Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

44 Posts

10-20-2016

United States of America

118 Signins

645 Page Views

• Views: 645
  • Message 511 of 841

Re:T14 AMD battery drain in standby (Linux)

2021-07-07, 6:35 AM

I created a bug report on Lenovo's Chinese forum: https://club.lenovo.com.cn/thread-7806119-1-1.html (written purely in Chinese) and attached the link to this thread in the bug report. Hope Lenovo can allocate more resources within the FW team to fix this issue. 

Options

16 Posts

02-23-2021

Ukraine

28 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 512 of 841

2021-07-07, 8:18 AM

As every post I make (and I'm sure I'll regret this one) is normally followed by a barrage of abuse

I'm sorry if my responses seemed that way

As a note - thank you to those with constructive/useful posts with debug details

At a risk of being an abuser: @MarkRHPearson , this is not our responsibility to provide Lenovo with any debug details. We are not on their payroll.

Here's a constructive post: if this is way over your head, if the issue is out of you control (and from here it does look like it), escalate this higher up!

I, who paid premium price of a completely unusable garbage laptop, expect this to be solved by a company with a big name, not by a single enthusiast who tries to solve this by talking to engineers in their free time and whenever they feel like it. There must be a management decision to solve this!

Options

51 Posts

01-21-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

35 Signins

470 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 470
  • Message 513 of 841

2021-07-07, 14:15 PM

This is hilarious... better to laugh than cry.

I tried the support route, emailed the sleep study report for my laptop. Pointing out the abnormally high drain.

29 hours later... "we're sending this email to notify you the incident listed below has
been closed.". Brilliant. Even support don't want to know.

Options

676 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

471 Signins

5346 Page Views

• Views: 5346
  • Message 514 of 841

2021-07-07, 14:56 PM

Hi

@aproximacion & @ikovnatsky  - I can't comment on the numbers for Linux on the G2 as I just don't know yet. We're still doing Linux enablement on it and aren't ready to do energy cert yet (there were some last minute HW component changes that has impacted the Linux program schedule quite badly unfortunately).

The numbers published on the site referenced will be for Windows and I would expect to be valid. They'll be testing with the ship OS on shipping HW in standard configs (that's what we do for the Linux program).

I have asked the FW team if anything done there applies to the G1 - but it's a different platform with different HW (including the CPU) so I'm personally dubious about the statements people are making suggesting we've fixed issues but aren't applying them to older platforms. I'll see what the FW team say though - not heard back yet.

Mark

Options

51 Posts

01-21-2018

35 Signins

470 Page Views

• Message 515 of 841

2021-07-07, 15:07 PM

@MarkRHPearson I hope you don't feel like our frustrations are directed at you personally. I think we all appreciate the incredibly difficult position Lenovo have put you in, and how they seem to be clearly inadequately supporting you and your efforts. Ultimately Lenovo at the management level are the only ones that can really make this right. In particular given the issue extends to S0/Windows also, which is beyond your remit. They have the resources and the knowledge (gen 2 is somehow fixed, was this accidental?) to make this right but are not providing it to you/us. Why that is the case is the primary source of our frustrations.

The only way forward I can see is to raise the profile of this issue, and associated damage to the brand, such that it reaches managements awareness and it becomes in their best interest to resolve it.

Options

15 Posts

06-22-2021

Germany

34 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 516 of 841

2021-07-07, 16:35 PM

Hmm, since two days i have a sleep power consumption of ~0.6W/h or 1% with my t14s on bios 1.32 (after bios upgrade to 1.32 it was always ~3% per hour).

I did the following two things, dont know which fixed it or if it was even related to this:

1) there was a setting in the bios called sth like "allow management of wireless connections" i enabled it (dont wanna reboot to bios to check how its called exactly and where it is, it was in the menu where the UEFI ipv4 and ipv6 stuff is.., i also dont know if it was disabled by default or if i disabled it at some point)

2) i called the support and the guy told me:

-  switch off your laptop

- disconnect from power

- turn it over

- below the top right rubberfoot (if top is where the display hinges are) there is a tiny hole

- press 4x with a needle in it  and then 1x very long for like 20sec

apparently this drains all power from all components or sth - but call support yourself to make sure its a valid procedure for your model too

so since then i have a reasonable sleep power consumption, it survived a couple of sleeps and hibernates - lets see if it stays like this

Options

26 Posts

10-10-2020

Belgium

35 Signins

155 Page Views

• Views: 155
  • Message 517 of 841

2021-07-07, 16:48 PM

@MarkRHPearson  it's nothing against you.

I'm sure you are trying your best, but you have to understand us, it becomes really frustrating.

Lenovo as a whole should do something about it, not just you. And just posting that you don't really know or you don't hear back from teams is not helping.

We are under the impression that you do your best for us, all complaining on this forum, and that nothing really moves.

You know there is an issue, but basically what you're telling us is that it's not really an issue, and it's normal. And maybe some people will try to look into it, but no guarantees on that.

I think it needs more people on the issue, and like @dwik1 said, maybe raising more awareness to the management, escalation, whatever.

I paid a lot for this laptop, I made a bet on the AMD g1 because I really thought that even if there were some issues with Linux, it would be fixed over time.

I was ready to help on that, but this issue is really out of what I was expecting, and render the laptop almost unusable.

Options

6 Posts

06-27-2021

Canada

15 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 518 of 841

2021-07-07, 17:30 PM

I think it's important that this problem gets tackled from two different directions.

The main one is the platform-independent issue, i.e. why is even Windows on a 1.2 W consumption level and what changed in Gen 2 laptops to fix it - so we know whether the fix can be replicated or not on Gen 1 devices. Judging by the various numbers that users have been reporting, here and elsewhere on the web, it appears that there is an element of randomness that makes it go from the expected 0.x Watts (after battery detachment?) up to your reported 1.67 W or anything in between. Now this thread has been created with Linux and S3 in mind, but the data (including your energy cert) shows that it needs to be solved for Windows as well. Measurements on Linux in particular should be viewed as just a tool to resolve the actual issue at hand. @MarkRHPearson, as the resident Linux lead at Lenovo, you should get help from the relevant team(s) to investigate this for Windows as well.

The second question is why "Linux" S3 sleep would not perform better than "Windows" S0ix sleep. This is also an important question, but secondary because unless we know what the root cause is for the generally high and apparently unreliable power consumption across operating systems, people here will not care much about getting Linux sleep similar to Windows sleep numbers because both are terrible.

So the question is really, can we get a representative of Lenovo to own the main issue across operating systems and join this thread (or open another one for Windows, if really needed) so @MarkRHPearson can focus on just the Linux parts? And can we get a root cause analysis about what component or interactions between components are causing the excessive consumption even just for Windows?

Options

35 Posts

01-23-2021

Argentina

51 Signins

430 Page Views

• Views: 430
  • Message 519 of 841

2021-07-07, 20:01 PM

Right Mark, it's not personal, in fact you're the only one that's showing the face on behalf of Lenovo. We understand you.

But imagine you're on the opposite side, like we are all here, you've already paid for a premium laptop and you can't even close the lid because you might lose your work, neither use your warranty because the issue is not even acknowledged by Lenovo.

We just need you and whoever else is in charge of support to **escalate** this issue. It's not a minor. You are not a startup

Options

51 Posts

01-21-2018

35 Signins

470 Page Views

• Message 520 of 841

2021-07-08, 8:36 AM

I've created a thread on the P series forum (I have a P14s so can answer questions related to that), duplicating some of the information here in order to increase visibility across OSes and involve Windows engineers too.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile-Workstations/T14-P14s-T14s-Gen-1-AMD-S0-Standby-Windows-high-battery-drain/m-p/5087630

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms