Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BigDong
SCSI Port
Views: 751
Message 101 of 120

Re: Linux status of Fibocom L850-Gl

Hi, I am just waiting for my 2nd X1, (I am dropping my X1 Gen 1 to X1 Gen 7), and just read this :

Fibocom engineers say there is no way to "switch" to USB after the
device has been booted in PCIe mode. Was told that Intel may be
already working on the PCIe support for these devices in the kernel,
but while that is not a reality, there seems to be absolutely no way
to handle the device in the Thinkpad running Linux, unless Lenovo
decides to add the corresponding USB vid:pid in the BIOS whitelist.

Source: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/modemmanager-devel/2018-August/006582.html

I bought the version with the 4G modem, I didn't realized that it could not work on Linux.

I only work on linux (Debian) and I can't switch to windows because of that.

This laptop is aimed to be for professional, I am doing software development and Linux is the preferred platform by many. How is this possible ? Is there any update or any fix in October 2019 ?

Otherwise, I'd like to get refunded for the 4G modem, that would make sens since the laptop is selled as Linux compatible. Please let us know how to make it work or how to get refunded.

BigDong
SCSI Port
Views: 722
Message 102 of 120

I've juste read this https://bke.ro/working-wwan-on-the-x1-carbon-gen-6/

Can anyone have a try ? Apparently it can work, could be nice to have a tutorial..

intelfx
SCSI Port
Views: 714
Message 103 of 120

@BigDong wrote:

I've juste read this https://bke.ro/working-wwan-on-the-x1-carbon-gen-6/

Can anyone have a try ? Apparently it can work, could be nice to have a tutorial..

That's the current workaround, yes. Multiple tutorials have been written: Lenovo forums, ArchWiki, GitHub "pseudoblog", maybe anything else I've missed.

Highlighted
diko-parvanov
Paper Tape
Views: 697
Message 104 of 120

I have tried it as well and it works currently (some issues with S3 resume, but a reboot fixes it).

I got a Zerone EM7455 Wireless 4G LTE Module Card Free Antenna Dell EM7455 3P10Y 4G Module (as it was cheap), apparently because it was Dell it didn't want to work, so I changed some additional setings to change the usb product name and ID with

AT!USBVID=1199
AT!USBPID=9079,9078
AT!USBPRODUCT="Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A"
AT!PRIID="9904609","002.026","Lenovo-Storm"
AnT!PCOFFEN=2

so now it is detected as generic Sierra Wireless module and it works.

NikosAlexandris
SCSI Port
Views: 670
Message 105 of 120

@diko-parvanov wrote:

I have tried it as well and it works currently (some issues with S3 resume, but a reboot fixes it).

In which machine? X1 Carbon 7th generation?

Remote Sensing & Geomatics
GPG Key Fingerprint 6F9D4506F3CA28380974D31A9053534B693C4FB3
BigDong
SCSI Port
Views: 638
Message 106 of 120

I have been through many post and read a lot and never found user solving the issue as the one in the post.

I've heard a lot about every possible action but never found a tutorial that all users can use.

Could you please tell me if the X1G7 "Fibocom L850-GL 4G LTE CAT9" is working with these workaround?

I'd like to know if:

- the `Fibocom L850-GL 4G LTE CAT9` is a `EM7565/EM7455/MC7455` device
- I can make it work without the 10$ M.2 USB Adapter to flash and configure the modem

According to https://bke.ro/working-wwan-on-the-x1-carbon-gen-6/ , there is way to plug and play the device with USB, this could be a way to format without the adapter to flash, am I correct ?

intelfx
SCSI Port
Views: 627
Message 107 of 120

@BigDong wrote:

I have been through many post and read a lot and never found user solving the issue as the one in the post.

I've heard a lot about every possible action but never found a tutorial that all users can use.

Could you please tell me if the X1G7 "Fibocom L850-GL 4G LTE CAT9" is working with these workaround?

I'd like to know if:

- the `Fibocom L850-GL 4G LTE CAT9` is a `EM7565/EM7455/MC7455` device
- I can make it work without the 10$ M.2 USB Adapter to flash and configure the modem

According to https://bke.ro/working-wwan-on-the-x1-carbon-gen-6/ , there is way to plug and play the device with USB, this could be a way to format without the adapter to flash, am I correct ?

Fibocom L850-GL, Sierra Wireless EM7455 and Sierra Wireless EM7565 are completely unrelated devices.

As for the rest of your post, try to read at least some history in either of the three threads you've posted to. They contain all information you need.

dbao
Punch Card
Views: 625
Message 108 of 120

@BigDong wrote:

The method only works for x1c6, nothing else. It is widely discussed at here and also written on Wiki page: x1c6 wiki.

You need read more carefully.

The reason why x1c6 will work is, x1c6 is the very early production of 6th gen X1. It has design bug to allow BIOS bypass pending wwan wake up/boot up.  x1y3 was released 3 months later and this bug does not exist anymore.

intelfx
SCSI Port
Views: 616
Message 109 of 120

@dbao wrote:

The method only works for x1c6, nothing else.

Hm, is it actually known to not work on X1C7 and the likes?

BigDong
SCSI Port
Views: 613
Message 110 of 120

> The method only works for x1c6, nothing else. It is widely discussed at here and also written on Wiki page: x1c6 wiki.

> You need read more carefully.

It is written: "However, a method has been found to configure any Sierra Wireless EM73xx/EM74xx modem to "evade" the whitelist checks, so these modems can be used normally.", at the time it was written, the X1 Gen 7 was not released, if you look here then you will notice that "Bypass Lenovo Whitelist for T470/Carbon X1 G6 and other newer Lenovo laptops"

> The reason why x1c6 will work is, x1c6 is the very early production of 6th gen X1. It has design bug to allow BIOS bypass pending wwan ? wake up/boot up.  x1y3 was released 3 months later and this bug does not exist anymore.

What is X1Y3 ? is it X1 Gen 7? I have bought a X1 Gen 7, and I just bought a Sierra EM7455, what is not clear now is that do I need to buy the $10 M.2 USB Adapter to flash and configure the modem or can I just use the trick discribed on the X1 Gen 6 here

I am reading carefully but there are tons of post of people like me complaing about the Fibocom device, and just a few information about the X1 Gen 7, your reply is adding even more confusion for newcomer people like me, if it's false.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors