Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LenovoFan1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,152
Message 171 of 197

Re: Validity Fingerprint Reader Linux

Its not at all pointless to urge Lenovo to ask its supplier (the hardware manufacturer in this particular case) to provide drivers for a common OS. Selecting the manufacturer to provide a subsystem is clearly Lenovo's responsibility.

dbao
Punch Card
Views: 3,625
Message 172 of 197

@LenovoFan1wrote:

Its not at all pointless to urge Lenovo to ask its supplier (the hardware manufacturer in this particular case) to provide drivers for a common OS. Selecting the manufacturer to provide a subsystem is clearly Lenovo's responsibility.

Because there is no such option for most laptop vendors in the reality. First, Apple acquired AuthenTec,  Lenovo then had to use Validity. Now Validity was acquired by Synaptics, which turned down every Linux user.

Same thing happened for the LTE module -- until now we still do not see any main street vendors use EM7565.  And this is the begining of the long long discussion about how to enable Fibocom L850 under Linux here..

As I said before: You don't have to use Synaptics fingerprinter reader. Just keep on using old laptop, or typing in your password everytime. It is still the same world  and the same Linux.

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,456
Message 173 of 197

Yes indeed... It is the same old world, nothing new there.

I agree - trying to make Lenovo the target for getting a driver made up for the hodge podge of manufactures involved with the game is pointless.

Once the manufacture changes ownership, the rules change as well. As shown - Synaptics does not play well with Linux so a driver is out of the question.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
LenovoFan1
Paper Tape
Views: 3,343
Message 174 of 197

Yes, indeed, this is so true.

Market demand will create improved solutions.

Definitely Lenovo as one of the major players is able to urge it's suppliers to change and to unleash

the full potential of their wonderfull laptop equipment under Linux, especially fingerprint user friendly access as my humble case.

Users wo can live with keyboard access, and they still exist within linux community to a large extent, do not need it of course, no point in convincing others to go back to the former times.

So, yes Lenovo, if you value this part of the Linux community, please find a solution with your suppliers. If the group who need it is to small, I would'nt bother either. But maybe fair to mention which features are not Linux supported announcing new products.

I learned the hard way, and it's not the most customer friendly way.

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,302
Message 175 of 197

What it boils down to is market influence, not pressure.  Microsoft is the gorilla in the marketplace, and it shows.  Getting Linux acceptance has always been an uphill battle, with 2 steps forward one step back it seems.

Fingerprint readers and such are a "convenient tool" not a required hardware solution.  The better security is to have a strong password and rotation practice over biometrics.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
maledes
What's DOS?
Views: 3,233
Message 176 of 197

Hi Team,

Still waiting for the t470 138a:0097

LenovoFan1
Paper Tape
Views: 3,110
Message 177 of 197

Hello Lenovo,

please also look into support of one of your newer laptops:

Fingerprint driver (Linux) for T580 ID 06cb:009a

Many thanks.

xtetox
Paper Tape
Views: 2,694
Message 178 of 197

Lenovo Thinkpad L570 have ID 138a:0097 i cannot find nothing there can you help me please
kostanos
Paper Tape
Views: 2,516
Message 179 of 197

Mine is Lenovo Ideapad 720S Touch-15IKB. Using it with Ubuntu 16.04 since I bough it 6 months ago.

Fingerprint reader is the only pending issue on it.

Lenovo, any updates?

MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 2,467
Message 180 of 197

@Edwardo_carlson wrote:

I wanted to register to express my displeasure with the inability to use Linux on newer thinkpads and have everything work. Linux compatability is the reason i've always looked at the Thinkpad line of Lenovos. After this, and 0 response from Lenovo I'll be choosing a company that embraces Linux for all my future purchases for myself and my company. I reccomend you all do the same.

https://system76.com/

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/campaigns/xps-linux-laptop?c=us&l=en&s=biz

https://www.entroware.com/store/

It may surprise you to learn that even System76 does not guarantee all hardware devices are supported by Linux. I had this experience with System76 some years ago. (Sorry I do not remember the exact details now, but their answer shocked me. It was the same answer I would have gotten from a non-Linux company.) All of these manufacturers will experience similar issues with some hardware. I find System76 overpriced. And while I agree with you in general, I also find Lenovo does better than most when it comes to Linux support and I do not find Lenovo to be any worse than Dell or System76. That's just my experience.

I do think we should keep voicing our desire for better Linux support. What I personally do is every single time Lenovo asks me to fill out a survery (which is quite often), I mention that Linux support is important to me.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors