Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

407 Posts

03-06-2021

Germany

227 Signins

2420 Page Views

  • Posts: 407
  • Registered: ‎03-06-2021
  • Location: Germany
  • Views: 2420
  • Message 601 of 841

Re:T14 AMD battery drain in standby (Linux)

2021-07-16, 13:16 PM

@ joni1101 wrote:

LLVM working now for the bios update? 

 

Any changes required in turning off secure boot a priori?

 

 

 

No idea and is way off topic here.

 

But to quickly answer, I had SB off, and I didn't use LVM.

( In fact how LVM matters? )

Reply
Options

407 Posts

03-06-2021

Germany

227 Signins

2420 Page Views

  • Posts: 407
  • Registered: ‎03-06-2021
  • Location: Germany
  • Views: 2420
  • Message 602 of 841

Re:T14 AMD battery drain in standby (Linux)

2021-07-16, 13:20 PM

@ joni1101 wrote:

Did you do it with LLVM?

 

I guess you mean LVFS? That answer is no, I don't wait ages and then possibly break my box.

I use the ISO file to update.

Reply
Options

27 Posts

11-17-2013

Toronto

30 Signins

115 Page Views

  • Posts: 27
  • Registered: ‎11-17-2013
  • Location: Toronto
  • Views: 115
  • Message 603 of 841

Re:T14 AMD battery drain in standby (Linux)

2021-07-16, 15:38 PM
You're right, this is off topic. Sorry. I did mean LVFS. There is a separate thread about the 1.32 update bricking some people's T14s when done through LVFS. They pulled 1.32 off LVFS. Again apologies for being off topic here.
Reply
Options

775 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

504 Signins

5996 Page Views

  • Posts: 775
  • Registered: ‎07-22-2019
  • Location: Canada
  • Views: 5996
  • Message 604 of 841

Re:T14 AMD battery drain in standby (Linux)

2021-07-16, 19:25 PM

Just as a note on the kernel patches mentioned in comments. I've discussed that with the AMD engineers:

 

Most of the support (90%) is in 5.14-rc1 with the remaining 10% in 5.14-rc2

This is being added for the next generation of AMD CPUs and is *not* plan of record for the current generation. It should work (and that's backed up by the various reports on this thread) but isn't officially supported.

The firmware team are looking at how we improve the S3 sleep numbers - which is going to be what we can officially support (even though the S0ix numbers are looking awesome).

 

For the FW update comments - I've replied in the other forum post about those, but the FW will be on LVFS (not up yet). There is still an issue with secure boot enabled but that's nothing to do with our firmware update and is being worked on by the shim community. Workaround for now is to disable secure boot.

 

Thanks

Mark

Reply
Options

28 Posts

10-01-2012

Austria

45 Signins

302 Page Views

  • Posts: 28
  • Registered: ‎10-01-2012
  • Location: Austria
  • Views: 302
  • Message 605 of 841

Re:T14 AMD battery drain in standby (Linux)

2021-07-16, 20:34 PM

@ MarkRHPearson wrote:

This is being added for the next generation of AMD CPUs and is *not* plan of record for the current generation. It should work (and that's backed up by the various reports on this thread) but isn't officially supported.

 

This is a very strange statement. As far as I can tell and can be seen here they clearly started implementing for current gen CPUs, right? Such a strange move they'd suddenly lose interest in it.

 

Reply
Options

6 Posts

06-27-2021

Canada

15 Signins

30 Page Views

  • Posts: 6
  • Registered: ‎06-27-2021
  • Location: Canada
  • Views: 30
  • Message 606 of 841

Re:T14 AMD battery drain in standby (Linux)

2021-07-16, 21:14 PM

@ alexhofbauer wrote:

@ MarkRHPearson wrote:

This is being added for the next generation of AMD CPUs and is *not* plan of record for the current generation. It should work (and that's backed up by the various reports on this thread) but isn't officially supported.

 

This is a very strange statement. As far as I can tell and can be seen here they clearly started implementing for current gen CPUs, right? Such a strange move they'd suddenly lose interest in it.

 

My reading of Mark's statement is that Lenovo will support S0ix for future AMD laptops and probably get rid of S3 then. And they're also collaborating with AMD on this. AMD, on the other hand, obviously have their own incentives and would care more about making this functionality work even for machines that have been released already. On the long FreeDesktop thread, it's clear that both past and future devices are being considered, as well as the fact that past devices are likely to need special case treatment because they weren't designed with S0ix support in mind.

Reply
Options

6 Posts

06-27-2021

Canada

15 Signins

30 Page Views

  • Posts: 6
  • Registered: ‎06-27-2021
  • Location: Canada
  • Views: 30
  • Message 607 of 841

Re:T14 AMD battery drain in standby (Linux)

2021-07-16, 21:20 PM

@ MarkRHPearson wrote:

The firmware team are looking at how we improve the S3 sleep numbers - which is going to be what we can officially support (even though the S0ix numbers are looking awesome).

 

Thanks for not forgetting about this despite the otherwise good news regarding S0ix sleep! I think this is also important, not just because a lot of users might miss this thread, but also because trouble-free S0ix sleep in a mainline kernel will still take months to get into most users' hands, even once the kernel is officially released.

Reply
Options

775 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

504 Signins

5996 Page Views

  • Posts: 775
  • Registered: ‎07-22-2019
  • Location: Canada
  • Views: 5996
  • Message 608 of 841

Re:T14 AMD battery drain in standby (Linux)

2021-07-16, 21:25 PM

I think it's the difference between official and unofficial support. AMD have a bunch of great engineers and they're likely going to try and make it work - but officially the support is for the next-gen. 

 

Reply
Options

407 Posts

03-06-2021

Germany

227 Signins

2420 Page Views

  • Posts: 407
  • Registered: ‎03-06-2021
  • Location: Germany
  • Views: 2420
  • Message 609 of 841

Re:T14 AMD battery drain in standby (Linux)

2021-07-16, 21:47 PM

@ MarkRHPearson wrote:

Just as a note on the kernel patches mentioned in comments. I've discussed that with the AMD engineers:

 

Most of the support (90%) is in 5.14-rc1 with the remaining 10% in 5.14-rc2

This is being added for the next generation of AMD CPUs and is *not* plan of record for the current generation. It should work (and that's backed up by the various reports on this thread) but isn't officially supported.

The firmware team are looking at how we improve the S3 sleep numbers - which is going to be what we can officially support (even though the S0ix numbers are looking awesome).

 

For the FW update comments - I've replied in the other forum post about those, but the FW will be on LVFS (not up yet). There is still an issue with secure boot enabled but that's nothing to do with our firmware update and is being worked on by the shim community. Workaround for now is to disable secure boot.

 

Thanks

Mark

 

The firmware team... Bhahahahaha... Didn't they have enough time to 'look'? 

 

How hard it is, to be honest? That isn't going to be fixed, this is clear for me now.

 

While I appreciate your work, and I know it is not easy, I'm not sure how I can take you or

Lenovo seriously anymore.

 

Best Regards,

 

Gabriel

 

Reply
Options

407 Posts

03-06-2021

Germany

227 Signins

2420 Page Views

  • Posts: 407
  • Registered: ‎03-06-2021
  • Location: Germany
  • Views: 2420
  • Message 610 of 841

Re:T14 AMD battery drain in standby (Linux)

2021-07-17, 0:20 AM

@MarkRHPearson,

 

you may want to ask the 'firmware team' to use a real compiler to check their code,

even if they use the weird one for the official package.

 

Compiling that code with iasl blows up your screen, all sorts of mistakes, all over the place.

In general, the 'firmware team' should fix and clean up their code first, before searching for anything else.

 

Missing returns.

Returns where it should not.

Unknow reserved names.

Unknow UUIDs.

Unused local's.

Unused methods.

Unreferenced objects.

Unreferenced objects within methods.

Unused method args

Serialized vs NotSerialized

Multiple types for devices.

Use of reserved names

 

 to name some things.

 

( I didn't mention the inefficient code, a lot of that around )

 

I personally expect something like this from a brand like Medion (ALDI ) from 2010,

not from Lenovo 2021, especially not for 1.5k+ euros products.

 

But while we talk about S3, what is that meant to do:

 

(_PTS & _WAK )

 

\_SB.PCI0.SMB.PEWS = \_SB.PCI0.SMB.PEWS

 

bc it does nothing, it just references itself.

 

Is someone from the BIOS teams willing to interact with the community?

 

 

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)

View All