cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GarneshMike
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,243
Message 21 of 24

Re: SOLVED *** Re: Ubuntu 17.10 corrupts Lenovo BIOS - USB not recognized + not saving new BIOS sett

DID anyone try below from (https://askubuntu.com/questions/984043/unable-to-make-changes-in-bios-after-17-10-installation)

Install Ukuu

Its easy to update the kernel with Ubuntu Kernel Update Utility (Ukuu), Click here.
sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ukuu
Update the kernel

Select the kernel 4.14.9 and select Install. wait for the installation to be completed and then restart the PC.
Restart the system with the latest kernel

From GRUB select the option which starts with "Advanced options".

Select Ubuntu GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.14.9-generic. wait for the system to load completely.
Restart again and go into the BIOS
Restart the system again and check the BIOS to see if the problem is fixed.
vicserratos
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,173
Message 22 of 24

Re: Ubuntu 17.10 corrupts Lenovo BIOS - USB not recognized + not saving new BIOS settings

Here is a much faster and easier solution, with uuku I had to try it 3 times because it is necessary to install packages and install them every time you try so if the first time the kernel is not installed try it several times.

1.- Install uuku:

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ukuu

2.- Update kernel

Select the Kernel 4.14.9 and Install, wait and then restart the PC.

3.- Restart the system with the Kernel 4.14.9 

First choose the option in GRUB "Advanced Options"

After select:

Ubuntu GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.14.9-generic

4.- Restart again and check the BIOS

SHOMIL97
What's DOS?
Views: 2,345
Message 23 of 24

Re: Ubuntu 17.10 corrupts Lenovo BIOS - USB not recognized + not saving new BIOS settings

Plz help me bios bricked because of using ubuntu 17.10. Now no os is installed and laptop is not accepting boot from usb... I searched with lenovo care mother board costs rupees 11000... But m looking for an cheap solution.... Any help will be apritiated thnx in advnx. 

Moderator note: post merged with existing thread.  Subject edited to match.  Was: Lenovo yoga 300 Bios bricked after installing ubuntu 17.10.

step8118
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,059
Message 24 of 24

I've a little problem, related to this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1734147
I've booted Ubuntu 17.10 from a USB stick on mine Lenovo G-50 ( I don't remember now if in live or persistence mode), after that moment i coulnd't change mine bios settings anymore, now every time I power on mine laptop a message appear saying "USB boot failed" and I need to press enter to enter in Windows, if i change the settings in the bios they won't be saved, does the workaround of changing kernel of ubuntu works for me too?

Moderator note: post merged with existing thread.  Subject edited to match.  Was: Ubuntu 17.10 corrupted bios G-50  with usb boot device

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors