DE

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad T14s (amd) Black screen after resume on Fedora 32

2020-07-17, 5:56 AM

Hi, folks,

The problem has been known for a long time that Thinkpads under various distributions only show a black screen when waking up after a suspend. The computer is still running - it's just an error in the display driver. In most cases it is said to have been solved by a newer kernel. Now there is already a very new kernel in Fedora 32. Also I have already as described here https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-Linux-Discussions/LENOVO-E595-Black-screen-on-resume/td-p/4575171?page=2

tried:

dnf install xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu

Therefore I wanted to ask if anyone else has problems with it. Fedora is supposed to run natively on Thinkpads soon, so I am even more surprised about this problem. Are there any other drivers you could test?

Options

1 Posts

08-01-2020

AU

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Thinkpad T14s (amd) Black screen after resume on Fedora 32

2020-08-01, 22:00 PM

I'm seeing the exact same issue.No resolution yet as I only just started searching for a solution and found your post.

Edit: Installing the drivers you had in your comment seems to have resolved it. Thanks!

Options

315 Posts

05-14-2020

US

162 Signins

1700 Page Views

• Views: 1700
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-08-01, 23:13 PM

Hello,

I have been using Fedora Linux upon my Lenovo Laptop for a number of years, and have NEVER noticed a problem with drivers.  The screen has never turned black, and I just noticed another long discussion regarding Function keys which for me have never ever functioned differently than as in Windows 10.

What is different about your configuration from mine?

I installed Fedora version 26 originally, downloading the Workstation image from getfedora.org, then I have progressed sequentially through the updates.  I am now running version 32 as I type this.  (Version 32 is for 64 bit bus machines just the same as version 31 was.)

I dual boot with Windows, so my bios is UEFI mode and always has been.    

I primarily use Gnome desktop, and installed KDE desktop recently, but have only used that Plasma display mode once or twice.  the few times I clicked here and there seemed to work just great.

I am under impression the Gnome and KDE desktops are written using some graphics engine named WAYLAND, and not X-windows.   So I question whether updating x-windows has any application at all to Desktops using Wayland.  I have never attempted to program using WAYLAND or X-windows I just noticed the naming differences.

Sincerely,

Usedtoberich

Options

2 Posts

07-17-2020

DE

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-08-04, 15:14 PM

I just got resolved the issue by installing a newer kernel

Some things are still buggy, like losing randomly the trackpad mouse but Suspend issue is resolved. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete