Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arminli
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,092
Message 1 of 5

Set / unset battery threshold in linux

Hey guys,

my IdeaPad U41 shipped with Windows 8.1. My work, however, requires me to use linux as my operating system. I got to choose which distro I wanted to use though, so I went with openSUSE. The problem is, that I can't figure out how to set or unset the battery charging threshold. It is currently set to stop charging at around 60% to preserve battery life. Since I'm going on a trip tomorrow, I need this limit out of the way as fast as possible. Does anyone know of an easy way to achieve this in openSUSE (tumbleweed)? I know that some Lenovo machines ship with linux by default, so I figured there ought to be a way of doing this...

EDIT:
So, I spent some more time, googling the issue, and foud this tpacpi-bat-tool. It is targeted at ThinkPads and I wondered if it would work on an IdeaPad as well. I hesitated trying it out yet since I don't want to mess anything up.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(I couldn't find a BIOS option or anything.)

knihT
SCSI Port
Views: 3,058
Message 2 of 5

Re: Set / unset battery threshold in linux

get some sleep and do not jeopardise the machine while anticipating important rendezvous. fiddle with it later/ future/ after.  happy trails. 

find joy.
arminli
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,050
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the humanly advice! I'm rested now and have some spare time waiting for my train to depart. But hours of wild Google goose-chase didn't really get me anywhere. I guess I'll just have to create a small partition and put windows on there temporarily to disable the threshold.

I really think Kenobi should provide a Linux tool for that, though.

knihT
SCSI Port
Views: 3,037
Message 4 of 5

tumbleweed changes all the time.  great name isn't it?!  "tlp" to trial when machine is available for errors trialing. tlp has a great feature for one time override charge level on demand [command] for times like your outing.  then again... how is one event different different from other use? too much management.   less management is what most users enjoy.   Most business use choose "Stable."  daily updates in testing means daily backup; when do machine have time for work?  get a stable system for the important work. 

find joy.
mariakatosvich
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,712
Message 5 of 5

Some Lenovo laptops have specific features which tp_smapi gives you access to. I don't know about other brands, but they probably have similar tools (I have a Dell laptop and I see that I have a dell_laptop and dell_wmi module, for example; I never explored it to see what it does)

Thanks,
Maria.K.

driver restore

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors