Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vincentphycent
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,848
Message 1 of 5

ThinkPad P1 Linux Certification

When will the ThinkPad P1 be certified for linux operation?

Lenovo Employee DaveOber
Lenovo Employee
Views: 942
Message 2 of 5

Re: ThinkPad P1 Linux Certification

Which Linux distribution are you looking for certification - RedHat - Ubuntu - other

vincentphycent
Fanfold Paper
Views: 902
Message 3 of 5

The issue has been fixed a long time. I have tried both Ubuntu and Redhat and they both work.

However, the power limit on battery mode is way too low for a mobile workstation. The BIOS settings do not seem to change this behavior. Being a mobile workstation, it should not require the user to plug it in at all times. I hope Lenovo can take a look at this issue/bug/settings.

I have another post on this particular issue:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/BIOS-Bug-ThinkPad-P1-X1Extreme-Thermal-P...

JardaT
Fanfold Paper
Views: 808
Message 4 of 5

I had chance to try X1Carbon 6th gen and I also saw that this computer can run much faster.
Point is that there is no bug or at least not a bug in laptop and its BIOS, linux just in case of new Core i (from 2nd get up to now) CPUs use intel pstate driver instead of old ACPI driver and powersave governor (should be similar to ondemand but clock is much lower) is set as default as result of this.
In ubuntu based distros you can use package cpufrequtils to access governor setting from terminal or tlp to create your own power plan including responses on dock or wired network connection.

Tlp including gui can be also obtained from here https://launchpad.net/~linrunner/+archive/ubuntu/tlp

Alternatively you can try disabling intel_pstate driver by adding intel_pstate=disable in /etc/default/grub on line with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT so it will look like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash quiet intel_pstate=disable"

This should allow you to chose between various cpu governors. Cpufreq and tlp is working with both drivers.

vincentphycent
Fanfold Paper
Views: 791
Message 5 of 5

This won't allow you to get past 25 W on battery on the ThinkPad P1. This is a either bug or unreleased feature in the BIOS. Changing the power mode from Battery Optimized to Bettery Performance should give you more power on battery.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors