Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AuditorOfRealit
What's DOS?
Views: 1,047
Message 81 of 90

Re: Troubles with X1 Carbon 2018 (X1C6) TouchPad and TrackPoint under Linux

Hi,

I hope this is the right place to ask. I am a bit new to Linux and just installed Ubuntu 18.04 on my new Thinkpad X1 Carbon.

At first, the touchpad did not react properly, so I I commented out # blacklist i2c_i801 in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and added psmouse.synaptics_intertouch=1 to /etc/default/grub

Now, the touchpad generally works, but it is still behaving erratically, mainly the the "tap to click" feature: It works sometimes, then stops working for minutes, then works again without any apparent reason... 

Is this a known problem, and how can I get it to work consistently?

RadekR
Paper Tape
Views: 1,012
Message 82 of 90

I have exactly same problem here - i solved the touchpad's lazy reaction issue, but the bugging tap to click" feature drives me crazy. (X1C6)

Did you manage to solve it? Is there any way? It sucks that lenovo doesnt support this.

xxlsm1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 993
Message 83 of 90

@AuditorOfRealit

There is no need to commented out # blacklist i2c_i801 in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf.

Everything you need to do in order to have a proper working touchpad is to edit the /etc/default/grub file and change the line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

To this line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash psmouse.synaptics_intertouch=0"

It is important to set it to 0 not 1, in order to get it to work.

After that you need to execute this command in the terminal:

sudo update-grub

Then after a restart everything should work as expected (tested on Mint).

In combination with the most recent bios update and touchpad and trackpoint firmware update it did the job for me (avaliable on the lenovo site).

Other sources related to this issue (from the last page):
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1791427

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1791427/comments/94

RadekR
Paper Tape
Views: 976
Message 84 of 90

Well, actually setting quiet splash psmouse.synaptics_intertouch from 1 to 0 was the solution to unfreeze my touchpad after sleep and etc. To be sure, I rechecked it and set the quiet splash psmouse.synaptics_intertouch=0 - my touchpad was broken again. But apparently we know how to fix this, the remaning problem is that tap to click rarely works.

schmoove
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 962
Message 85 of 90

Setting `psmouse.synaptics_intertouch from 1 to 0` does not work for my up-to-date setup (Ubuntu 18.04, Kernel 4.15.0-51-generic, BIOS 1.38), while `0` breaks the touchpad-behavior so much, that using it is useless, as the the cursor only reacts here and there for merely a second and then freezes again. Setting to `1` gets the trackpad working, but only if the trackpoint is turned off in the BIOS. Waking up from sleep fails sometimes, sometimes it works.

My best suggestion: use an external mouse.

As a long time Linux user for over 15 years, I have gotten used to waiting roundabout half a year until brandnew hardware runs smoothly. My X1C6 is 15 months old and this issue is really frustrating. I miss my X1C3 dearly and the Lenovo quality I once cherished so much. My X1C6 is my fourth Notebook in a row from Lenovo and most likely my last.

kaeltab
What's DOS?
Views: 954
Message 86 of 90

You could try a newer kernel version.

For me, Touchpad and Trackpoint are working without problems with the following installation:

Ubuntu 18.10

Kernel: 4.18.0-20-generic

BIOS: 1.37

Just had to comment out the blacklist line, but other comments suggest that this is not necessary anymore.

zaphot
SCSI Port
Views: 805
Message 87 of 90

Regarding your tap-to-click dropouts: this is a known bug in 18.04 and fixed in newer libinput versions:

from the arch linux wiki: “A bug in the libinput library that caused dropouts of the tap-to-click functionality of the touchpad on the X1 Carbon 6th Gen has been fixed in libinput 1.11.2, which was released on 3 July 2018”

libinput bug report: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/issues/46

try ubuntu 19.04 or the hacky way: grab the libinput deb files from ubuntu 19.04 and install them on ubuntu 18.04
RadekR
Paper Tape
Views: 780
Message 88 of 90

Confirmed. Thank you!  

prg9
Paper Tape
Views: 764
Message 89 of 90

Hi Folks,

Would some people try installing 

sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-hwe-18.04 (or just xserver-xorg-input-synaptics if you aren't running ubuntu 18.04 as I am).

reboot and let me know if it works, I hope it will. 

I haven't tried this will the different blacklist options and the grub config combinations but you might get success with that install. 

prg9
Paper Tape
Views: 756
Message 90 of 90

With xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-hwe-18.04 installed I have I have got rid of

psmouse.synaptics_intertouch=1

but kept blacklist i2c_i801 commented out and everything seems to be good and the config options for the trackpad are back.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors