Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmjg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,100
Message 1 of 3

Thunderbolt 3 Support in Linux for Legion Y720

Is there a workaround to enable Thundelbolt 3/USB-C support in Linux for Y720 devices?

I'm getting the "No Thunderbolt Support" in Gnome under Fedora 28 and Ubuntu 18.04 similar to this:

Image result for fedora thunderbolt

On the Y720 BIOS, there is no option regarding Thunderbolt configuration or security.

I havent tried plugging in an actual device Thunderbolt device though. 

I'm also not able to read from a USB-C flash drive.

shiftyphil
Punch Card
Views: 562
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thunderbolt 3 Support in Linux for Legion Y720

The interface not showing is not necessarily an issue, the thunderbolt chip basically powers down when not connected to anything.

However, I share the ssame of issue of it not working properly with USB devices.

A usb flash drive will work if it's inserted at boot - presumably the BIOS sets it up correctly.

An attempt to plug a device after boot however results in nothing.

Haven't had a chance to try an actual thunderbolt device fully yet, but will hopefully soon.

I suspect it won't work either, as the force_power wmi flag supposed to make it turn on does not work either.

It works fine for me in Windows, so there's some specific incompatibility in Linux with the Y720.

Bill_954
Punch Card
Views: 325
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thunderbolt 3 Support in Linux for Legion Y720

I had a similar problem with wifi and bluetooth on Mint: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Running-Linux-Mint-19-1-on-Y720-wifi-and-bluetooth-not-w...

in resume, I fixed it by going to the archive: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and adding this line at the end: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

I'm not sure if it will work for thunderbolt, but I gues if there's a way to fix it, it must be some of the same kind

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors