Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

860 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

532 Signins

6451 Page Views

• Views: 6451
  • Message 1 of 3

Linux recovery digital download

2021-05-31, 17:34 PM

For those of you who brought Linux preload systems (big thank you!) there is now a Linux recovery digital download page that you can use to easily obtain the correct recovery image for your system should you ever need it:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/bd/en/lenovorecovery

All you need to do is put in your serial number and the image will be made available to you along with instructions on how to use it. 

Note: This only works for systems purchased with a preload image.  Not all platforms are available yet - but the majority are and I gave it a quick sniff test and it worked well for me.

Let me know if any questions or feedback!

Mark

Options

29 Posts

03-06-2021

Greece

28 Signins

260 Page Views

• Views: 260
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Linux recovery digital download

2021-06-01, 10:49 AM

@ MarkRHPearson wrote:

For those of you who brought Linux preload systems (big thank you!) there is now a Linux recovery digital download page that you can use to easily obtain the correct recovery image for your system should you ever need it:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/bd/en/lenovorecovery

All you need to do is put in your serial number and the image will be made available to you along with instructions on how to use it. 

Note: This only works for systems purchased with a preload image.  Not all platforms are available yet - but the majority are and I gave it a quick sniff test and it worked well for me.

Let me know if any questions or feedback!

Mark

@MarkRHPearson , thanks for the news. Just wondering, is there a reason why this is not available to those of us that could not buy a Linux preloaded machine (which I believe is most of Europe) and preferred to pay the Windows tax in order to have Linux on our laptops? Is there a technical reason (bar "certifications") why it is not available, since licensing issues do not apply here? Obviously, I am talking about machine types that also come preloaded with Linux, and not Windows-only machines.

Thanks,
Stavros

Options

860 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

532 Signins

6451 Page Views

• Views: 6451
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Linux recovery digital download

2021-06-01, 12:31 PM

Hi Stavros,

The main reason is the tool is designed to offer you the correct image based on your serial number - so it only makes sense for a preload system :) It's based on a similar system we offer Windows users and it's designed to make life easier for those who have brought a preload.

We are still putting download links on the platform support pages, those sometimes take a bit longer to update (it's a manual process) and you also have to go find them - but the certified Linux images are available. If you can't find them I've been providing them when possible - let me know.

Realistically, if you're happy to install Linux yourself, then you can install stock Fedora or Ubuntu on your system and you'll be getting the same as our preload (for systems with an Nvidia card on the Ubuntu systems you'll want to enable the Nvidia proprietary driver, but that's minor). We don't add extra software in our preloads.

I'm still working on getting sales in Europe (and other geo's) so ultimately you'll have options and be able to get what you want. It's a slow process, but it's still very much active.

Mark

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms