Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arcooke
Punch Card
Views: 2,992
Message 21 of 259

Re: ThinkPad E485/E585 - Firmware bug ACPI IVRS table

Thanks for posting your fix by the way, I wouldn't have been able to keep my laptop if it weren't for your blog post.  It's basically the only resource on the internet with info needed to get the thing working with linux.  Never would have expected such a weird issue

So.. you at least saved Lenovo from one $900 return Smiley Happy

MariuszM
Paper Tape
Views: 2,931
Message 22 of 259

Many thanks @EvilAzrael for the solution how to run linux on this Lenovo. I'm happy that at least it's working.

I hope that lenovo is working on fix.

marvinda
Paper Tape
Views: 2,655
Message 23 of 259

Has Lenovo decided to ignore this bug?

dcbbleo
Punch Card
Views: 2,636
Message 24 of 259

I don't think they will ignore it because it also affects Windows. AMD CPUs with a working MMU usually have an "AMD IOMMU Device" listed in device manager.

Since security is an important consideration with business machines like the ThinkPad series, I'm confident it will be fixed. I/O Virtualization is being used more an more to enhance security and Microsoft even has a compatibility test for this feature.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/test/hlk/testref/3b880cc8-516d-4ab4-9d7f-88b558bf4...

My naive guess is that an update will be made along with the next batch of GPU and driver updates so they don't have to keep uploading tiny patches.

I think it's a big enough deal when OS's are depending on the iommu for a acpi info. I am surprised, however, that the bios just offers one option for amd-v. Other bioses I've used had separate options to enable amd-v/intel vt-x and amd-vi/intel vt-d.

For now, I have OpenSuse running well enough with iommu=soft, even though it's not my primary OS. It's actually my primary boot loader with secure boot enabled so I'm impressed.

FreeBSD stalls before completing device initializations but NetBSD makes it to the installer.

Highlighted
dcbbleo
Punch Card
Views: 2,271
Message 25 of 259

This issue has not been addressed in the newly-released bios (1.46).

I hope AMD and it's partners will take this seriously.

Hans0815
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,149
Message 26 of 259

I also updated to BIOS version 1.46 and came to the result that this problem is not fixed.

In my eyes it is not a critical problem. Arch Linux still boots thanks to EvilAzreal. Nevertheless this should be addressed by Lenovo.

I have an additional bug. My device freezes after waking up Manjaro Linux from standby longer than ~30 minutes. This could also have to do with plugging in/out the power supply during standby. Can anyone confirm this behaviour? I suspect this problem might be related to our initial problem. If not, this post may be shifted to another topic.

iliash
Paper Tape
Views: 2,122
Message 27 of 259

Completely unusable. Lenovo pls fix

Laptop froze mid kernel update on bootloader generation stage, which, predictably, made my whole Linux partition invisible to BIOS.

Freaked out, thought I lost the day of work. Contemplating Windows migration now...

thalandor
Punch Card
Views: 2,073
Message 28 of 259

Yes, I can confirm something like that. Leave the laptop sleeping for too long and it doesn't wake. It also tends to freeze completely, but that doesn't happen often. (Fedora with kernel 4.19.2) I don't know if it is related to this firmware bug.

Also maybe related? I replaced the wifi/bluetooth chip and it is only recognized after resuming from suspend. You can check with lsusb -t before and after. The device is simply not visible before suspend.

Hans0815
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,062
Message 29 of 259

Thanks for your confirmation of the maybe-related "long standby Linux problem". Unlike your device, mine has no "random freezing" and I don't have problems with the 1x1 original wifi card. This is an obvious question, but did you try memtest86?
日有食之
What's DOS?
Views: 2,050
Message 30 of 259

Lenovo,pls fix this!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors