cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rpofuk
Paper Tape
Views: 1,043
Message 71 of 120

Re: Does Fibocom L850-Gl work on Linux after the 1.37 BIOS update?

As mentioned before. I have Latitude 5501 (Freshly dismanteled it today), with ubuntu 18.04 pre-installed. It has Fibocom L850-GL modem in. I has BIOS settings to choose wether this slot will be used as PCI-E or USB. I put in my SIM card, turn on laptop and I click connect to broadband and it just works (http://tiny.cc/3pmfcz).

This is just pure lazness from Lenovo side. Its not even Fibocom failt for not issuing drivers. They could just implement same thing or just whitelist L830-BE for all devices untill tehere are drivers.

Lenovo stated that they do not officially support ubuntu and it is true. They put on their homepage that Ubuntu will be pre-installed just to trigger more marketing (Just google "Thinkpad P series Ubuntu" and you will find a lot of them (All lies).

rushforth
Punch Card
Views: 862
Message 72 of 120

Re: Linux status of Fibocom L850-Gl

Hi,

Been happily using my X1 C6 w/ WWAN via EM7455 with the tweak to get it to initialize usb slowly.  (Thanks for all the tips, especially @intelfx! )

Does anyone know if this configuration would still work with the latest BIOS 1.41 ?

(or, if anyone has since gotten the Fibocom L850 to actually work in linux.. sounds like no still.. )

Thanks!

intelfx
SCSI Port
Views: 858
Message 73 of 120

@rushforth wrote:

Does anyone know if this configuration would still work with the latest BIOS 1.41 ?

(or, if anyone has since gotten the Fibocom L850 to actually work in linux.. sounds like no still.. )

Yep, the hack still works with the latest firmware updates applied. As for L850, I'm not aware of any attempts to implement a PCIe driver for it.

Iggs
What's DOS?
Views: 784
Message 74 of 120

Hi,

Are there any updates on this? Our company is a linux shop and we love Thinkpad X1 carbon laptops but need WWAN capability to justify further purchases.

Thanks in advance for any information!

intelfx
SCSI Port
Views: 779
Message 75 of 120

@Iggs wrote:

Hi,

Are there any updates on this? Our company is a linux shop and we love Thinkpad X1 carbon laptops but need WWAN capability to justify further purchases.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Everything we know is summed up in the reply directly above yours.

Highlighted
Lenovo Employee MarkRHPearson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 773
Message 76 of 120

Hi,

Funnily enough I was looking into this item just this morning.

Brief summary: Lenovo is working with the chip vendor to get a linux driver for this - so it is in progress but unfortunately I don't have an ETA. 

I'll see if I can find out when support will be available.

Mark

dbao
Punch Card
Views: 745
Message 77 of 120

@MarkRHPearson wrote:

Hi,

Funnily enough I was looking into this item just this morning.

Brief summary: Lenovo is working with the chip vendor to get a linux driver for this - so it is in progress but unfortunately I don't have an ETA. 

I'll see if I can find out when support will be available.

Mark

Lenovo don't have to work with chip vendor. Lenovo only need to  add Fibocom L850GL to USB whitelist (yes! L850GL is on the black list of USB port).

Plus, so called "chip vendor" does not exist any more. The exitre devision was sold to Apple. Another trick to let you pay for nothing.

dexcs
Paper Tape
Views: 696
Message 78 of 120

@Mark, kudos to you for stepping out as a first Lenovo Employee in this thread. Please do yourself and Lenovo a favor and stick to your promises. As @debao already wrote you guys just need to remove the blacklist. Can you please get us an update what's going on in this direction at Lenovo? Can you open a case to discuss that internally?

NikosAlexandris
SCSI Port
Views: 660
Message 79 of 120

It is obvious that the group of people interested in a working Fibocom L850-GL (and possibly L860-GL) WWAN module under Linux, are many. @Lenovo, do you read?

@all, let's concentrate efforts in one thread.

In overview, the problem and a proposed solution:

References in the Lenovo fora:

1. The current thread Linux-status-of-Fibocom-L850-Gl
  2. X1C-gen-6-Fibocom-L850-GL-Ubuntu-18-04
  3. Linux-support-for-WWAN-LTE-L850-GL-on-T580-T480
  4. thinkpad-x1-7th-generation-ubuntu-19-04-linux-learnings (generic "Linux" interest)

Elsewhere:

1. Fibocom L850-GL installation on Ubuntu 18.04 in "askubuntu" stackexchange
  2. wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_(Gen_6)
  3. wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_(Gen_7)
  4. https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-certification/+question/669168

Working Fibocom module in laptop of other vendor(s):

Remote Sensing & Geomatics
GPG Key Fingerprint 6F9D4506F3CA28380974D31A9053534B693C4FB3
Lenovo Employee MarkRHPearson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 628
Message 80 of 120

Thanks @NikosAlexandris for gathering all that information in one spot - it's really helpful.

As I found out this morning from the driver team (and your link to the overview also mentions) on our boards the device is connected to PCIe and not to USB, so fixing the USB blacklist is not the solution.

I'm digging to find out more - there was some confusion when I asked about this item previously as to the status and I really want to make sure I give accurate information so please bear with me and I'll see if I can figure out what is happening internally and (hopefully!) what our plans are to fix it.

Mark 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors