Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

9073 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77876 Signins

2233065 Page Views

• Views: 2233065
  • Message 1 of 3

S3 Sleep Support in New X1 Yoga Gen 6 BIOS

2021-06-02, 0:25 AM

Apologies, I originally posted this in a "Yoga 6" thread without realizing it wasn't an X1 Yoga Gen 6 being discussed.

This is a copy of a reply I just posted in my X1 Yoga Gen 6 article in the X forum.  I believe this also applies to the X1 Carbon Gen 9 since they share a BIOS.

Z

@ zoltanthegypsy wrote:

@ Melchizedek wrote:

Just so you know that BIOS 1.39 was released yesterday (2021-05-26) and fixed all throttling issues for me.

Thanks.  I meant to post that here, just slipped my mind.  (I had an advance look at that BIOS and was hopeful it would sort things.)

Z.

Spotted something in that New BIOS that may be of interest to Linux users - and perhaps Windows users who for one reason or another can't use Modern Standby.  It was my understanding that with S0ix sleep support showing up in the Linux kernel that S3 was deprecated in newer ThinkPads.  Apparently that decision has been reconsidered:

From the new BIOS README:

CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE
  Version 1.39

[Important updates]
  Nothing.

[New functions or enhancements]
- Update ThinkShield secure wipe application.
- Enhanced WMI interface to support new settings to change with Supervisor Password.
- Support New Sleep State for Linux that are not compatible with Suspend-to-Idle.
  (Note) Above update will show "Self-Healing BIOS  backup progressing ... xx %"
         massage on screen during BIOS update process.
  (Note) If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 1.39 or higher, it is no
         longer able to roll back to the version before 1.39
  (Note) If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 1.39 or higher, Memory
         Training will take approximately 2 minutes after which the system will
         reboot. Please wait even though system is kept blank during the Memory
         Training.
[Problem fixes]
- Fixed an issue where system performance may down unexpectedly while heavy load
  application is runnning.

Sure enough:

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

529 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

408 Signins

4426 Page Views

• Views: 4426
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:S3 Sleep Support in New X1 Yoga Gen 6 BIOS

2021-06-17, 17:01 PM

My understanding is they enabled that option for Linux users that requested it "because they were concerned about S0ix support". My recommendation on this platform (and any 2021 Intel platforms) is to use modern standby. It's what we test and certify and I'm not thrilled at supporting a whole bunch of S3 related issues when we haven't tested it. I wasn't expecting this BIOS change

There may be genuine use cases where it's useful (let me know what those are...I'd be interested) but guidance from Intel Linux power team is S0ix on Tigerlake is better than S3 and that fits with our experience too. Unless you really have a burning need to use S3 please use S0ix. The BIOS update note is frankly misleading - Linux is compatible with S0ix on Intel.....sigh

Mark

Options

9073 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77876 Signins

2233065 Page Views

• Views: 2233065
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:S3 Sleep Support in New X1 Yoga Gen 6 BIOS

2021-06-17, 19:21 PM

Read and understood.  I don't disagree, even though I'm not (so far...) particularly fond of Modern Standby...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)