Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ridobe
SCSI Port
Views: 1,138
Message 241 of 274

Re: ThinkPad E485/E585 - Firmware bug ACPI IVRS table

As of 1/11/19 in post number 66 , I no longer needed the IVRS override.  I still don't.  There's an image of my boot command line in that post.

mmBabji
Paper Tape
Views: 1,041
Message 242 of 274

I am facing the Screen blinking (every 5 seconds) while using the eclipse tool , 

I am using Ubunut Mate 18.04 LTS in my Thinkpad E485 . 

I guess its due to improper graphics support in mate Os. 

does anybody know if they are facing screen blink in ubunut 19.04 (or any other flavors you are currently using). 

Highlighted
drlivingstone
Paper Tape
Views: 1,026
Message 243 of 274

There is no blinking in Ubuntu Mate 19.04. No other bug has been reported yet. We do not use Eclipse though.

We have been told that a new BIOS with the IVRS patch will be released near the end of August.

Chicurrichi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 963
Message 244 of 274

Thanks God they'll finally fix it.

750lux
Fanfold Paper
Views: 901
Message 245 of 274

I hope this is true!

defekTiVE
Paper Tape
Views: 794
Message 246 of 274

"We have been told that a new BIOS with the IVRS patch will be released near the end of August."

Is there an offical statement of that somewhere? I've been searching for one  and cant find anything

Colin1374
Paper Tape
Views: 602
Message 247 of 274

Wow what a ride i've had in the past few days.

POP_OS had an unrelated issue to all of this that I couldn't resolve so I erased and installed. I decided I might as well distro hop since apparently you don't need to extra entry for ivrs table in Arch, so I download new firmware update that they recently released and then I downloaded arch and....well idk dude but that didn't work for me, I still had to use the extra line. I was having some issues with that so I got impatient, and decided to go back to pop_os (if this laptop didn't already have so many issues, i'd deal with the extra work it normally takes to install arch, i've installed it on a VM before so I get it)

well, I loaded Pop os 19 and after an apt update command with a reboot my wifi no longer worked. I decided it was likely something that got updated so instead of investigating I decided to install 18.10 LTS instead. Again, worked in the live usb but after reboot where the setup guide tries to get you to log into various services COULD NOT find any wifi networks. I rebooted into windows 10 (I have a separate drive for windows) and wifi works fine.

I'm so tired of this laptop. I regret doing the firmware update because until then I was "dealing" with the ivrs thing, I memorized the command and got real good at knowing when to check for pop_os overwriting the command. I really want to sell this thing and buy something else. Something with intel I guess since this seems to be related to AMD based on other postings. I can't believe out of all the thinkpad laptops I picked up, I picked the ONE that has terrible linux compatibility.

Anyway, does anyone know how to roll back to the march firmware update? I can't find it on the website. If I have to use windows then this laptop is useless to me, and I don't want to VM linux.

Chicurrichi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 585
Message 248 of 274

It's been said in this topic that you can downgrade, so download an older bios version and install it.
drlivingstone
Paper Tape
Views: 553
Message 249 of 274

"Is there an offical statement of that somewhere? I've been searching for one  and cant find anything"

No official statement to share, sorry.

Xepter
Fanfold Paper
Views: 536
Message 250 of 274

Yeah I managed to sell my E485 and good riddance. There was a lot going for it - cheap(ish), powerful, good keyboard, good port selection. A lot not going for it - crap screen, bad battery life.

But the worst was this whole Linux fiasco. What a sour taste Lenovo has left in our mouths for refusing to acknowledge the problem, let alone fix it. Disgusting. Bought a Dell XPS 15 and it flies. I still have a mild panic attack when it looks like something has frozen (a la E485 CPU stall) but it comes back fine. You'd think a company that has been making computers for nearly 30 years would be able to get a BIOS right...or at least admit they botched it up

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors