Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Ziniral
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,400
Message 11 of 235

Re: ThinkPad E485/E585 - Firmware bug ACPI IVRS table

A new BIOS version for the E585 was released last week. Despite the large version number increase, the bug still seems to be not fixed.

Overriding the ACPI table with ivrs_ioapic[32]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[33]=00:00.1 spec_store_bypass_disable=on works fine for me, despite some annoying error/warning messages during boot. The performance and power consumption with these boot parameters is also on the same level as Windows, so you have no performance disadvantages. Also my fan is always quiet. I didn't test the iommu=soft command,because with the former parameters everything works. However, it would be nice if the bug could be fixed quickly, because this can be no solution on a long term run.

As distribution I use OpenSuse Tumbleweed (Rolling Release). The upcoming Kernel 4.19 will be interesting for every Ryzen/E485/E585 user, since power management of the AMD GPU will be further improved. (https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Linux-4-19-CPU-Vertrauensfrage-und-Meltdown-Schutz-fuer-32-Bit-CPUs-...)

FlyingKiwi311
Paper Tape
Views: 3,366
Message 12 of 235

Yes, please fix the IVRS table in the BIOS!

It is very annoying that no distro live image boots out of the box. One has to fiddle with kernel parameters each time. Since this is the only laptop I know with this kind of problem I tend to forget this extra step and end up stuck with a black screen.

Btw: Most people seem to be happy with the fan noise. In my case the fan is rather loud and continuously runs. According to /proc/acpi/ibm/fan the minimum rotational speed is around 10000 RPM (which equals to level 1). Level 0 means the fan is off. Why is there no setting in between, let's say 2000 RPM. This way in most light use cases the fan would be inaudible.

Maybe a BIOS update could also improve this situation.

Wingqlip
SCSI Port
Views: 3,357
Message 13 of 235

Good luck, you'll be very lucky to have them reply within a week, and luckier if they can get the next bios update fixing throttling and fan issues within the next 2 months. I'm having mine returned. Too much hassle to pre alpha test a laptop with a battery half as advertised. I reckon we should start returning these then buy something that's either a real thinkpad or from the xiaomi line 

Ziniral
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,287
Message 14 of 235

The fan issue seems to be specific for the E485, because of the small case (14").

The E585 has the same hardware but with a bigger case/display (15,6"), so the air can better circulate and there are no noice/fan issues.

hErMeS_0815
Paper Tape
Views: 3,142
Message 15 of 235

@ Lenovo

please fix these errors in firmware to get a full compliant bios/uefi

other vendors/distributors are able to release full working firmwares

thanks

gwl37
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,020
Message 16 of 235

Without a proper ACPI table this laptop is not able to boot Windows 7, even when Windows 7 Compatibility mode is selected in the BIOS.

Please fix this and adhere to proper ACPI Standards.

Thanks

AgatheHalfPower
What's DOS?
Views: 2,959
Message 17 of 235

Hi,

I have that issue also. It pisses me off. I called their ''technical'' support. Worst team ever. I even got on the line with someone that says she was an software engineer, I hope she's not, I really do.

Also, I changed my HDD for an SSD myself. I had to unlock every single safety inside the BIOS. After reading that article (https://thehackernews.com/2018/09/uefi-rootkit-malware.html), I was amazed by my Lenovo device.

I am not having any noise fan issue so far. I hope it will still go on. If 1'' is doing all the difference for fans, they really need to change their engineers.

Wingqlip
SCSI Port
Views: 2,932
Message 18 of 235

Their engineers give me the impression that they are either interns or primary school graduates. Bunch of monkeys can't even flip a few numbers in a bios editor or edit the tdp of the device. How do you screw up the keyboard so that it reverses keystrokes? How do you make a trackpoint driver that drifts the mouse all the time?

Most importantly, lenovo has made a deal with microsoft to allow only the installation of windows on it. Details are scarce, but it seems hhat github was mentioned in the article, or the other way around. 

Ziniral
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,885
Message 19 of 235

At least a better communication would be nice, like "We are working hard to fix the problem as fast as possible".

I am seeing the reporter of the issue, EvilAzrael, is now listed here in the forums as employee of Lenovo. Has Lenovo hired him to fix that problem? That would be nice.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 2,779
Message 20 of 235

Was working for Lenovo until last month, but for a different department. The notebook was my private one, so all the testing was done in my free time. Company policies mandated that I have to be flagged as employee. So they got an employee with such a nice nick name. Please do not ask further.

I did not have access to any internal resources, all I want was to get Linux working, even if only for backup/recovery purposes, so it was trial and error and a lot of reading in the beginning. My final conclusion was based on a comparison with a working notebook from a competitor. My guess of the root cause may be wrong, but least this workaround worked for me with the least side effects.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors