Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

389 Posts

03-06-2021

Germany

219 Signins

2345 Page Views

• Views: 2345
  • Message 421 of 841

Re:T14 AMD battery drain in standby (Linux)

2021-06-24, 23:43 PM

@ aproximacion wrote:

@ alexkal wrote:

Maybe we should send email to help@rossmanngroup.com asking him for a video for the way lenovo treats top of the line models.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup

I' already sent them a mail, but they usually work with Macs. Maybe if we all here send them a mail we' make some noise.

Much better is to send emails to AMD directlly.

Whatever Lenovo is willing to damage their brand over that is the one thing,

but they make AMD looks very bad in the process, I guess AMD should know about this.

Also, we can ask https://www.youtube.com/c/LinuxForEveryone/about, to make his 3rd video

about the Lenovo situation, he even talked with Mark directly if I remember correctly.

Options

389 Posts

03-06-2021

Germany

219 Signins

2345 Page Views

• Message 422 of 841

2021-06-25, 1:51 AM

@ steventillson02 wrote:

I removed the battery and insert again.

This has fixed the issue for sometime but again start facing the issue.

This is the only thing I didn't test.

I know myself, if I open the thing, I won't close it 

again without trying to measure current etc ;)

I believe you are on something.. Already testing 

but without opening the laptop and removing the BAT.

Thank you.

Options

49 Posts

09-04-2010

netherland

203 Signins

1275 Page Views

• Views: 1275
  • Message 423 of 841

2021-06-25, 5:25 AM

There are lots of introductions and unboxing video's on YouTube, maybe we should comment in there as well, as this guy does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW0PLcZGtoE&t=707s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVWXYI0VrYs&t=27s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCIpeK8GIcc&lc=UgwNGhDkeXf9aTNYDbF4AaABAg

Just to fight back that army of trolls that seems to love, huge and "swaffeling" Lenovo at all times when the box is just opened.

Options

104 Posts

02-14-2021

Ukraine

139 Signins

665 Page Views

• Views: 665
  • Message 424 of 841

2021-06-25, 5:28 AM

i commented on newer gen2 amd videos asking if they also have battery drain, and placing our url forum link.

Options

104 Posts

02-14-2021

Ukraine

139 Signins

665 Page Views

• Views: 665
  • Message 425 of 841

2021-06-25, 5:31 AM

the most **bleep** up thing, is that all those reviews of gen1 amd laptop did not even go further. 

bla-bla, amd processor is more performant  than its intel counterpart. 

that’s fine, but what about **bleep** battery, sir? 😁

maybe i’m naive, but these reviews are just cosmetic and synthetic thing. 

Options

49 Posts

09-04-2010

netherland

203 Signins

1275 Page Views

• Views: 1275
  • Message 426 of 841

2021-06-25, 5:33 AM

Comments with links will be often removed, just check if it is still there after a few minutes.

Options

37 Posts

09-08-2020

Germany

39 Signins

250 Page Views

• Views: 250
  • Message 427 of 841

2021-06-25, 14:12 PM

I don't know what laptop Mark uses as his daily driver, but I can only recommend him to swap the SSDs between his
notebook and T14 AMD.

Then use T14 AMD as your main working machine for several weeks and make sure that you put it to standby and

disconnect the power cord every time you are done with your work. The first time you loose your unsaved data

because you suspended the machine with a 40% battery charge in the evening and it got discharged to 0% over

night, you might start understanding why people are so angry here.

I started this thread September last year and all statements we got from Lenovo via Mark concerned

certifications (Linux or e-cert) or where downplaying the issue, like the S3 power consumption is
somewhat higher than usual but nothing too serious.

The truth is that absolutely no one cares about these certificates if the laptop is unusable. And it is

indeed so for all practical purposes, since a notebook that cannot survive a weekend in standby with fully
charged battery is seriously broken.

According to notebookcheck.net

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T490-Laptop-Review-A-business-laptop-with-long-battery-life-and-an-iGPU.424838.0.html

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T14-laptop-review-Comet-Lake-update-doesn-t-add-much.480979.0.html

the standby per hour power consumption of T490 Intel is 0.43 W. T14 Intel consumes 0.67 W/h.
Now with T14 AMD we have 1.7 W/h which is 2.5(!) times more than that of T14 Intel and 3.9(!) times more
than the value of T490 Intel.

I'm sorry, but this is a major disaster and no way "somewhat higher than usual". If T14 AMD would consume

something like 20%-30% more than the Intel sister model, I guess that no one would really complain.

But here we are talking about 250% more and all we get from Lenovo are some very vague statements

about looking into the problem and that the values are still within the specifications.

What is more, I simply cannot believe that 1.7 W/h in S3 doesn't sound alarming to Lenovo people,

especially to the firmware team. This is more or less what other laptops consume in idle and

something that not only a firmware engineer but even a tech savvy laptop user would immediately recognize.

So naturally people in this thread get a feeling of being ignored and shaken off since a very serious and

easily(!) reproducible issue is treated as if it were a small annoyance that only concerns few people.

Furthermore, most of the people here (including myself) believed that Lenovo will sort this problem out

within a few month via a firmware update. Now it really starts to look like this a real hardware issue

that cannot be easily fixed firmware-wise. And of course if this would have been known from the very
beginning, most users would have certainly returned their T14 AMD shortly after the purchase or

would not have bought them in the first place.

I truly don't know what are the motives on the Lenovo side to treat their most loyal customers in this way.

This is an extremely short-sighted problem management strategy that does a substantial to harm to Lenovo's
reputation. I'm sure that there are lot of people who silently follow this thread without posting anything here
and those will certainly draw their conclusions from this situation.

Options

389 Posts

03-06-2021

Germany

219 Signins

2345 Page Views

• Message 428 of 841

2021-06-25, 14:41 PM

@ srgLoop wrote:

I don' know what laptop Mark uses as his daily driver, but I can only recommend him to swap the SSDs between his
notebook and T14 AMD.

Then use T14 AMD as your main working machine for several weeks and make sure that you put it to standby and

disconnect the power cord every time you are done with your work. The first time you loose your unsaved data

because you suspended the machine with a 40% battery charge in the evening and it got discharged to 0% over

night, you might start understanding why people are so angry here.

I started this thread September last year and all statements we got from Lenovo via Mark concerned

certifications (Linux or e-cert) or where downplaying the issue, like the S3 power consumption is
somewhat higher than usual but nothing too serious.

The truth is that absolutely no one cares about these certificates if the laptop is unusable. And it is

indeed so for all practical purposes, since a notebook that cannot survive a weekend in standby with fully
charged battery is seriously broken.

According to notebookcheck.net

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T490-Laptop-Review-A-business-laptop-with-long-battery-life-and-an-iGPU.424838.0.html

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T14-laptop-review-Comet-Lake-update-doesn-t-add-much.480979.0.html

the standby per hour power consumption of T490 Intel is 0.43 W. T14 Intel consumes 0.67 W/h.
Now with T14 AMD we have 1.7 W/h which is 2.5(!) times more than that of T14 Intel and 3.9(!) times more
than the value of T490 Intel.

I' sorry, but this is a major disaster and no way "somewhat higher than usual". If T14 AMD would consume

something like 20%-30% more than the Intel sister model, I guess that no one would really complain.

But here we are talking about 250% more and all we get from Lenovo are some very vague statements

about looking into the problem and that the values are still within the specifications.

What is more, I simply cannot believe that 1.7 W/h in S3 doesn' sound alarming to Lenovo people,

especially to the firmware team. This is more or less what other laptops consume in idle and

something that not only a firmware engineer but even a tech savvy laptop user would immediately recognize.

So naturally people in this thread get a feeling of being ignored and shaken off since a very serious and

easily(!) reproducible issue is treated as if it were a small annoyance that only concerns few people.

Furthermore, most of the people here (including myself) believed that Lenovo will sort this problem out

within a few month via a firmware update. Now it really starts to look like this a real hardware issue

that cannot be easily fixed firmware-wise. And of course if this would have been known from the very
beginning, most users would have certainly returned their T14 AMD shortly after the purchase or

would not have bought them in the first place.

I truly don' know what are the motives on the Lenovo side to treat their most loyal customers in this way.

This is an extremely short-sighted problem management strategy that does a substantial to harm to Lenovo'
reputation. I' sure that there are lot of people who silently follow this thread without posting anything here
and those will certainly draw their conclusions from this situation.

I do agree with all you've said.

One thing changed however, it is not about

the T14 model alone anymore, their whole line up has this issue.

P14s, X13 etc.. Since you are the thread owner, can you please 

change the thread name to include other affected machines?

Options

83 Posts

04-17-2021

Greece

59 Signins

380 Page Views

• Views: 380
  • Message 429 of 841

2021-06-25, 14:54 PM

Lenovo will do the right thing blame AMD for this issue. Or Intel for heaving lower values.  :P :P :P

Options

37 Posts

09-08-2020

Germany

39 Signins

250 Page Views

• Views: 250
  • Message 430 of 841

2021-06-25, 15:08 PM
I'd be glad to, but I'm afraid that I don't see any options to edit the thread title or the initial post. Are you sure that this is possible here?
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms