of times on numerous machines and not had this problem. Sure had issues with finding drivers getting rotation to work (old Yoga 2 Pro running Debian 9), but never this.

@MountainX wrote:

Does anybody have feedback to share regarding running Linux on the ThinkPad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen)? I'm running Linux on several other ThinkPads and it's fine. Any reason to think the ThinkPad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen) will be any different?

Also, are the overheating problems on the ThinkPad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen) real or is that a very isolated problem?

Final question: would you guys recommend the 2nd gen or 3rd gen X1 Yoga for someone planning to run Linux exclusively?

Thanks

MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 24,826
Message 3 of 31

@jwojcik wrote:

I spent several hours trying to get  Debian 9 running on a Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 3. Debian will run from Live CD, will install, but will not boot. I have changed the standard BIOS changes needed for Linux (secure boot, UEFI only,...).

The machine will either not boot at all (legacy mode) or only boot to windowss ("both" mode with legacy first). If I can not get it to run by end of the day I will be returning. I have absolutely no use for a windows only machine.

I have installed Linux dozens of times on numerous machines and not had this problem. Sure had issues with finding drivers getting rotation to work (old Yoga 2 Pro running Debian 9), but never this.

@MountainX wrote:

Thanks

If the Live CD / USB runs, chances are the installed version will work OK too. Likely the problem is something like a kernel command line parameter or a bootloader setting. If the same thing happens to me (assuming I order this model), I'll post here with a solution. But that won't be today or even next week. In the mean time, you should look at the logs and search around using the exact error if you can find it. Do you know where the boot process gets stopped?

jwojcik
Paper Tape
Views: 24,812
Message 4 of 31

The best I can tell right now is the problem is with the BIOs. When in Legacy mode there is no attempt to boot at all. All I got was a screen with a "choose" boot drive. with only the built in Samsung HD as a choice. There is no attempt to boot Linux or logfile I could locate.. I don't consider myself a Linux expert (there3's a lot to know) but I have been using/installing Linux for over 10 years.

(diatribe)I've had at least 4 Lenovo Laptops that I ran Linux(Debian mostly) on. The Yoga 2 Pro was challenging to get the tablet functions working. But I kept with Lenovo because it was generally Linux compatable, I huess I'll be looking elsewhere for computers now.

Back to this problem: As far as I can tell a few options I had in other BIOS (only available through Windows, function keys did not bring up BIOS) were not available to change, like turn off RAID driver. The BIOS were very limited compared with some I've seen lately.

I gave up and will RMA it tomorrow. Somebody smarter than me might figure it out and maybe I'll think about it again. On paper it was exactly what I wnted, but no Linux no deal.

Good luck

Highlighted
MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 24,807
Message 5 of 31

@jwojcik wrote:

The best I can tell right now is the problem is with the BIOs. When in Legacy mode there is no attempt to boot at all. All I got was a screen with a "choose" boot drive. with only the built in Samsung HD as a choice.

That's easy to fix. It is absolutely not an indication of any problem with Linux compatibility with this model or with the BIOS. If you want to take the time to fix it, you will need to look for some problem related to your bootloader or USB disk.

@jwojcik wrote:
no Linux no deal.

I completely agree!

jwojcik
Paper Tape
Views: 24,786
Message 6 of 31

Thank you!! You were completely  right. I was sick and aggrevated when things din't work right away. But the fix was easy and right in front of me. An old version of Grub was being used and hence didn't show up.

I forced the gru-efi to install in place of the standard grub that installed..

Low and behold, rainbows and butterflies.

Yes, I'm a moronSmiley Happy

FYI, still testing but wifi needs  the latest Drivers installed (didn't come with Debian 9, but available in a package)

The touchscreen/mousepad/trackpad/pen all work out of box.. Rotation not working out of box (will try "yoga-laptop-master"  from sourceforge later

The computer does seem a little more sluggish than I anticipated, but will play around with settings

rh78
Punch Card
Views: 24,763
Message 7 of 31

Alot of what has been uncovered for the X1C6 is relevant for this machine, so the arch wiki entry for it is worth reading.

I'll focus on what is different for the X1Y3.  Beyond install issues (although with Fedora 28 using legacy boot mode, there were no problems), some observations:

- This machine uses Windows Modern Standby (S0i3) rather than traditional standby (S3).  In my experience, S0i3 with even the correct kernel flags

acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1

uses way too much power (~2W/hr which is around 3-5% batter drain per hour).  This appears to be an issue on the Windows side as well based on some other threads.  For this reason, I use hibernate.

- After switching on the linux bios switch in the thunderbolt settings,

Config -> Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode - Set to "Enabled"

power usage for light web browsing is around 4-6W/hr (with powertop tunables all set to good except for the xHCI controller- see next point).  I'd like it to be a little lower than that, but it is ok.

- Also setting the xHCI USB Controller powertop tunable to good (to get power consumption even lower) will crash the usb 3.0 subsystem after a few minutes of use as described here, which leaves the wacom tablet completely dead until a reboot.  So I just leave the tunable as "Bad".

- I would recommend using the most current kernel/wacom driver possible (Fedora is good for this)

- The Thunderbolt 3 dock works great under linux, driving 2 monitors with full functionality (mouse, network, audio, usb, powering the machine)

d10r
Paper Tape
Views: 19,689
Message 8 of 31

My opinion after using the machine with Ubuntu 18.04 for a few months:
Hardware wise it's a great device, but the Linux support (or lack of it) was pretty disappointing - speaking as a long time Thinkpad-Linux user (mostly T models).

I'm ok with some things not working perfectly out of the box (e.g. fingerprint reader, LTE) and I knew that half-decent touchscreen support of desktop Linux requires some manual configuration work.

But I didn't expect basic things not to work out of the box with a recent distro, e.g. touchpad and standby.

The lesson for me is: I can not trust in a new Thinkpad to come with decent Linux support out of the box.

In general it seems better to not buy new models early, but wait a bit for it to "mature". E.g. the Carbon X1 6th gen just recently got a BIOS update which finally fixed standby. Hopefully the X1 Yoga 3rd gen will also get such an update...

wurstpfote
Punch Card
Views: 17,339
Message 9 of 31

Thanks for the discussion in this thread which helped me understanding and configuring my machine's power consumption.

I have just successfully enabled S3 sleep on my X1Y3 (debian stable) following these instructions:

https://gist.github.com/javanna/38d019a373085e1ba0c784597bc7ec73#file-acpi_yogax1_fedora28-L60

Sleep is initiated on closing the lid and wakeup occurs when the lid is opened (no need to press the power button anymore). Unfortunately, one has to manually adapt the grub.cfg with each kernel update, since I am not aware of any grub option (/etc/default/grub) to add an addtional image to the initrd line.

Since CPU throtteling can be mainly avoided by using the thinkfan software package controlling the fan, I guess that the main X1Y3 issues related to Linux (except for WWAN) are solved. Nevertheless, a revised BIOS version with S3 sleep for Linux (as for the X1C6) from Lenovo is very welcome.

wurstpfote
Punch Card
Views: 17,148
Message 10 of 31

S3 sleep consumes 0.178 to 0.192 W for a testing period of about 8 hours on my machine. Exact values are hard to determine, since upower requires some tens of seconds to update the battery stats after resume.

Power consumption for light webbrowsing and shell hacking at fairly low brightness (10 %), which is still relatively bright on the HDR screen is 3 - 5 W (with all powertop tunables set to 'good' but bluetooth, WWAN and SD card slot still active).

I guess that a battery lifetime of >10 h can be easily achieved for light webbrowsing (Firefox) on Linux with the aforementioned settings and few further optimizations. From my point of view, this is a substantial improvement over the X1Y2.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors