Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

17 Posts

12-31-2008

USA

18 Signins

339 Page Views

• Views: 339
  • Message 11 of 15

Re: No more ThinkPads with GNU/Linux

2009-03-02, 15:49 PM

Question:

Have you tried to install SUSE Linux on the SL400?

I'm asking because SUSE Linux does run (and it runs well) on some of the Ideapad models.  I know about it on the S10 since Lenovo even preloads it (under the S10E label).

I don't have an SL400 to test with, so I truly do not know whether it will work or not.  However, on the S10E (which is a far more 'primitive' model -- it's a Netbook), the volume works well, I can see videos, etc.  The only thing that you may have to get 'out of the distro' is the Broadcom driver for the wireless.

Good luck.

Options

20 Posts

02-27-2009

Guadalajara, Jalisco, México

14 Signins

147 Page Views

• Views: 147
  • Message 12 of 15

2009-03-02, 18:38 PM

I did install SuSE 11.1 thinking that maybe Novell had worked with Lenovo on the many problems, but NO, Mandriva 2009.0 actually had better support. The SL400 doesn't use the Broadcom, it uses the Atheros WiFi which is directly supported by Mandriva and can be be supported easily by other distros by adding the Madwifi package.

Several people here at LinuxCabal have had problems with the Broadcom travesty, so we have learned how to use the B43Cutter to get the firmware out of the drivers and how to determine wether to use legacy drivers of the newer ones...

Options

17 Posts

12-31-2008

USA

18 Signins

339 Page Views

• Views: 339
  • Message 13 of 15

2009-03-04, 15:35 PM

Well:  I'm looking at the Novell YES Certification page right now.  This is where Novell posts certifications performed BY the vendors (e.g. Lenovo, HP, etc) on their hardware.

The certification for the SL400 can be found at: http://developer.novell.com/yes/104169.htm

Please check if the product description (ThinkPad SL400 2743-24U) matches your machine.  The reason I say that is that it seems this particular model is using the Intel chipset for wireless.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Options

20 Posts

02-27-2009

14 Signins

147 Page Views

• Message 14 of 15

2009-03-04, 16:40 PM

I saw that as well, Prior to purchasing, but the model I ended up with is the 2743-4GS which is either VERY different than the 2743-24U tested, which is NOT the case, or the tests ar not very demanding or accurate.

The tests do NOT look at BIOS compatability or acpi function compatibility. They do NOT test the Finger Print reader or the camera. and their other tests are apparently not exhaustive.

Very misleading, and when I went to the Lenovo offices here in GDL to point this out, they stated that I should have gotten the model tested... DUH... and If I havd a 2743-24U, they would have told me that it was a phisically different one that that which they tested.

Options

20 Posts

02-27-2009

14 Signins

147 Page Views

• Message 15 of 15

2009-03-04, 17:07 PM

I forgot to mention in my previos post responding to your message that Lenovo ALSO has compatibility tests posted for this machine, or one similar... at http://www.linux-tested.com/results/lenovo_sl400_2743-24U.html which actually say that it is more compatible that the results of Novell's tests posted at http://developer.novell.com/yes/104169.htm

Neither one of the tests mentioned that the SL series, using an IdeaPad BIOS and other internals, does not use the ThinPad specific kernel modules responsible for the great support that the ThinkPad series R and T enjoy.

Neither of the tests look at the camera or the fingerprint reader or the sound system.

Both of the tests would lead you to purchase this machine even if money were not the primary consideration, which was my case.  I have no problem paying for quality, as a matter of fact I prefer to pay more if it gets me better quality. I just trusted Lenovo and took them at their word.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms