Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

11-21-2020

United States of America

6 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 31 of 247

Re:T14 AMD battery drain in standby (Linux)

2020-11-23, 5:52 AM
Hi Mark, is there any kind of public updates on the T14 AMD certification process? Also are the firmware updates worked on in a public repo?
Options

29 Posts

09-08-2020

Germany

29 Signins

180 Page Views

• Views: 180
  • Message 32 of 247

2020-11-23, 11:01 AM

I think that the majority of Linux users already employ S3 in the BIOS. In addition

to that I also have Smart Card Slot and Fingerprint Reader disabled under Security -> I/O Port Access.

USB Always On is disabled anyhow.

Nevertheless, the battery drain in standby is quite substantial (sth. around 2 W per hour), effectively preventing 

me from using the standby at all, unless I know that it's only for a very short time (like getting back home from work).

The most recent BIOS version 1.27 doesn't really change anything in that respect. The kernel version (mine is

5.9.0-36.fc34.x86_64) also doesn't seem to play any role here.

If you need some statistical information for tackling this issue, please post the necessary steps here. I think

that a lot of users would be willing to participate if it helps to get rid of this annoying bug.

Options

6 Posts

08-20-2020

Estonia

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 33 of 247

2020-11-23, 13:07 PM

It seems and feels like maybe this is our problem:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.10-Power-Management

Options

6 Posts

11-21-2020

United States of America

6 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 34 of 247

2020-11-24, 7:07 AM
Oh nice find!
Options

29 Posts

08-19-2020

Germany

55 Signins

350 Page Views

• Views: 350
  • Message 35 of 247

2020-11-24, 9:26 AM

@ MarkRHPearson wrote:

We're still working through e-cert with the T14 AMD - we're looking at an issue when the power drain is ever so slightly high when it is turned off (it's really not terrible - just 0.3 W more than it should be). 

Hi Mark, thanks for update. 

Just a notice: 0,3 W already makes about 35% of battery charge loss over a weekend: Friday evening till Monday morning would be ~19Wh from 50Wh for T14 / 57Wh for T14s. 

So it's not terrible, but really noticeable.

Options

6 Posts

08-20-2020

Estonia

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 36 of 247

2020-11-24, 10:02 AM

I tried, it was not the issue. Also reading further it only occured on discrete GPU-s which T14 does not have

Options

466 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

374 Signins

4011 Page Views

• Views: 4011
  • Message 37 of 247

2020-11-24, 22:38 PM

ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 AMD
58 version BIOS

Ubuntu

short idle

long idle4.76
sleep/suspend (S3)1.43
off0.56

Hopefully this works and I don't get into trouble :) The measurements we're currently getting from e-cert are above. 

I'm not comfortable posting the Windows numbers but the Linux numbers are pretty close. Let me know how those compare with what you guys are seeing.

For the certification - the Canonical cert is complete. I've run Fedora quite happily on the platform until I did a BIOS update manually and didn't read the update notes properly (don't jump from old to new directly if happen to be doing updates yourselves and bricked my unit...sigh

For LVFS firmware updates - there was a goof and they somehow used the same GUID as one of the ideapad platforms and are correcting that. I nudged them this morning and getting that out.

Mark

Options

29 Posts

09-08-2020

Germany

29 Signins

180 Page Views

• Message 38 of 247

2020-11-25, 11:02 AM
Hi Mark, thanks for posting those values. I think that they are comparable to what I observe on my T14 AMD running Linux. The fact that the Windows numbers are so high makes me hope that these issues will be resolved in the near future. Apart from that my Fedora experience has been mostly smooth so far. There are of course issues with USB-C docks https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-Linux-Discussions/T14-AMD-issues-with-USB-C-docks/m-p/5049470?page=1#5183348 and with the lid sensor https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T-series-Laptops/closing-the-lid-of-a-sleeping-S3-standby-T14-AMD-wakes-it/m-p/5043525?page=2#5169449 Those are, however, less fundamental than the battery drain problem.
Options

6 Posts

11-08-2020

China

7 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 39 of 247

2020-11-26, 14:19 PM

Hi guy, just a update for how I Basically solved the problem.

Unfortunately the battery drain of S3 mode on my x13 amd version is still a little larger than my older intel version thinkpad. It is about 0.6w/hour, which will drain about 15% one night.

But, we don't care about S3 or whatever mode, do we?

What we need are just two things, one is when we close the laptop, The battery had better not consume any electricity. Another is when we open the laptop next time, all things are still here. Right?

So I found a solution. that is the linux's hybird-suspend mode.

It means when we close the laptop, linux will first enter S3 mode, then after a configurable time, which I set one hour, if it is still closed, it will enter the S4 mode, which is also called hibernate mode. The battery drains almostly none in S4 mode because it saved all the ram into the swap file and just power off almost everything.

The only downside is the weakup time is a little longer than S3 mode. But because the high speed ssd and ram, the time is still acceptable. It is about 14 seconds on my 16G 512G x13. I think it is much more better than a huge battery loss. And it is still in normal fast S3 mode if you just close for a short time (for me I set it to 1hour). And the weak up from S4 never fail by now.

The configuration of a "hybird-suspend" is a little complex. I just give a summary here:

1. first ensure you can make your laptop into S4 mode, this require you reset the swap file not less than your ram size. And you can type the "service systemd-hibernate start" to test if you set it successfully.

2. The next step is a liittle trick. In fact the suspend and hibernate are all the systemd services. So you can type like "service systemd-suspend status" to check the location of configure file and its status. like this:

```

root@cloud:~# service systemd-hibernate status
● systemd-hibernate.service - Hibernate
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-hibernate.service; static; vendor preset:         // this the configure file which execute the command inside the enter SX mode
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:systemd-suspend.service(8)
root@cloud:~# service systemd-suspend status
● systemd-suspend.service - Suspend
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-suspend.service; static; vendor preset: en
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:systemd-suspend.service(8)
root@cloud:~# service systemd-hybird-suspend status

```

And there is a "systemd-suspend-then-hibernate" service which is what we need. My method is simple. I just delete the old "systemd-suspend" file and  make a soft link from the "systemd-suspend" to the "systemd-suspend-then-hibernate" to make all the suspend become hybird-suspend.  It is better than just change the /etc/systemd/logind.conf , because the system will still enter S3 mode in some situations like time out suspend(for example you just open the laptop and put it here for a long time). Replace the suspend directly to hybird-suspend is more stable.

And you can change the  HibernateDelaySec  value in /etc/systemd/sleep.conf to decide how much time before enter the S4 mode when the S3 start.

For me, Everything is fine now, except for the 14 seconds wake-up time from S4 mode.  But it doesn't matter me because it is usually the next day's first open of my laptop.

And the battery percent is almost the same after several days. I think the only loss between long time  weak up is from the power comsumption weaking up from S4(copy from disk to ram) itself.

Options

29 Posts

09-08-2020

Germany

29 Signins

180 Page Views

• Message 40 of 247

2020-12-04, 16:05 PM

I also use hibernate, but I wouldn't call that a solution. Not even a particulary good workaround (at least for my use case).

One has to consider that

• If you use LUKS, waking up from hibernate (where you need to enter your PW) takes almost the same time as a cold boot
  • Unlike standby, hibernate is not 100% stable. I already had cases when the system would lock up after 30 minutes or so after 
    waking up from hibernate. Furthermore, waking up with a USB-C dock connected seems to be another "great" opportunity to
    provoke a kernel crash.
  • Some people reported batter drain in the power-off state and it indeed seems to exists according to the table posted
    by Mark. So hibernating still drains the battery, just less than a standby.

All in all, I find this situation very unsatisfactory. The T14 AMD may have a Linux certification now, but the battery drain issues are so severe
that one can hardly recommend the machine to anyone who doesn't plan to use it connected to a power source 99% of time. If the battery
drain affects Windows users as well, then it is even worse.

I think that it is reasonable to expect Lenovo to fix this, given that these machines are business laptops, not some cheap consumer models.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms