cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mtlryk
Blue Screen Again
Views: 858
Message 1 of 3

Unusable Ideapad 720s (intel i7) - Weirdest display glitch when booting on any Linux distro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6HxgkyOelU

So I received a brand new Ideapad 720s and the hardware is pretty great. I've booted Windows once, updated the BIOS, then installed Linux Mint from USB. 

The previous video is what I see anytime the computer is open and not running Windows. It will do that visual glitch if I live boot on Mint, Ubuntu, Kali, and will also do that on an installed and updated Linux Mint (tried latest stable 18 and beta 19). For some reason, the display will go berserk only when using Linux. 

I tried loading a Windows installer from USB, and the display worked fine. 

The display glitch occurs the moment the OS boots up. That means right after grub, or after the Lenovo splashscreen if no grub installed. 

The laptop is unusable like that, obviously. There are not many software details I can provide since it happens on all Linux distros, even live-booted from USB. 

Interesting details :

- The laptop has the 4k screen.

- BIOS was updated to the latest version available

- Laptop is brand new

- Secure boot is disabled

- I've never had any issue actually booting on USB

- I've created bootable Linux drives from both Linux (unetbootin) and Windows (Rufus). Both won't work. 

- I tried with virtualization tech on and off, with legacy and UFEI, didn't change anything

Has this even happened to anyone else? Any idea what's going on? I feel clueless. 

EDIT : 

Absolutely everything else works like a charm. I don't even get the Software Rendering error message. It's super fast, audio is fine, WiFi works great. It's really just the display that is being a terrible friend with no compassion whatsoever for the 6h I've lost trying to figure out what's happening Smiley Sad 

richrath
What's DOS?
Views: 558
Message 2 of 3

Re: Unusable Ideapad 720s (intel i7) - Weirdest display glitch when booting on any Linux distro

same issue. seems to be only on the high resolution displays. I am trying at the manjaro forums to solve: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/seizure-inducing-video-tearing-upon-entering-livecd-xfce-minimal/47924/5
richrath
What's DOS?
Views: 556
Message 3 of 3

Re: Unusable Ideapad 720s (intel i7) - Weirdest display glitch when booting on any Linux distro

plz LMK if solved

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors