Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geek2150
Not applicable
Views: 563
Message 1 of 4

M715q Linux Distro?

I would like to install a Linux distro on this M715q.  Is there a distro that will work with this hardware?  Which one?  Thank you.

LazyCodyMonkey
Not applicable
Views: 92
Message 2 of 4

Re: M715q Linux Distro?

I know this is an old post, but I had the same query.

My PC is a M715q MT-M 10VG-000SUS (Purchased May 2019, Ryzen 5 2400GE CPU) which I want to run Linux on.

First I tried Debian v10 (kernel 4.19.0-5). This installed really nicely with the graphical installer. There are proprietary drivers for the Atheros WiFi card. If I try to load them during installation, then on first boot it hangs. So I disabled the WiFi card in the Set Up and will come back to that later.  However, WiFi card issues aside, on booting the system gets some way through the loading process and hangs with the black screen and blinking cursor. I think it's a graphics issue because I can use CTRL+ALT+1 to get to the consol and work from there. This is perhaps not too surprising, the Vega graphics were only added to the 4.19 kernel, and my other Lenovo Ryzen laptop (A485) only runs properly on the v5 kernel.

At the time of writing Debian Stable only supports kernel 4.19. To get to kernel v5 I would have to compile my own (probably) and this is going well beyond the scope of what the original poster (and myself) are after.

Next, Ubuntu 19.04 Desktop...

LazyCodyMonkey
Not applicable
Views: 84
Message 3 of 4

I downloaded Ubuntu 19.04 Desktop version and made an ISO using Tuxboot. I re-enabled the onboard WiFi in the Set Up because I wanted to see it if would work. The system booted and the graphical installer ran very nicely. During installation I ticked the "Use 3rd Party Software" because I suspect this is required for the WiFi.

Installation was quick. The system booted into Ubuntu without any issues at all. A quick check verifies that all peripherals work as expected. Success.

Note: The M715Q was shipped with Win10 on a 256GB SSD. I shrunk the Win10 partition by 100GB and installed Linux to that space. The Ubuntu installer automatically rewrote the boot loader so that on boot I can choose between Win10 or Ubuntu. All-up I'm very pleased with it. Thank you Lenovo. Thank you Linux.

LazyCodyMonkey
Not applicable
Views: 37
Message 4 of 4

I wanted to post a follow-up here, after a week of operation it is clear that there is some instability.

The system will hard crash (Kernel panic?) to black screen, no terminals, no network response, no response to any input and the only way to get it going is to yank the power.

I just saw that v5.2 of the Linux Kernel has just been released, and perhaps this will bring better support for this chipset.

In the interim, going off some suggestions I read elsewhere, I have disabled the CPU "C6" state (it is an option in the BIOS set up) as this could be causing issues. I'll monitor the system for stability and post back in a week with my results.

If anyone else has any suggestions please do let us know!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors