Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

83 Posts

12-26-2020

Austria

47 Signins

655 Page Views

• Views: 655
  • Message 361 of 744

Re:T14 AMD battery drain in standby (Linux)

2021-06-09, 2:14 AM

@ omdv wrote:

I missed the 30days return period. Did anyone manage to return it past 30 days?

Yes, but it took a fair bit of wrangling and precise language in communications. Highly dependent on your circumstances (e.g. can you prove costs incurred due to the goods not performing as advertised, etc). Based on how many affected laptops you have, a single fixed-fee appointment with an attorney might be a good investment.

Options

16 Posts

02-23-2021

Ukraine

27 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 362 of 744

2021-06-14, 5:52 AM

Hi @MarkRHPearson 

Is there any update/progress regarding the S3 power drain issue?

@MarkRHPearson, bump. It has been 2 weeks since any updates were posted on the issue.

Meanwhile I want to share mine. A context: my laptop was bricked by the latest faulty firmware.

I still had 1+ month of an international warranty and so Ukrainian authorized service took my laptop for repairs. They didn't have the motherboard in Ukraine (I guess top spec is not that popular, Ryzen 7 and 32 GiB RAM). And  as of now it's been more than 3 weeks in repairs, they are still waiting for the correct motherboard to arrive.

Options

584 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

440 Signins

4811 Page Views

• Views: 4811
  • Message 363 of 744

2021-06-14, 12:58 PM

Hi @dwik1 

No update on the suspend battery performance, I'll go and nag again.

Really sorry to hear about the bricked system - that sucks. Hopefully they get you the replacement quickly. I have had a few other reports of the same and we're looking at those with urgency but so far we've been unable to reproduce. We test the FW updates before releasing them, and the UEFI capsule itself is apparently the same as is used for Windows so it's puzzling.

We're looking at the shim as there have been some issues reported upstream with that - the shim is apparently what launches the UEFI capsule (I hadn't realised that myself until last week).

I don't have conclusion at the moment if the shim really is the root cause - but if it is then it's not really Lenovo (or LVFS's) fault. Would you mind sharing exactly what you're running right now? One of the issues I'm having is trying to reproduce the issue., and I want to make sure I get to the version that has the problem (and I need a signed shim which limits me building it myself I think). 

I'm discussing this with the LVFS maintainer too to see if we need to do anything more extreme in the meantime - I really appreciate that bricked systems are not acceptable.

Mark

Options

2 Posts

05-23-2021

Slovenia

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 364 of 744

2021-06-14, 15:42 PM

Just my 2 cents.

I received my previously bricked X13 back a few days ago. They replaced the motherboard and managed to load 1.32 version on. For some reason they had to replace microphone/camera module (probably not related but I never had a problem with mic/cam functionality).

I can confirm that X13 still has issues. 15% in 7h standby (sleep mode set to 'Linux').

Br,V.

Options

16 Posts

02-23-2021

Ukraine

27 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 365 of 744

2021-06-18, 13:16 PM

Hi @dwik1 

No update on the suspend battery performance, I'll go and nag again.

@MarkRHPearson, I hope it won't come as a surprise: I'm going to nag you until this is resolved.

Have you had a chance to ask?

Machines in their current state are absolutely not reliable, I, for instance, can't travel with mine, which I discovered, sadly, after trying to travel. And for their premium price this is plainly ridiculous (mine costed me 1700+ USD after an impressive government employee discount). So this needs to be fixed, either via firmware upgrade or a recall/refund campaign.

Options

37 Posts

09-08-2020

Germany

39 Signins

250 Page Views

• Views: 250
  • Message 366 of 744

2021-06-19, 10:01 AM

I have to say that I'm very disappointed by the way how Lenovo decided to treat this issue.

Let me stress that I'm not criticizing Mark who is obviously willing to help but cannot
do much apart from nudging the FW team from time to time. I fully understand that
Mark has no access to the UEFI source codes or the internal platform documentation
so it would be unfair to make him responsible for the problems we are facing.

The responsibility lies entirely with the Lenovo engineering team who apparently decided that
the S3 battery drain is such a low priority issue, that one can safely ignore it for the time
being. Otherwise I cannot explain how such a substantial bug can remain unfixed for almost
a year.

Lenovo may think that it is more profitable for them to concentrate on presenting new

ThinkPad models every year, rather than ensuring that the existing ones operate flawlessly,
but they should also realize that this will have consequences. One of them is the damage
done to the ThinkPad brand, another one is the frustration among the customers who will
think three times before buying another ThinkPad in the future.

As far as my consumer behavior is concerned, I decided that I will not recommend ThinkPads to

my friends and colleagues anymore. And if I'm to buy a ThinkPad in the future, this will be a
used/refurbished model from an independent seller, not a new laptop from Lenovo directly.

Options

83 Posts

12-26-2020

Austria

47 Signins

655 Page Views

• Views: 655
  • Message 367 of 744

2021-06-19, 10:09 AM

@ srgLoop wrote:

The responsibility lies entirely with the Lenovo engineering team who apparently decided that
the S3 battery drain is such a low priority issue, that one can safely ignore it for the time
being.

I have no knowledge of Lenovo specifically, but "engineering team" is a group of salaried employees who do what is told by another, smaller group of salaried employees... I believe your criticism here is badly misplaced. You should be looking much higher than an average SE.

As far as my consumer behavior is concerned, I decided that I will not recommend ThinkPads to

my friends and colleagues anymore. And if I' to buy a ThinkPad in the future, this will be a
used/refurbished model from an independent seller, not a new laptop from Lenovo directly.

At the risk of sounding controversial, I recommend to buy from Lenovo directly and purchase their top-level warranty precisely because it is possible to return a product if it turns out to be a lemon.

Options

8 Posts

04-07-2019

Estonia

11 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 368 of 744

2021-06-19, 10:18 AM

Darn it. I was also a bit too starry eyed coming from Apple (who turned to poop with their cargo culting, thinness obsession, war on upgrades and repairs, etc), was praising Lenovo to my friends and family (at least 3 new purchases due to it). And now this mess with top notch, maxed out "business class" laptop. 

Why Lenovo? Have some principles. Easiest $$$ may turn out to not be the easiest in the long term. For sure not sustainable.

What are you going to do about it?

Options

102 Posts

02-14-2021

Ukraine

129 Signins

625 Page Views

• Views: 625
  • Message 369 of 744

2021-06-19, 16:49 PM

i'm having now two lemons, LOL.

* dock station

* t14

(sorry for the unrelated post, just wanted to add some laugh to all of it)

Options

58 Posts

04-17-2021

Greece

44 Signins

240 Page Views

• Views: 240
  • Message 370 of 744

2021-06-19, 17:10 PM

I don;t think that this laptop is designed and build by Lenovo. It must be a third party generic laptop manufacturer somewhere in China. I am convinced that the team behind T14, can;t even understand the issue. As far as I understand, even Mark cant;t verify the issue. I believe that this laptop ended up it the "T series" by "mistake".

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms