cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jnWibble
Punch Card
Views: 1,966
Message 1 of 8

The fix that was not a fix: On the X1C6, the S3 sleep state, implemented BIOS 1.30, breaks touchpad

The new X1C6 BIOS - version 1.30, which enables The new X1C6 BIOS - version 1.30, which enables the S3 sleep state - seems to mess up the touchpad (even more than it was messed up before, after sleep). the S3 sleep state - seems to mess up the touchpad (even more than it was messed up before, after sleep). For, after a long-ish period of sleep (that has to be initiated via closing the laptop lid?), the touchpad no longer works or - sometimes - has only some of its functionality (in that edge scrolling and/or long drags and/or tap-to-click and/or custom acceleration stop working)

I have tried a host of workaround - mainly to do with loading and unloading a touchpad driver - that used to work but no longer do.

The problem might be my system (4.18 kernel, Linux Mint) but I suspect that Lenovo has (once again) messed up. Indeed, the tool that used to fix the sleep problem no longer works on the S3 enabled BIOS, so one cannot - at least at present - revert to that. Thus,  Lenovo's Linux sleep 'fix' has actually made things worse than they were before.

I bought a ThinkPad because I thought it would have good Linux support. Instead, I got an expensive machine that has problems on Linux with: sleeping; touchpad; trackpoint (in that one cannot enable it at the same time as the touchpad); thermal throttling; firmwre updates. Also, support - even 'managed support' - has barely heard of Linux. It's a bad joke.

PS: The current 'solution' to the S3 problem also stuffs those who dual-boot, as noted in another thread.

zaphot
SCSI Port
Views: 1,856
Message 2 of 8

Re: The fix that was not a fix: On the X1C6, the S3 sleep state, implemented BIOS 1.30, breaks touc

i had the same issue under ubuntu 18.04 but somehow managed to solve it. Since mint is just ubuntu maybe the same steps could help you:

the module i2c_i801 is blacklisted by default in ubuntu this can be undone by commenting the line blacklist i2c_i801 in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

moreover the libinput 10.x used by ubuntu is quite old and has x1c6 bugs (see https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/issues/46) -> i manually downloaded libinput10_1.12.0-1_amd64.deb libinput-bin_1.12.0-1_amd64.deb xserver-xorg-input-libinput_0.28.0-1_amd64.deb from ubuntu 18.10 and manually installed them with dpkg

-> no issues anymore, besides that my trackpoint is sometimes lost after suspend

Moreover, there is a launchpad bug report for this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1791427

jnWibble
Punch Card
Views: 1,835
Message 3 of 8

Re: The fix that was not a fix: On the X1C6, the S3 sleep state, implemented BIOS 1.30, breaks touc

Thanks.

I've tried the unblacklisting trick (in combination with various other things) to no avail.

I use synaptic - but when I tried libinput, I still had the problem. True, I could try a recent version of libinput, as you suggest; but then you proceed to say 'no issues anymore, besides that my trackpoint is sometimes lost after suspend'. But, hold on, that was the very problem about which I wrote in the first place.

zaphot
SCSI Port
Views: 1,821
Message 4 of 8

you have written "breaks touchpad" but trackpoint != touchpad and the touchpad is now working fine for me now.

the "touchpad; trackpoint (in that one cannot enable it at the same time as the touchpad);" problem you described is fixed for me by unblacklisting the module -> i can enable both trackpad and trackpoint in bios

for testing the new libinput version, you could just download ubuntu 18.10 live daily and test it.
jnWibble
Punch Card
Views: 1,814
Message 5 of 8

Right. My mistake. Thanks. I could download Ubuntu 18.10 live daily and test it. Or perhaps I could get hold of the new libinput software and install it on my Linux Mint system. However, I am having trouble obtaining that software. You name some packages, but I can't seem to locate them on the web. Would you point me in the right direction, please?

By the way, and for the attention of any Lenovo employees who might see this: this page seems to suggest that Lenovo has made a simple mistake in their drivers.

zaphot
SCSI Port
Views: 1,794
Message 6 of 8

the packages are available here:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libinput

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-libinput

you have to expand the list by clicking on the triangle before 1.12.0-1. Then, you have to look for the packages which you currently have installed. For me it was libinput10  libinput-bin  xserver-xorg-input-libinput. So i downloaded libinput10_1.12.0-1_amd64.deb libinput-bin_1.12.0-1_amd64.deb  xserver-xorg-input-libinput_0.28.0-1_amd64.deb (amd64 for 64bit mint/ubuntu version)

you can then install them with sudo dpkg -i libinput10_1.12.0-1_amd64.deb  libinput-bin_1.12.0-1_amd64.deb  xserver-xorg-input-libinput_0.28.0-1_amd64.deb

jnWibble
Punch Card
Views: 1,783
Message 7 of 8

Thank you for those fairly detailed instructions. I managed to follow them. Then I had to create a libinput conf file to override my synaptics one. Then - after removing my previous hacks, and doing the de-blacklist thing - all seemed to work, save for some stuff, esp. edge-scrolling, that seemed a matter of configuration. But then, after the laptop had been suspended by having the lid closed for 15 minutes or so, upon resumption from sleep . . the trackpad did not work at all. Nor did reinititialising its driver help.

I'll leave libinput installed and see how I get on with it. I've had to change the BIOS sleep mode back to 'Windows 10', though.

jnWibble
Punch Card
Views: 1,119
Message 8 of 8

There is a new fix for this. Again, it does not actually work.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors