Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skaldesh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 506
Message 1 of 11

P1 USB-C only allows charging

Hello, I own a Thinkpad P1 and am currently running Arch Linux 5.1.8-arch1-1-ARCH. 

I want to access my USB-drive over one of the two USB-C/Thunderbolt ports, however, the device does not show up with `lsblk`. Connecting my phone also does not allow to use it as a USB-drive, but the phone is charged at least. 

Anyone else having these issues?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 402
Message 2 of 11

Re: P1 USB-C only allows charging

Hi skaldesh!

Welcome to the community forums.

What kind/model of USB-C flash drive are you trying to connect on your laptop via USB-C? What is the phone model you did connect on the laptop?

We'd like to help you sort this out.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

skaldesh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 390
Message 3 of 11

Hello!

My usb flash drive is a "Transcend TS32GJF780 Extreme-Speed JetFlash 32GB USB-Stick USB 3.1". It is not a USB-C  Flash drive, but a USB 3.1 A. I am using a simple adapter from A to C to connect it.

The phone is a Google Pixel 3 and it has a native C port

Lenovo Employee DaveOber
Lenovo Employee
Views: 372
Message 4 of 11

Testing I just did also showed my phone also did not connect (Samsung S8+) but did charge. I tried 4 different USB memory sticks and 2 worked (Sandisk and mosDart) and two did not work (Lexar  and no label SMI type) so it does seem to somewhat work.

skaldesh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 335
Message 5 of 11

How do we proceed on this? If your device is also affected, I think it must be filed as some kind of bug report, right?

skaldesh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 312
Message 6 of 11

Besides, I tested my phone + stick with a colleague's Razer Laptop. Both connected immediately and without problems on its USB-C port

Lenovo Employee DaveOber
Lenovo Employee
Views: 303
Message 7 of 11

I retested Using Redhat 8.0 and and updated to the latest BIOS and all USB devices I tried are working correctly.  Also on my phone it see the computer, the computer does not see the phone since the android options on my phone were preventing it.  If you see USB device connected select for options on your phone it is connected, my phone by default was disabled so the linux OS could not see my phone if I changed the settings it connected correctly as a divice for storeage or transfer. 

skaldesh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 298
Message 8 of 11

My BIOS is up to date (version 1.21) and I am able to access my phone already when I connect it via the USB-A Port. Just the USB-C does not work

skaldesh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 259
Message 9 of 11

May I ask, what are your BIOS settings regarding the Thunderbolt stuff etc.? Maybe I have something wrong there

Lenovo Employee DaveOber
Lenovo Employee
Views: 202
Message 10 of 11

My settings for the thunderbold 3 are 

Enabled

Enabled

No-security

Disabled

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals