Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xepter
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,225
Message 211 of 230

Re: ThinkPad E485/E585 - Firmware bug ACPI IVRS table

I have never had resume issues with this laptop (or very, very rarely) until these last couple of weeks. No new kernel changes or driver updates (kernel 5.0.0). Here is my GRUB parameters below with all of the other things I've tried too.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash ivrs_ioapic[32]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[33]=00:00.1 amd_iommu=pt"

#amd_iommu_dump=1  
# Reduce GPU power draw: amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffbfff amd_iommu=on" 
# JimmyTwoShoots fix to drop idle power and fix everything. 4.20.8
# amd_iommu_dump=1 ivrs_ioapic[32]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[33]=00:00.1 psmouse.synaptics_intertouch=1 iommu=pt amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffbfff 
#Old Fix: ivrs_ioapic[32]=00:14.0
#SD Card Fix: ivrs_ioapic[33]=00:00.1
#Fix CPU Stalling issue: idle=nomwait
#New Fix: iommu=soft # NO makes performance bad, use pt 
#KVM AMD?: amd_iommu=on

I'm over this laptop and I'm over Lenovo ignoring this. Linux is used for my work and having to hard power off it every second resume is just garbage.

I'll give this laptop (with Windows) to a family friend who needs one and I'm stealing my girlfriend's old Macbook. I abhor Apple but... BSD-based OS with beautiful hardware to boot? I think I've seen the light (or more accurately: been forced into it by Lenovo). Strange, never thought 2019 would be the Year of OSX for me.

Colin1374
Paper Tape
Views: 1,197
Message 212 of 230

You can also run VMs on Macbooks quite well (T2 chip prevents any OS outside of macOS) but they perform very well.

dcbbleo
Punch Card
Views: 1,175
Message 213 of 230

I'm not an Apple fan, either but I have the same positive sentiments about OS X (and negative ones about Lenovo)

OS X is certified UNIX and so very stable. I have an old MacBook stuck on Lion that I leave on all the time and it very rarely crashes or freezes even when a rogue app fails.

I still wish Linux hadn't fragmented the Open unix world, though.

Xepter
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,153
Message 214 of 230

This has the T1 chip so I think still possible for other OS's but don't think I will...

This has been my conclusion too in regards to the fragmentation of Linux / GNU. They really need some strong leadership (like how Linux has Linus) to bring everything together and define standards. There are so many things Linux OSs do better (and there's a lot that they don't) but there isn't some great big conspiracy holding it back from <current year> being the year we finally see Linux on the Desktop. They need to band together, knuckle down, stop fragmenting everything (at least in the consumer space), and really push out a stable and functional distribution.

gcvvvvvv
What's DOS?
Views: 819
Message 215 of 230

I will never ever buy another Lenovo thinkbook. Tried multiple usb bootable drives in multiple configurations with Manjaro, Ubuntu, and Arch distros, with secure boot off in the BIOS, I never get past a black screen with the usb drive connected. Tried updating the E585 BIOS as well, but that changed nothing. 

My drives work no problem for booting linux OSes on my desktop and my macbook. It almost feels like this particular thinkbook was made to intentionally make this a difficult process. Never again. Waste of time and money, now I have to find the next sucker to pawn this off to on ebay.

ridobe
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 809
Message 216 of 230

@gcvvvvvv,

Did you add the ivrs parm to your boot line?

gcvvvvvv
What's DOS?
Views: 794
Message 217 of 230

I have no idea how to change boot params if all I see if a black screen. Everything I've googled suggests that the only way I can update boot params is after I get some prompt or see some menu on the screen. I don't get anything-- I just get a black screen forever

https://askubuntu.com/questions/19486/how-do-i-add-a-kernel-boot-parameter

https://askubuntu.com/questions/919615/make-boot-parameters-permanent-on-live-session-itself

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_parameters#GRUB

ridobe
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 774
Message 218 of 230

Can you not hit 'E' while booting up? I think that's how grub works. I use systemd-boot and I use the space bar.

Colin1374
Paper Tape
Views: 715
Message 219 of 230

You gotta spam that E key constantly the second your computer looks to be booting at all. Even before the Lenovo screen. 

Seltox
Paper Tape
Views: 313
Message 220 of 230

I installed another SSD into this thing so I can keep a stable 'working' installation while I fiddle.

One thing I noticed is that Gentoo Linux has _no problems_ booting.  The minimal installer image boots immediately, no changes required.  After performing installation it still booted with no kernel parameters.

For those that don't know the general premise behind Gentoo is that you customise _everything_.  Part of the installation process requires configuring & compiling the kernel yourself.  This got me thinking that there may be just something enabled in the kernel that doesn't play nicely with this laptop - if we can figure out what that is it could lead to a solution.

Unfortunately I actually know very little about the kernel itself, and this was my first time configuring & compiling it.  I have a few things I want to test (like using the automated genkernel and seeing if that boots with 'default' configuration).  I have no idea what I'm doing, but it's a good learning opportunity.

Edit:  Worth noting that my 'stock bootable' Gentoo install is actually running Kernel 4.19.44, so it's even a little old.  Also worth noting that I still have no graphical environment set up on it Smiley Happy

https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors