cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Psi
Paper Tape
Views: 7,534
Message 11 of 19

Re: ThunderBolt 3 Dockingstation and Linux?

Thx for your answer!

But 4k is a critical point cause you need much more bandwith for the high resolution

MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 6,684
Message 12 of 19

@hexmode wrote:

They are pricy.

But I now have 3 external monitors hooked up to one, plus ethernet and a wireless keyboard.

To get USB on the docking station to work in Linux I had to disable security for Thunderbolt connections in the BIOS.  I'm not sure what the security got me, so I'm ok with that.

Now, if only we could use the docking station for charging, I would be over the moon.

I'm looking at this dock for a Yoga 370 running Linux and I want to use 3 external 1920x1080 monitors. Can you confirm that you are using the ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock model 40ac and it connects 3 external monitors under Linux? (I'll blank the laptop screen when using 3 external monitors.)

I can do without docking station charging if I can get 3 monitor support.

MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 6,681
Message 13 of 19

@Psi wrote:
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to connect two 4k Screens @60Hz?

See https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd029622#Thunderbolt

That matrix shows that you can connect two displays at 3840*2160@60Hz. (That resolution is typically considered 4K.)

atyurina
What's DOS?
Views: 4,091
Message 14 of 19

If your laptop is dual boot, you can "accept" thunderbolt docking station in Windows. The signing happens at BIOS level and you do not have to disable "thunderbolt 3 security" to use docking station in Linux.

rxmd
What's DOS?
Views: 3,479
Message 15 of 19

@atyurina wrote:

If your laptop is dual boot, you can "accept" thunderbolt docking station in Windows. The signing happens at BIOS level and you do not have to disable "thunderbolt 3 security" to use docking station in Linux.

Actually you can do this also without Windows. There is a tool for managing these authentications called boltd. If your Linux distribution has boltd installed, it comes with a configuration utility called boltctl. Use boltctl list to list all plugged Thunderbolt devices and see their UUIDs, then use boltctl authorize (UUID) to authorize a specific device. You need superuser privileges for that.

kopkop
Paper Tape
Views: 3,067
Message 16 of 19

Hi guys, for those who have multiple monitors, what is your dedicated GPU ?

Do you make use of the Nvidia proprietary driver on all your screens without any bad consequence ?

Does it work out of the box ?

By any chance, do some of you use CUDA ?

Regards

LinuxWerner
Punch Card
Views: 3,026
Message 17 of 19

Thanks for the tip about BIOS/Thunderbolt setting.  After I did that, I can use the TB3 with my X1E.  Accessing USB disks works fine, and I connected a 4K monitor via HDMI to the dock.  What does not (yet?) work is sound output.  Does anybody else have problems with that?  Could it be that the system gets confused with sound output to the HDMI connection and not the 3.5mm output in the front?

BTW, I am using Debian Buster.

cheers,

Werner

HonzaMolnar
Serial Port
Views: 2,939
Message 18 of 19

Hi , the sound issue can be related to device profiles of your sound card (in my case Build-in Audio). Let me explain my situation, maybe yours is similar: In system audio settings (probably based on PulseAudio) I can either select profile Analog Stereo Output to use computer speakers or jack, or another HDMI profile to use sound over USB-C or HDMI. They cannot be used at once and the first one is selected by default. (On the other hand other devices I have – BT speakers, headphones... – can be used at once, because they have their own sound cards, so the profile selection for the build-in one does not affect them. My Lenovo USB-C Dock is IIRC having integrated sound card, I suppose ThunderBolt Dock will have it as well, so the issue will probably be somewhere else anyway.)

kgr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,441
Message 19 of 19

@rxmd thanks - this did the trick for me!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors