Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jimis0
Paper Tape
Views: 1,498
Message 191 of 197

Re: Validity Fingerprint Reader Linux

@CBHedricksAgain - to get traction on this - get on the phone and file an official complaint.

This has not worked for me. Through the official support website, whoever I managed to get in touch with, declared not responsible for such software issues. They pointed me to this forum instead, as the only available channel for such things.

MiHo2017
Paper Tape
Views: 2,138
Message 192 of 197

1 1/2 year later - nothing. Lenovo you s*ck...

element118
Paper Tape
Views: 2,092
Message 193 of 197

NO... they don't s**k - they're too lazy to do even this...

the only thing they need to do - share specifications or if NDA is a problem - make a proprietary version of libfprint

no comments -_-

dbao
Punch Card
Views: 2,081
Message 194 of 197

@element118 wrote:

NO... they don't s**k - they're too lazy to do even this...

the only thing they need to do - share specifications or if NDA is a problem - make a proprietary version of libfprint

no comments -_-

The issue is not from NDA or any part of the software. The issue is, current model of FP reader uses on chip verification and acts as a FIDO device. Libfprint need vendor's certificate to decode messages from FP reader but this certificate is not possible to get.

The situation is very similar to VLC video player's Bluray certificate. While most bluray player vendors can get certificate from movie company so people can play disc. But VLC, despite it is just another player, cannot get certificate so it cannot play most of the bluray discs.

element118
Paper Tape
Views: 2,046
Message 195 of 197

If the situation was similar to VLC - there will be some unofficial but fully working methods (you can make vlc play encrypted blu-rays, just find a file with keys, library libcss is aleready existing)... if certificate only - just pull it from official driver, but 06cb:009a  (T480,T580,X380,X280) sensor is a match-on-chip.. it's more secure, but also it does not send image of fingerprint to libfprint (no backwards compatible) ... so we need not a libfprint modification but a completely different piece of software.

element118
Paper Tape
Views: 1,777
Message 196 of 197

A small addition:

a friend of mine said that these fingerprint readers are not readers at all...

it's more like USB token / smartcard, where PIN replaced with a touch of a finger..

maybye try to use libraries that work with smartcards than frankensteining togehter some kind of a libfprint for a match-on-chip ?

olinart
What's DOS?
Views: 1,683
Message 197 of 197

My T480 has a synaptics 06cb:009a fingerprint reader which is apparently not working in the Validity reader yet. I expected better linux support from Lenovo. Community support should not be required for the drivers for hardware Lenovo has chosen and for a problem persisting for several years. That said, I applaud the good work of the Validity collaborators and look forward to a solution soon.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors