Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

10-06-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 5

ThinkPad P14s Gen 2a (AMD) only boots Windows

2021-10-06, 12:46 PM

Hello :)

I have just bought a ThinkPad P14s Gen2a (AMD) and I had trouble installing Linux on it.

This surprised me greatly because I ordered the machine without an operating system — is there any reason why Lenovo have decided to configure it in such a way that it cannot easily boot other operating systems than Windows?

For anybody else facing this problem simply copy the alternative EFI loader to /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi on the EFI system partition to allow it to boot.

Options

3656 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

286 Signins

18395 Page Views

• Views: 18395
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:ThinkPad P14s Gen 2a (AMD) only boots Windows

2021-10-06, 18:14 PM

Hello Head_on_a_Stick,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

You may use this Ubuntu Linux Setup Guide for guidance.
Though the document did not indicate if this is for Gen 1 or 2, still you may use this as a guidance for installing the OS.
We appreciate for sharing the workaround about EFI system partition.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

124 Posts

05-24-2009

Canada

168 Signins

1597 Page Views

• Views: 1597
  • Message 3 of 5

2021-10-06, 20:43 PM

There is a chance that you have picked a Linux that isn't prepared for Secure Boot and that your machine has Secure Boot enabled.  The normal Ubuntu, Fedora, and SuSE installation media ought to work with secure boot.

Another thing:  I have experienced problems with the firmware on the ThinkCentre M75q Gen 2.  In particular, the firmware UI only lets you chose which ESP/disk to boot but not the system within that ESP.  See https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/UEFI-choosing-the-boot-sequence-within-a-device/m-p/5081964?page=1

Note: the firmware NVRAM allows the system to be selected but the UI does not facilitate setting it.

(Each bootable disk has an ESP (EFI System Partition).  It's a very good idea to have no more than one ESP per disk.  When you select a disk to boot you are also selecting that disk's ESP.)

Options

2 Posts

10-06-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 15
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-10-06, 20:53 PM

Thanks Lorenzo,

I managed to install Debian with no problems but the bootloader wasn't accepted by the UEFI firmware. It does start just fine when renamed though.

EDIT:

Thanks Hugh,

Secure Boot is actually supported by the current Debian stable release but it is disabled on this machine at the moment.

I intend to enrol my own keys and sign the kernel & bootloader myself. This worked with a ThinkPad E485 I have.

Options

3656 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

286 Signins

18395 Page Views

• Views: 18395
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-10-13, 22:59 PM

Glad to hear about the progress.
We appreciate for updating us here.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms