Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

26 Posts

01-23-2021

Argentina

27 Signins

220 Page Views

• Views: 220
  • Message 201 of 361

Re:T14 AMD battery drain in standby (Linux)

2021-04-13, 18:23 PM

As far as I know this issue also affects Windows users (in windows sleep mode). It had to be with the BIOS firmware.

Options

6 Posts

11-29-2018

Germany

10 Signins

92 Page Views

• Views: 92
  • Message 202 of 361

2021-04-14, 20:55 PM

@ linuxmad wrote:

My P14s AMD works flawlessly with Linux. Every single piece of hardware works out of the box (fingerprint reader. camera, microphone, touchpad, card reader).

While I generally agree and cherish that, some things don't work as expected on my T14s:

• How to use fingerprint in BIOS (for pre-boot auth) AND to unlock the screen saver? I have to configure pre-boot in W10(!) and fprintd on linux. These seems to be mutually exclusive atm.
  • Booting the docked device with an external screen doesn't connect; after boot I have to un- and replug the (original Lenovo) dock to get external devices (keyboard, DP display) to work.
  • Also, using WWAN still is a nightmare from a user perspective.
  • And fwupd does not support this AMD series yet:

Devices with no available firmware updates:  

• Integrated Camera
     • UEFI Device Firmware (5x)
     • USB3.1 Hub (2x)
     • USB3.0 Hub

• USB2.0 Hub (2x)
    Devices with the latest available firmware version:
     • System Firmware
     • Prometheus
     • Prometheus IOTA Config
     • UEFI dbx

Mind that "System Firmware" currently is only available when activating fwupd beta. So, the proposed way atm still is to use W10 or an bootable image to update UEFI, while Microsoft is integrating firmware and driver updates in Windows Update!

Sorry, that's quite OT here; just couldn't resist as the standard devices work in standard use cases, but we're still far from "all works on W10 AND on linux".

Options

76 Posts

02-14-2021

Ukraine

82 Signins

400 Page Views

• Views: 400
  • Message 203 of 361

2021-04-15, 3:37 AM

> Booting the docked device with an external screen doesn't connect; after boot I have to un- and replug the (original Lenovo) dock to get external devices (keyboard, DP display) to work.

where as my display won’t be activated on boot, re-plug helps. but i do use usb-c connector (which i believe should be fixed some time later)

but, yeah, i would bot say that other hardware are 100% supported that’s for sure. 

ps. thinkpad hangs sometime much more during bios splash screen when connected to usb-c docking station. 

Options

517 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

399 Signins

4296 Page Views

• Views: 4296
  • Message 204 of 361

2021-04-15, 18:12 PM

Hi @nursoda 

I would recommend this as a separate topic to the battery topic - but thanks for the notes and I'll reply rather than forcing a repost (sorry battery thread followers....)

- For the fingerprint from BIOS - I thought that worked but have to admit that I've never tried it, that might be a feature that needs working on. As a note the firmware is the same for Win and Linux so I think this may support missing on the Linux side (just guessing). There's still lots of working going on to make fingerprint reader support better

- For the dock - agreed there are issues there and I've been talking to AMD about those. Which dock are you using?

- WWAN....one of my favourite topics and I agree a weakness in Linux but we're making really good progress there (albeit a bit slowly). I've had some good meetings with modem vendors and if you follow the kernel you'll have a seen of activity around WWAN support that is being driven because of Lenovo platforms. WWAN is definitely one of those areas that has been a lot harder than expected from both a technical and regulation perspective (I've given up giving ETA's....they seem to regularly get blown out of the water)

- firmware updates - that's a pretty good list actually :) Camera is known and they're evaluating it (I don't know the status). I think the hub devices are all related to your dock and the TBT3 G2 dock firmware is on LVFS under testing status but should be moving stable any day now....those items might go away with that release (depends on the GUID).  I'm trying to track down what the UEFI device firmware actually is - I'm not sure what that is. We have BIOS, EC, ME, thunderbolt, SSD, fingerprint, touchpad (and WWAN coming) - that's progress that I'm pretty happy with.

I don't disagree that there is still work to do - that's part of my job to make those happen - but the list gets smaller every year which I'm really happy about.

Mark

Options

6 Posts

11-29-2018

Germany

10 Signins

92 Page Views

• Message 205 of 361

2021-04-17, 21:07 PM

Hi Mark, thanks a lot for your status update on hardware support progress in general. I sent answers to your questions as PM. Sorry for the OT to all.

Options

78 Posts

12-26-2020

Austria

43 Signins

605 Page Views

• Views: 605
  • Message 206 of 361

2021-04-18, 4:18 AM

@ MarkRHPearson wrote:

Hi @nursoda 

I would recommend this as a separate topic to the battery topic - but thanks for the notes and I' reply rather than forcing a repost (sorry battery thread followers....)

- For the dock - agreed there are issues there and I' been talking to AMD about those. Which dock are you using?

Shall we switch to the "dock-specific" topic? https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-Linux-Discussions/Connected-USB-C-dock-prevents-booting-with-efi-disable-early-pci-dma/m-p/5075964

- WWAN....one of my favourite topics and I agree a weakness in Linux but we' making really good progress there (albeit a bit slowly). I' had some good meetings with modem vendors and if you follow the kernel you' have a seen of activity around WWAN support that is being driven because of Lenovo platforms. WWAN is definitely one of those areas that has been a lot harder than expected from both a technical and regulation perspective (I' given up giving ETA'....they seem to regularly get blown out of the water)

Can you confirm if there is a black/white/allow/deny-list for WWAN modules? I have tried installing PCIe module from Dell Precision and P14s does not detect it at all.

I don' disagree that there is still work to do - that' part of my job to make those happen - but the list gets smaller every year which I' really happy about.

Getting battery drain sorted would be a major win. We have essentially black-listed subsequent Lenovo purchases for the rest of FY due to this fiasco. Already bought laptops are being used as always-on workstations and our conversation with Lenovo support has ended with them asserting that reported battery errors are "part of normal laptop operation". Back to Dell we go...

Options

6 Posts

11-29-2018

Germany

10 Signins

92 Page Views

• Message 207 of 361

2021-04-18, 10:49 AM

DOCK: I assume that as described above my case is a different topic and we shouldn't mingle those. Also, mine is a minor issue, so I'm staying put.

WWAN: There definitely is a whitelist for WWAN modules. Not even the original Lenovo Fibocom L830-EB module of my T480s would work in my new T14s. As far as I understand it that's a regulatory requirement* making sure emission power levels are within the allowed ranges. *Rather a risk based approach of vendors as they may be liable for not having taken appropriate/applicable measures to prevent such exceeding power levels. Very political field, this.

Options

76 Posts

02-14-2021

Ukraine

82 Signins

400 Page Views

• Views: 400
  • Message 208 of 361

2021-04-19, 19:01 PM

so there’s a gen2 already? 

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/23/22297126/lenovo-thinkpad-x13-yoga-laptops-specs-price

Options

10 Posts

02-23-2021

Ukraine

20 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 209 of 361

2021-04-20, 14:56 PM
So I guess, that's where all the attention is. Not on fixing touchpad issues, suspend issues, battery drain issues of the previous gen... Too bad I won't be upgrading. After buying a beefed up machine (literally the top hardware specs among Lenovo's AMD offerings) shortly after it became available in the USA, I ended up with a laptop, that is barely used outside of my home because it's so unreliable (battery drain is one thing, but before that the laptop would wake immediately after suspending, still now touchpad would spuriously stop working). Very poor quality and even worse support.
Options

517 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

399 Signins

4296 Page Views

• Views: 4296
  • Message 210 of 361

2021-04-20, 21:40 PM

Hi @dwik1 

For your suspend issue - did you change the sleep configuration in the BIOS to be 'Linux'. The AMD platforms don't currently support S0ix/Windows/Modern Standby (they've just been adding support to the kernel for it very recently)

The battery issue - I hear you, it's been a long road to get that fixed and understand on being frustrated. It is being worked on - a BIOS update is due out soon to address it.

I'm not aware of a touchpad issue (though I recently found on the X13 AMD there is a trackpoint problem which I'm looking into. This battery related thread keeps going sideways - but if you can point me at details I'll take a look. I suspect it might be related to your suspend issues - but could be wrong.

Mark 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms